Team-BHP - Gujarat: All cars to be on CNG by July 2013! (Psst..didn't happen)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Gujarat: All cars to be on CNG by July 2013! (Psst..didn't happen) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/124053-gujarat-all-cars-cng-july-2013-psst-didnt-happen.html)

Saw a report on Times of India that the Gujarat High Court has ordered (for laws to be passed) for all four wheelers registered there to switch to CNG within one year!!:eek:
All cars in Gujarat to switch to gas within a year: HC - The Times of India

While it is a great move in terms of environment protection, I wonder how feasible this would be and the cost implications...
Also - what about the necessary refuelling infrastructure? Is it possible to have it across the state in one year?

This mentions all cars, implying petrol as well as diesel vehicles. I wonder, how is this possible? Can diesel cars be converted to gas? I am not sure if I have heard of this. Or am I missing out a huge fact here?? please:

Irrespective of feasibility, surely this is a blatant case of judicial overreach? Of late the judiciary has started encroaching gradually on the power of the executive, thanks mostly to hopelessly deadlocked and weak coalition governments. If I recall correctly, even the switch in Delhi to CNG for public vehicles was the result of a court order, as was the recent much-lamented order to remove sun film.

I hope this single judge order in Gujarat is set aside on appeal to the Gujarat high court bench or the supreme court.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilful (Post 2851836)
While it is a great move in terms of environment protection, I wonder how feasible this would be and the cost implications...
Also - what about the necessary refuelling infrastructure? Is it possible to have it across the state in one year?

The move is in right direction allright. but the feasbility remains a big question mark. Also how beneficial would it be for the car manufacturers, would they manufactures CNG cars only? What about out of state cars, would they too have to convert to CNG before entering Gujarat.

The bigger question is Whether CNG is available to cater to the ever growing needs. It will be a wait n watch for the public as well as Gujarat govt as to how they address all the issues.

I can't believe it.
Even luxury brands will have to launch CNG kits. Considering the number of industries coming up (which means more and more executive cars plying on Gujarat roads), is it feasible?
Also, no vehicles from outside the state will be able to enter the state. Even if petrol/diesel are available, there will be lesser number of bunks.
Lastly, I never believe in ToI reports :-D

I think this is short sightedness by the H'able High Court..

Its a free country & we are free to decide which car I buy from my hard earned money & which fuel powered car I want to buy.

Supposedly, If one buys a sports car or even a luxury car like a Merc or a BMW, do you think the owner / company will change them to run on gas?? Improbable.

I think this order will be restricted to commercial vehicles only as in Delhi.

Soon there will be a Litigation against this order in the supreme courts by the Govt. itself as this is an impossible order.:Frustrati

Excessive and ill-advised. Such rules don't really get anybody anywhere. It just results in resentment, agitation and subsequent change-management issues. What would have been prudent is to declare a long-term vision and have yearly milestones to reach that goal followed by strict implementation and regular progress review and correction.

e.g. Long-term Vision -> 100% CNG by 2015.
By end of 2012, all commercial public-transport (buses) need to be on CNG.
By end of 2013, all commercial vehicles (trucks, tempos) need to be on CNG.
By end of 2014, all taxies and autos need to be on CNG.
By end of 2014, all private vehicles below 8 lakhs need to be on CNG
By end of 2015, 100% CNG.

something like this ... just giving an example.

This seems to be a serious case of judicial overreach. And completely impossible to implement.
Ordering all existing vehicles, private and public, to convert to CNG at very short notice is going to benefit only one party - the CNG kit manufacturers and fitters. And it imposes undue hardship on the public.
Only one word to describe this - quixotic!

Sincerely hope this decision is appealed and gets reversed. Can the government not appeal on behalf of the people?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur
The move is in right direction allright. but the feasbility remains a big question mark. Also how beneficial would it be for the car manufacturers, would they manufactures CNG cars only? What about out of state cars, would they too have to convert to CNG before entering Gujarat.

The bigger question is Whether CNG is available to cater to the ever growing needs. It will be a wait n watch for the public as well as Gujarat govt as to how they address all the issues.

I think this appplies to 4 wheelers registered in Gujarat. Which means heavy vehicles with more than 6 wheels will be exempted. Strange rule.

This seems to be a classic case of overreach. The most polluting vehicles are the public transport: Buses, trucks and autos. Instead of identifying and punishing these errant vehicle owners, the court now wants every vehicle owner to suffer.

How about two wheelers? I regularly see old scooters, mopeds and some bikes spitting out enough white smoke to give bouts of cough to the other road users in the vicinity. Will they also be required to convert to CNG?

Why is it so difficult for the decision makers to shore up the implementation of the existing rules instead of framing new and ridiculous rules?

I have just written a similar post on the sun film verdict thread and now stumbled upon this new path breaking judgement by the respectable court. Its time to rein in the judiciary maybe? The courts these days have started taking a liking to deliver judgements which gets them media attention and is hailed as being morally correct even if at the cost of logic and practicality. I hope the report is false.

First reaction led by resistance to change.
Un-implement-able.Stupid. Completely chaotic. Kill the common tax payer who buys a private car with his hard earned bucks.Let all Government operated Transport and Freight vehicles go scot free.

Rationale takes over now:
The Modi government is generally sensible. Im sure they will come to their senses on this one. They should simply follow the Delhi example and convert all public transport to CNG and/ or electricity. Next, all the Transport vehicles including Lorries and Taxis which are being registered newly should be on CNG.

Impracticality:
They can implement a phased conversion over time - this one year deadline is idiotic!!
It is as good as me as a tax paying member of the Indian public (pure 100% Indian Citizen) saying - in ONE YEAR, my dear country must be EXPUNGED OF ALL CORRUPTION and EVILDOERS!!
Is this going to happen?
Lets be realistic!

Safety:
This will lead to proliferation of cheap conversion kits, which in turn will lead to incorrect, cheap jugaad type installation. I am 100% sure there will be accidents involving fire and death if this kind of thing is allowed. Now how can you convert an expensive Merc from its existing Petrol/ Diesel to CNG? Unless of course you get their factory / engineering guys to design a CNG variant and then do a retro fit? Very silly directive this is!

I am 100% with the HC in its good intent. But they need to be pragmatic, practical and sensible, given the peculiarity of the Indian conditions! Issuing FIATS, DIKTATS and FATWAS of this nature is not going to help anyone at all!

Seems to be a likely case of industrial lobbying behind this. Especially gas producers like Adani group stand to be big benificaries if all vehicles in Gujrat run on CNG. Suspiciously similar to the sunfilm rule by Supreme court. Its high time judiciary is brought into accountability, else we shall see more of these Panchayat style rules/dikats being passed by the honorable courts

If true reason is protection of environment, the correct way would be to price CNG so cheap, along with incentives being provided for subsidized conversion kits that it made economic sense for people to opt for CNG over any other fuel.

This is indeed autocratic. Also, gas prices must be the same as Delhi / Mumbai.

Presumably no outside cars will be able to transit Gujarat since they will not be able to tank up. I am sure the Hon Judge is ill advised, and the judgement will be stayed and then reversed pronto. CNG is not the panacea.

Next all vehicles must be electric since Gujarat claims 24x7x52 power!!

Yes - this appears a case of judicial overreach unfortunately. A reasonable time frame to convert public transport to CNG in the state could possibly a good start.