Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2012, 22:31   #91
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra Verito launched! starts from 5.42 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
However, where it fails miserably is the higher cost of spare parts & their suspect availability. This comes from the mouth of a few owners that I spoke with, while I had been looking for a new car a few months back. Due to this reason, we finally settled on the Figo.
Can you please share which parts typically fail? Also what is the typical lead time in sourcing the components (availability)?

Minus the cost of replacement, what is the cost of service (labour/spares not sourced from Renault)? Any idea on these?
Old 25th November 2012, 10:09   #92
BHPian

I have been a Logan owner ( 1.6 petrol ) for past 6 years. I am very happy with the car. The regular service is ~ 2200 every six months. In fact the service cost is much less than my 8 Year old Hyundai Santro which always manages to throw a service bill of ~ 5500 every six months.

Logan parts rarely fail and the core mechanicals are rock solid and take abuse without complaint.

However if your car is involved in an accident, then the Logan can be very expensive to fix. The spares are available but sometimes take time to arrive. Many of the parts are sourced from Renault and expensive ( They have strange french names )
JediKnight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 21:26   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I have been a Logan owner ( 1.6 petrol ) for past 6 years. I am very happy with the car. The regular service is ~ 2200 every six months. In fact the service cost is much less than my 8 Year old Hyundai Santro which always manages to throw a service bill of ~ 5500 every six months.
INR 2200 is a decent cost. Even my Maruti Wagon R clocks slightly higher than that! I have heard that the lights of Logan/Verito are ineffective on highways. How true is that? Also, could you please whats the FE you have clocking this while?
Old 26th November 2012, 11:38   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xadityax View Post
INR 2200 is a decent cost. Even my Maruti Wagon R clocks slightly higher than that! I have heard that the lights of Logan/Verito are ineffective on highways. How true is that? Also, could you please whats the FE you have clocking this while?

I find the headlights pretty adequate. Anyway if you find the headlamps inadequate you can always upgrade to better bulbs. This is valid for any car.

I get around 10.5-11 kmpl in city with AC. Remmber i have 1.6 petrol ( now no longer available). Also i have a heavy right foot. For comparisons my Santro retruns around 13.5 kmpl for similar usage.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 17:55   #95
Senior - BHPian

To the best of my knowledge (based on the conversations with Logan owners during my car hunt), a routine service excluding the diesel filter costs about 5-6K.

As for the parts that commonly fail, I have not heard of frequently failing components but then routine replacement parts such as the diesel filter are quite expensive at about 2-2.2K a piece, especially for a car as bland & boring (relatively). The timing belt replacement is another thing that comes up at 60K & is quite expensive, with the workshop not even having all the components (like timing belt pulley).

My personal experience with Mahindra workshops (have a Scorpio in family) is that they function like government units, with no actual timelines of what would be available when. You just have to be at it & maybe, you would get the part required in a few weeks.
So, with the Logan/Verito using Renault components, the scenario is worse. To quote an example, one of the owners that I physically met at the workshop said that these guys do not even have an ample supply of oil filters for the Logans (I speak only about the diesels) & have to make do with refurbished ones.

My philosophy regarding a car purchase decision is simple; if you need a car simply for doing its job without worrying about the looks, features etc, then you would also expect low maintenance costs & ease of maintenance (read as parts availability). However, if one needs a good looking, more up-to-date car, then it wouldn't pinch to shell out a little more on the maintenance aspect. This is basic human nature. Therefore, the Logan/Verito while being terrific at the basic job, fails at the low maintenance & ease of maintenance aspect. So, if I need to invest this kind of time & money into it (whenever there is a need), then I would much rather buy a different car that at least offers me more features, looks better & has a wider social appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Spare costs high for logan is a news to me. Always thought these will be cheap since taxi operators buy these in bulk.

Could anyone tell me what's the usual service costs for logan / verito?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xadityax View Post
Can you please share which parts typically fail? Also what is the typical lead time in sourcing the components (availability)?

Minus the cost of replacement, what is the cost of service (labour/spares not sourced from Renault)? Any idea on these?

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 28th November 2012 at 17:56.
blackfire_9 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 15:50   #96
BHPian

Verito/Logan owners & others, a colleague of mine who owns a 2012 model Verito (D6) 9800KM on the ODO, has been complaining of steering vibrations & the steering becoming lifeless once he crosses 120KMPH. Today we went for a test drive on the ORR and I did notice the otherwise hard (HPS) steering becoming literally lifeless and vibrating (not violently though) after crossing 110-120.

While this didnt really bother me interms of confidence in manouvering the vehicle, my buddy is a worried soul and wanted to know if this is something inherent to the vehicle at high speeds, if not, what needs to be done to correct this.

P.S - He recently got the wheels balanced & aligned at the Mahindra Auth. service center as a part of the regular servicing, thinking this might solve the problem, but apparently didnt.
Old 13th December 2012, 16:29   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Verito/Logan owners & others, a colleague of mine who owns a 2012 model Verito (D6) 9800KM on the ODO, has been complaining of steering vibrations & the steering becoming lifeless once he crosses 120KMPH. Today we went for a test drive on the ORR and I did notice the otherwise hard (HPS) steering becoming literally lifeless and vibrating (not violently though) after crossing 110-120.

While this didnt really bother me interms of confidence in manouvering the vehicle, my buddy is a worried soul and wanted to know if this is something inherent to the vehicle at high speeds, if not, what needs to be done to correct this.

P.S - He recently got the wheels balanced & aligned at the Mahindra Auth. service center as a part of the regular servicing, thinking this might solve the problem, but apparently didnt.
I would not trust service center on alignment and balancing. If it is not too much hassle, i would suggest that he does the alignment and balancing from outside.
windsurfer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 16:37   #98
BHPian

^^Thanks windsurfer! An error from my end though, the alignment & balancing were not done at the ***, but a reputated outsider.

Do you think its the alignment & balancing thats causing the issue? If so, do u suggest he gets it done again, probably at another place?
Old 9th January 2013, 08:50   #99
Team-BHP Support

Any comments on the quality of paint on the Verito?

I recently checked a new Verito that had a nicked bumper. It just appeared that the paint was quite thin and hence more prone to scratches.
Old 10th January 2013, 09:43   #100
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, the Renault era Logans had decent paint quality but ever since Mahindra has taken up the model, the quality may have taken a hit but nothing too severe. But then, there aren't too many people driving around in the Logans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Any comments on the quality of paint on the Verito?

I recently checked a new Verito that had a nicked bumper. It just appeared that the paint was quite thin and hence more prone to scratches.
Old 10th January 2013, 11:44   #101
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about the paint quality but the A/c in the earlier Logan was intermittent, that is the cooling was not continuous. I had noticed this in a TD vehicle long ago and in some of the cabs.

However recent travels in Verito seemed to be better. Not sure if the earlier issue was a one off case but it is just another observation.
Old 10th January 2013, 15:06   #102
BHPian

The 1st gen Logan came without cabin air filer ( Pollen filter) which cause frequent dust accumulation on the condenser, which is very difficult to clean also. I hope they have rectified this in later variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Not sure about the paint quality but the A/c in the earlier Logan was intermittent, that is the cooling was not continuous. I had noticed this in a TD vehicle long ago and in some of the cabs.

However recent travels in Verito seemed to be better. Not sure if the earlier issue was a one off case but it is just another observation.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:11   #103
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra have launched a new variant of Verito and named it Verito Executive starting at 7.75 L. This new offering is aimed at Corporate executives & businessmen (who will still have the feeling of travelling in a taxi) and have added initegrated bluetooth, touch screen navigation, alloy wheels, body decals etc.

What is M&M thinking by introducing a high priced variant for the model which has seen the sales number diminishing every passing month?

Attached is the link.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/18136027.cms
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 00:47   #104
Senior - BHPian

Drove a family friend's 95k done Verito Diesel. Except the lethargic initial gears/rpms, the sense of urgency is much better than in the 1.4 tdci. It pulled well with 3 well built adults, AC and about 100 kg metal stuff in the boot. The AC load did not bother the response. The turbo whistle is more prominent(more boost?).

But there was drivetrain harshness all over the cabin; in the steering, gear rod, etc. Don't know whether it is an one of case or common to all.

Now i know why it is synonymous to the taxi.
Old 21st September 2013, 17:26   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I feel petrol base model seems a tag over priced. At 5.42 lakhs you get a 75 ps engine no ABS/airbags, no central locking, no power windows and no audio system.
The previous verito as per Autocar gives 13.8 KMPL Mileage (Indian driving cycle )
For just under 6, Sunny gives you ABS, almost 30% more powerful engine, comparable space if not more and probably better quality. Sunny as per Autocar gives you 16.95KMPL(Indian driving cycle)

For around 5.4 in dzire Vxi you get probably a better engine, more power, central locking, audio system, maruti reliability albiet at a compromise in space and boot. Dezire as per Autocar gives you 19.1KMPL(Indian driving cycle)

At 5.78 Manza gives you more power, comparable if not more space, power windows and power steering. Manza as per Autocar gives you 13.7KMPL(Indian driving cycle)

At 5.71 Etios gives me comparable space if not more, more powerful engine, Toyota reliability, power windows and power steering. Etios as per Autocar gives you 17.57KMPL(Indian driving cycle)

All these look a better buy than the verito petrol base model to me although if I were to buy a petrol sedan in this price range, I would nt look further than sunny just for the ABS.
I just wanted to put words into figures and hence I have compared Mahindra Verito, Tata Manza, Maruti Dzire, Toyota Etios (all base versions).

Please find the attachment here: car_comp.xlsx

I have somehow not included Nissan Sunny because it's a big 75k+ more than the verito (yes I do understand that it has airbags and abs, but I wanted to stay below 6 lakh region).

Personally I felt Maruti Dzire gives you an overall package and If one can stretch to Zxi variant you have almost everything you need in a car.
Kratos453 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks