Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2012, 13:36   #46
BHPian

Re: Was the older model better?

This is indeed a fascinating thread!
Contrary to what many here feel, I feel that the Hyundai Verna Transform looked better than the original – Think about it. When the original was launched in 2006, many found its styling as ‘plain jane’ and unexciting. However, with time we grew to love its performance and the looks too grew on us. My preference for the Transform’s styling was aptly put in words by automobile journalist Muntaser Mirkar in the following article:

Hyundai Verna Transform a much-needed makeover - Economic Times

I too agree with the following:
  • Maruti Suzuki Zen MH410 was way better than the Zen Estilo (actually a Suzuki MR Wagon). Introducing the rebadged MR Wagon as a successor to the MH410 was an assassination, both design-wise and looks-wise.
  • 1st generation Honday City, especially the version with clear-lens lamps, was a quite a stunning car in the looks department compared to the dolphin-nosed successor. It looked and drove like a bullet. Even one of its print adverts sported a bullet.
  • 1st generation Ford Endeavour was a thoroughbred masculine-looking SUV. I loved it in the black and silver dual color livery. The later versions look more bling than butch.
Old 20th July 2012, 13:47   #47
Senior - BHPian

Performance/Functionality/Environmental cleanliness/Fuel economy wise almost all the newer models exceed the older ones. That is progress. Looks are subjective. Two examples
1) Tata Safari. The 2012 version is niggle free, powerful, Euro4 compliant, more fuel efficent and better to ride/drive than any of the older models.

2) Maruti Alto: The newer alto does every thing better than the older one period. There is a general thining of body panels (maybe to keep weight/cost down) and lack of plastic cladding in the boot area but Hey! if the new alto (800cc) in 2012 costs the same as my Alto bought in 2005 then yes, some cost reduction has to be done!!
Old 20th July 2012, 14:46   #48
BHPian

You win some, you lose some.
Stricter regulations and changing consumer preferences lead to a situation in which the car makers have to cut down on area to improve on the other. Newer cars may feature newer gizmos, safet gadgets and what not, but they may come at the price of comfort and ease of use.
Moroever the grass is greener on the other side, leaving people to think the new/old car is much better.
mahesh.kolary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 20:18   #49
BHPian

If sales figures are anything to go by, I'd say that the new Fiesta offers a weaker proposition that its predecessor, the Fiesta Classic. Of course, the new Fiesta brings a lot to the table, but eod, value lies in the eyes of the buyer
Old 20th July 2012, 23:30   #50
BHPian

The original Swift! The next two versions have been good, but the most exciting? the original 1.3 L powered Swift
The same applies to the Fiesta! The engine ruins what should have been considered a significant improvement, leaving the enthusiasts with no option other than to settle for a still excellent and newly VFM Fiesta Classic. 1.6 S
I would pick the original version of the Linea any day over the softened down new versions rolling out now
The older I20 had better highway manners and the 1.2 was quicker too (Looks, at least in this case are subjective)
srikanth.vemuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 17:30   #51
IRS

Interesting topic!

According to my knowledge:

Old Honda City (VTEC) vs the newer ones
Definitely the Zen

I am kind of divided on the very first Maruti 800 (the one with frameless boot door) vs the one launched next. Actually both had their positives and negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
However in terms of gizmos probably the present one is better.
Not if you take into consideration the older L&K Version. It's loaded upto the brim.
Old 22nd July 2012, 20:26   #52
BHPian

The Zen takes the cake.

Other contenders(purely my opinion):
i> The old Innova and the new Innova.
ii>The old A-star and the new Beige interior A-star.
iii>The old Tata Safari and the new one.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:26   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS View Post
I preferred the older Passat, when compared to the newer. The suspension on the new one is softer.
Yeah... the whole philosophy of car manufacturers being obsessed with family look for all their models has new model launches excruciatingly boring. Why would I want a 22 lac Jetta that looks like a 7 lac Polo when viewed from the front. The new Passat is no different. Hyundai has been doing the same to all its vehicles lately. Agreed, their new designs are stunning but its starting to wear out with the latest Elantra looking like a slightly blown up Verna.

The less mentioned about Audis, the better.
Old 25th July 2012, 11:21   #54
BHPian

Excellent thread this one!!!

I'd like to point out that the Chevy Spark had a makeover where the power was reduced to accomodate better fuel economy.. The peppiness of the engine was all gone too..

Apart from that, as mentioned earlier, Honda City's hideous "Dolphin - Car" was nowhere near the first gen City. And MSIL just broke the hearts of enthusiasts by launching the Estilo...

Other cars that I feel, have lost their character because of a facelift would include:
Innova, FIESTA, Verna (the original one), Swift, IKON, Safari Storme, Upcoming Honda Civic (UGH!!)

One more thing I'd like to point out is that the exterior metal gauge has been reduced in many cars over the years, in an effort to reduce cost n weight.

This has resulted in the loss of the 'fun-to-drive' factor altogether.

Especially in the case of Monocoque vehicles, the effect has been really bad!!
Old 25th July 2012, 11:49   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb View Post

One more thing I'd like to point out is that the exterior metal gauge has been reduced in many cars over the years, in an effort to reduce cost n weight.altogether.
Metal gauge might have been reduced , but that has been compensated with the usage of higher tensile steel and strength .
Old 25th July 2012, 15:19   #56
BHPian

Quote:

I'd like to point out that the Chevy Spark had a makeover where the power was reduced to accomodate better fuel economy.. The peppiness of the engine was all gone too..

Apart from that, as mentioned earlier, Honda City's hideous "Dolphin - Car" was nowhere near the first gen City. And MSIL just broke the hearts of enthusiasts by launching the Estilo...

Other cars that I feel, have lost their character because of a facelift would include:
Innova, FIESTA, Verna (the original one), Swift, IKON, Safari Storme, Upcoming Honda Civic (UGH!!)

One more thing I'd like to point out is that the exterior metal gauge has been reduced in many cars over the years, in an effort to reduce cost n weight.

@Carb..

I totally agree with your list of cars that have lost their charm. I would like to add a few from my end - The New Mahindra Xylo, The Upcoming Alto and The New Skoda Laura (with the rounded headlamps, they just dont justify the straight lines of rest of the car).
Old 25th July 2012, 22:46   #57

Did any of you have a look at the Mahindra Verito? There were some pics uploaded on Motorbeam. The makeover is good with changes to the front bumper and headlights and rear bumper and taillights, these changes ought to do a world of good for the Verito..
Old 26th July 2012, 21:45   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh.kolary View Post
You win some, you lose some.
Stricter regulations and changing consumer preferences lead to a situation in which the car makers have to cut down on area to improve on the other. Newer cars may feature newer gizmos, safet gadgets and what not, but they may come at the price of comfort and ease of use.
Moroever the grass is greener on the other side, leaving people to think the new/old car is much better.
Totally agree with your win some lose some point but I dont think comfort, per se, goes down. Speaking as a petrolhead who gets his jollies from handling and performance, I found the 'dolphin' Honda City a horrible abomination when it was released, and not because it looked so ugly, but because they'd done away with the super handling and performance of the old one. Ditto with the Zen Estilo, ditto with the neutered Ford Ikon, ditto with the old-gen Swift when they moved from the 1.3 to the 1.2L engine.

Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:
I completely agree that the new Endeavour looks like it's been emasculated. The whole badass-butch look's completely gone from the car. Not a newfan of the new Civic either... looks like a stretched current-Gen City. But, like I said, this wasn't about only the looks. It was more about the whole car.

Quote:
Wouldn't lower weight make the car more fun to drive?
Also, lower weight doesn't mean it's flimsier... they just use steel that has higher tensile strength. Safety technology in cars grows with leaps and bounds every year with the use of new and improved materials, fabrication techniques, crumple zones, and the like.
Old 31st July 2012, 10:00   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Wouldn't lower weight make the car more fun to drive?
Also, lower weight doesn't mean it's flimsier... they just use steel that has higher tensile strength. Safety technology in cars grows with leaps and bounds every year with the use of new and improved materials, fabrication techniques, crumple zones, and the like.
What I feel about this is, lower weight doesnt actually mean a better car to drive... in case of a weight reductions, at least if the downforce had been increased through better aerodynamics, I'd completely agree with you. On the other hand, driving through corners in a battle tank isnt my idea of fun either.

And when it comes to the exterior gauge, Im sorry to say, the grade of steel used in a few car makers that i kno of, have been the same for a long time.. and the gauge thickness have been reduced only as a cost cutting measure.. Please do talk to some Fortuner customers about wat happens to their car bumpers when they run into something like an Alto :(
I completely agree with what u said on crumple zones. But the use of improved materials hasnt really caught my eye mate
Old 31st July 2012, 10:14   #60
BHPian

I still think that there hasn't been a better driver's car than the old Octavia vRS in our market. It looked awesome with the bodykit, it was a rocket, it handled beautifully and it was quite well priced. The old vRS was something that a normal person could aspire for.
The new vRS may be better in all departments, but has a stratospheric price tag and it still does not pull at the heart strings like the older model.
amitg79 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks