Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2012, 08:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Was the older model better?

Excellent topic, although i would respectfully disagree to the title Older model better.

Why? because better is a very subjective word. Something that looks better to me may not look the same way to many others. All the time the manufacturers try to change things for the better (In whatever department they deem fit) some folks like it and some dont, so its a mixed bag.

As far as i am concerned i likes the First and Second Gen Honda City and disliked the Dolphin look one as it did not seemed stable at high speeds (Just by the look of it), where as i know many in the family who loved it more than the first two versions.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Old 15th July 2012, 09:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Excellent topic, although i would respectfully disagree to the title Older model better.
Agree, It cant be stereotyped, latest Verna is a good example that newer models are better than previous ones.

But Cant be better examples than our good old Fiats (Premiers Padminis) The older generation (1970) were so strong and rugged, their quality just went down post 80s.

Similarly the original Maruti 800 (full hatch open type). The newer models were a complete disaster in terms of looks and quality.

So this trend is been for a while now and that's why maybe people around us think older models were better.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 15th July 2012 at 10:09. Reason: Explained in a better way
Old 15th July 2012, 09:56   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806
Completely agree. Nice topic, but most of the replies are on just personal preferences I guess. For example, some may say the upcoming 3 is not as good as the outgoing one - even before the former is launched in India. Or the Skoda Laura has lost masculinity compared to the earlier one with boxy front-end.

I personally like the newer versions always. In some cases it just take time to get over the goodness of the old one - for e.g.; the 5 series. When the current 5 was launched, I initially thought its a step backwards, but when I look at it now, I feel the current 5 is really a well sorted out piece of engineering from the German giant.

One car with which I really thought the old one was better - The Honda City which replaced the first gen in India was really a bad work.
Old 15th July 2012, 10:36   #19
BHPian

Going purely by looks:

1) the to be launched Safari Storme looks horrible as compared to the current one. Its boxy appearance and lack of curves is a total turn off. Current Safari is a legend.

2) I prefer the older Innova than the current one.

3) Hyundai Verna transform (not fluidic) is a perfect example of things gone all wrong as far as looks are concerned.

4) Fiat Palio Stile comes nowhere near the old Fiat Palio. Old Palio's design still looks so fresh and contemporary.
Old 15th July 2012, 10:43   #20
BHPian

I always felt the older Skoda Octy had the best looks in the Skoda stable. The notchback boot was a perfect fit for that and had perfect proportions when looked from the side. If you call Rapid ( in India) and Laura ( Internatioanlly) as replacements for Octy, on the looks (exterior) front both did not match. Again this is in my opinion.
Car&me is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 11:03   #21
BHPian

The Zen to Zen Estilo was probably one of the worst. A car known for its go kart like handling was spoilt by MSIL by introducing the tallboy Estilo.

The Verna transform was simply hideous as well. Hyundai could have thought of something else to clear stocks of the old model.

E90 → F30 & E60 → F10 ▬ The only thing I hate is the hydraulic steerings being replaced by the EPS. After driving cars with the hydraulic power steering like my Punto and temporary Figo, the EPS in most cars seems devoid of feel and the driving pleasure is lost.
Old 15th July 2012, 11:06   #22
BHPian

another example:

Merc W124 were better and more reliable than the generations that followed it. no wonder, it is on its way now to attain a cult classic status.
Old 15th July 2012, 11:24   #23
BHPian

Mod Note : As per the recent mass PM, please do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name. Any further usage of acronyms will invite severe Moderator action on your account. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 16th July 2012 at 16:23. Reason: Please do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars. Full make + model only
Old 15th July 2012, 11:56   #24
BHPian

Great thread! This is really relevant to Indian customers I feel because the original model released is always CBU imports or with a small percentage of localization. But with more localization, the quality may go down, bringing us models which are cheaper but with less quality. This is especially true for Maruti cars, cases in point are the original M800, Zen, Wagon R, etc.

Another major reason behind newer models being worse than older models is 'costdown'. A costdown model aims at removing stuff that the designers think are not necessary, replacing materials (metal with plastics/fiber), changing thicknesses of panels, etc. All new cars are designed for a specific time frame, unlike older models which were designed for life (they dint have the tools to design for a timeframe, so they 'over' designed).

But somewhere along the way, due to lack of coordination between various teams and whatnot, problems creep in (like vibrations) that were not initially anticipated. Well, a car is a complex machine, and designed with very tight deadlines, and cost per car is really really important since even a rupee per car means a sizable difference in overall profit.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:21   #25
BHPian

Its totally a personal perspective. Though I like Honda city's latest version and Fludic Verna, can’t really the same about Dzire and Swifts new Avatar. The reasons for car manufactures could be different for bringing in á newer version, but for customers its always better of everything that was offered before. Be it the KMPL, safety features, latest design to lower cost of ownership (overall).
I still love to own an original M800 for the grocery shopping, while the new Honda does the job of daily office routine.
Old 15th July 2012, 13:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

I have always wondered what VW had in mind when they brought the new Jetta here, the ols car was a half heartd attempt, but still the car handles better, had better quality interiors too.

Hyundai's i20 with a face that doesn't gel with the sides made me wonder too, the original car looked much better than the current one.

The Ford Ikon's last avatar was sad, compared to the sporty faces the car had earlier sported. Apart from the Fiesta's 1.4L diesel engine, nothing was worthy in the Face-lifted Ikon to be called better.

The Lancer Cedia, which was expected to give the Lancer series in India the much deserved revival landed with only a Petrol engine, one that lacked horses too! Soft suspension made sure that the Cedia wasn't going to be a track tool either!
Old 15th July 2012, 16:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Great thread! According to my point of view, the two contenders to this are the zen estilo (old zen was much better) and the revised city (the 1st gen was too good).
Old 15th July 2012, 17:12   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The Ford Ikon's last avatar was sad, compared to the sporty faces the car had earlier sported. Apart from the Fiesta's 1.4L diesel engine, nothing was worthy in the Face-lifted Ikon to be called better.
In Ikon’s case, I guess the downgrading was more to give space to the Fiesta. It started with the introduction of the Flair variant. I remember, in 2003 I went to check out the Flair, and went back home with a 1.6 ZXI NxT

In actual fact, the Ikon’s successor was the Fiesta (now Classic), which by itself is quite a good car.
Old 15th July 2012, 17:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark
1) the to be launched Safari Storme looks horrible as compared to the current one. Its boxy appearance and lack of curves is a total turn off. Current Safari is a legend.
This was exactly my point, i prefer the Storme over the current one as QC for me is far more important than pure masculine looks. Same goes for Fortuner, although the older gen looked better i would always prefer the newer one which has slightly better ICE.

The Zen, my family has owned both the jelly bean design one and my brother drives the estelo. MSIL tried to address one of the biggest problems with older one "Space", in adressing space they lost out of drivability of the car. Which to some like my brother, its alright.
Old 16th July 2012, 00:29   #30
BHPian

Functionally newer is better in almost all the cases.
But, looks wize:
1. Current safari better than storme.
2. Old laura better than current one.
3. Previous E better than current.
4. Old innova than current.
5. First gen scorpio than current
6. Old passat than current
7. Current 3 than one to be launched
8. Old fortuner than current.
9. Old endy than current.
10. Old CLS than current.

List goes on...

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 16th July 2012 at 00:47.

Most Viewed