Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 12:26   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Strike woes haunt Maruti's Manesar plant again. 1 DEAD & Production hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As for the police etc. I guess it is probably necessary but how about renaming Maruti Suzuki as Stalag Maruti !
It may be OT but makes me wonder, how many strikes or labour issues happened at MSIL during Jagdish khattar's rein? How he was different from others?
Old 17th August 2012, 13:05   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
But on a serious note, isn't the firing of the 500 permanent workers a prerogative of MSIL? Every firm/organization has a code of conduct and even though all 500 of them were not actually involved in the violence, according to the inquiry conducted by MSIL they were either part of insubordination or violation of that code of conduct that MSIL has or should have. It happens in every organization but then MSIL should be prepared to face any negative fallout of the decisions if there are any.
Yes , it;s MSIL ;s prerogative But my grouse is that on One hand they are telling the world that those involved in violence will be dealt by Law as found by Investigating agencies, On the other hand they are resorting to sacking of employees Internally.

Still As per reports total 650 workers were working in A shift , ( which is suspected to be involved in violence) . Out of these 114 are in Jail , 500 Sacked ( this will go up as per them ) ,So effectively 36 people were not involved . it defies me how they comes to filter out these 36 people not involved. Clearly they have gone by the words of those who were admitted in hospitals and most probably without going in to the evidence .

So if i hold grudge against a worker, i can use the opportunity to get even

Aren ;t these Double standards . Perhaps Mounting losses must have forced them to sack all 500 workers rather than looking for evidence .

Edit:- Just found Below article on economic times

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/15529520.cms

To quote : -
Quote:
Yesterday, MSI Chairman had announced that the company was terminating the services of the workers saying the management have "lost confidence in them".

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 17th August 2012 at 13:25. Reason: added link
Old 17th August 2012, 15:10   #333
BANNED

As per today's lunchtime news the workers will be paid compensation as per the rules / agreement.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 15:14   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As per today's lunchtime news the workers will be paid compensation as per the rules / agreement.
Correct . If my memory is correct, i remember reading on some news site that sacked workers will get 3 months salary + 15 days of salary for each year they were working with MSIL.

As Worker will not be paid for the time during which company has declared lockout, so effectively workers will get 2 months salary as severance package.
Old 18th August 2012, 12:40   #335
BANNED

Why has Maruti/Suzuki like an ostrich buried its head. Agreed workers' violence was deplorable but why did it happen right in the first place. They might lay off workers but what have they done to address the grievances which have led to such incidences!

Reality is far more complex than fact, and prima facie it seems that neither the management nor the government has not woken up to the reality.

Personally I feel that more than Maruti it is the Govt., in failing to act as a watchdog and coming up with Labour Laws that is suited to the contemporary times, that is at fault.

Last edited by anandjha : 18th August 2012 at 12:42.
Old 18th August 2012, 15:12   #336
Senior - BHPian

Is MSIL really underpaying the employees? They are the largest in India, surely they can do better than that. And if there is a mass agitation happening from employee's side, like now, there is really something that MS management is doing wrong.
Old 18th August 2012, 16:20   #337
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
And if there is a mass agitation happening from employee's side, like now, there is really something that MS management is doing wrong.
All the arguments here against MSIL, whether in news channels or otherwise are based on this assumption. No one knows what that "something" is.... None of the 'somethings' disclosed have substance of coordinating an uprising resulting in physical violence.

If we haven't learnt in so many years in this country, we never will.
Old 21st August 2012, 16:47   #338
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki, India's largest carmaker, reopened its Manesar factory on Tuesday under a heavy police presence after a deadly riot shut the plant more than a month ago and cost the company more than $250 million in lost output.

Maruti restarts Manesar factory under heavy guard
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:17   #339
BANNED

Now RCB says that no more contract labour (limit to <10%) and Maruti Gujarat to be on stream latest by 2015.
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:55   #340
BHPian

I haven't weighed in on this. As much as I'm left-leaning in my politics, I cannot condone the type of violence that happened. Nothing of this nature can happen unless there is plenty of premeditation by the workers involved. I can't see how any management would want to let the same workers back in the factory.
Sorry, but if you have a grievance, our labour laws allow you to do a lot. Unfortunately many unions today are nothing but dadagiri outfits who use the collective strenght of the workers to obtain under-the table benefits from management for the leaders of the union, with some crumbs for the rank-and-file.
No-one wins here, not the workers, nor the management, all it does is foster a climate of tolerance to violence and corruption.

Last edited by filcord : 22nd August 2012 at 16:58.
filcord is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 17:00   #341
Senior - BHPian

Since the production resumed at the plant, do we need to edit the thread title?
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 17:57   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod's note: Closing thread. Topic no longer current.
Old 1st July 2016, 18:58   #343
BANNED

Maruti Suzuki worker gets bail in 2012 violence case

Quote:
According to sources, Amit Nain was granted bail by Supreme Court of India in the labour violence incident which erupted in Maruti Suzuki's Manesar plant in July 2012 and left an HR manager of Maruti Suzuki dead, and over three dozen executives injured.

Nearly 148 workers were arrested at the time. Out of which, 113 workers have already got bail till now, and rest 35 are still in jail. The arrests were made under various charges including rioting with weapons, murder, attempt to murder, unlawful assembly, assault and trespass.
SOURCE:
http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...-case/53008418

Last edited by GTO : 4th July 2016 at 11:23. Reason: Moving to existing thread :). Thanks!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2017, 09:44   #344
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Big thanks to dailydriver for sharing this update!

Maruti violence, death case: 31 convicted, 117 acquitted - http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le17440529.ece
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 09:10   #345
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to sdp1975 for sharing this update!

Thirteen Maruti workers sentenced to life imprisonment. Four workers sentenced to five years imprisonment. 14 workers let off with the jail term that they had already served.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...?homepage=true.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed