Old 2nd August 2012, 14:48   #31

Re: Scoop: Mazda CX-5 SUV spied testing

Originally Posted by em17 View Post
Saw this SUV on Gurgaon roads today. Not sure of the make as the badges were removed from the car and the alloys.
=============
Attachment 963619
Now I can also recall spotting the same model but black in colour a couple of weeks back around Infinity Towers in Gurgaon with a HR registration number plate. I thought someone must stolen the badges of this imported car.
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:12   #32

1. I am very excited about the entry of Mazda into this market. My experience in the US has been that Mazda really does try to deliver on its promise of driving pleasure, sort of like they're hanging onto their USP.

2. I have little interest in the CX-5 (my SUV has to hard core adventure capable), but I am really looking forward to Mazda offering the MX-5 as a CBU.

3. I say this as somebody who has owned and raced 4 MX-5s in the US.

4. and my biggest nightmare is that Mazda will fall into the same decision as BMW, Mini, Audi, and others, and not offer the superb manual transmission. I pray to the god I don't believe in that Mazda bring the MX-5 here and with manual transmission.

5. I am burning up at the thought that Mazda is already present on the ground in India, and I, a die hard Mazda fan, am not in the company's employ right from the start.
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:14   #33

Nice Scoop! I personally feel that Mazda's new KODO design language is much better than the earlier one and the smoothly sculpted and flowing lines somewhat resemble Hyundai's fluidic design language albeit with some changes.

Did anyone see that on the drivers door handle is the sensor for smart entry. Seeing this, I could say that Mazda will also offer a long equipment list with their vehicles.

CX-5 looks smarter than the current CR-V and the timid Yeti and I feel could dent the sales of bigger SUV's such as Fortuner. Eagerly waiting for this and the MX-5 to be launched here.

And their collaboration with Fiat could also help here. They might bring other competetant vehicles such as CX-7 or CX-9. The Mazda 2 could compete with likes of Swift and i20's conquered B2 segment. The Mazda 6 could compete with D2 segment sedans. I feel this might be the horizon for it's launch as they are testing here.

S@ndy
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:24   #34

Having seen, driven and been ferried around in one here in Indonesia, I can vouch for the awesomeness of the CX5. Its a beautiful machine and very capable compared to rivals like the SantaFe, Fortuner, Captiva and the likes. The CR-V is probably the closest competitor to the CX5 in my opinion. The Outlander is good too but in India Mitsubishi just doesnt cut it anymore.

FYI, it sells at 500 million Indonesian Rupiah, roughly equivalent to Rs. 30 lakhs for the top-of-the-line model

Last edited by narula123 : 2nd August 2012 at 18:26.
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:38   #35

To Me, I would predict that Mazda would not do so well as expected. The 30+ lac market coupled with un-informed community goes by just BMW,Audi and Merc Brands. There are so many people who know Mazda no more than Swaraj-Mazda Lorry.

I would like to be proved otherwise, but Mazda must do some serious brand-building to compete with Audis and Mercs or CX-5 would be another Volvo sitting duck.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:55   #36

Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
To Me, I would predict that Mazda would not do so well as expected. The 30+ lac market coupled with un-informed community goes by just BMW,Audi and Merc Brands. There are so many people who know Mazda no more than Swaraj-Mazda Lorry.

I would like to be proved otherwise, but Mazda must do some serious brand-building to compete with Audis and Mercs or CX-5 would be another Volvo sitting duck.
In the international market, Mazda does not compete with premium brands such as BMW, Audi and Merc. They must not compete with them in India either. The key is pricing and NO CBU.
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:11   #37

Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

Even someone from the informed community will not go for a CX-5 for 30+ lakhs, and I am sure even the Mazda think-tank will have not have any such an idea in their minds. Mazda as a brand is around the likes of Ford, Skoda, VW, Nissan etc.

My thought is, if the car gets launched as a CKD, it could very well be priced slightly below the Yeti.
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:51   #38

Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
In the international market, Mazda does not compete with premium brands such as BMW, Audi and Merc. They must not compete with them in India either. The key is pricing and NO CBU.
Even someone from the informed community will not go for a CX-5 for 30+ lakhs, and I am sure even the Mazda think-tank will have not have any such an idea in their minds. Mazda as a brand is around the likes of Ford, Skoda, VW, Nissan etc.

My thought is, if the car gets launched as a CKD, it could very well be priced slightly below the Yeti.
Priced BELOW the Yeti ? If yes !! They already have me as a customer of the CX-5

Wow then it makes a good deal and definetly will bite into scorpio,XUV & even Duster top-end territory. Needless to say Aria, Innova et all.
Old 2nd August 2012, 21:23   #39
SDP

Nice scoop and the vehicle does look smashing (even in the drab silver/grey shade). Quite difficult to judge the size of it from the pics. Anyone who has seen this vehicle in person would possibly be able to comment. Is this Yeti size or Fortuner size?

Mazda does not have any brand recognition in India, so it would make a lot of sense to come to India piggybacking on a established player. At the same time, Maruti has been getting the pricing consistently wrong for all imports. So I won't be surprised if Maruti prices it way up there in the Santa Fe range.
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:18   #40

In most US auto reviews, CX-5 is considered only second to crowd-fav and number one seller, the new 2012 Honda CR-V. The sky-activ thingy is working magic for Mazda in US market.
Old 3rd August 2012, 06:09   #41

Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Nice scoop and the vehicle does look smashing (even in the drab silver/grey shade). Quite difficult to judge the size of it from the pics. Anyone who has seen this vehicle in person would possibly be able to comment. Is this Yeti size or Fortuner size?
I always mistake this with the Santa Fe (available in India). This one is also a beautiful vehicle.

Jose.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:01   #42

Originally Posted by SDP View Post
This is a 5-seater cross-over. Size-wise, it will slot between the Yeti and Fortuner. Around 300mm longer than the Yeti, and the width is identical to the Fortuner.

Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
I always mistake this with the Santa Fe (available in India). This one is also a beautiful vehicle.
Well, the grill is quite unique on this one, and all the future models of Mazda will wear this look (I think next in-line is the Mazda-6)
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:03   #43

Its about the same size as the Outlander, CRV, and Santa Fe, give or take a few inches here or there.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:13   #44

Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
And their collaboration with Fiat could also help here. They might bring other competetant vehicles such as CX-7 or CX-9. The Mazda 2 could compete with likes of Swift and i20's conquered B2 segment. The Mazda 6 could compete with D2 segment sedans. I feel this might be the horizon for it's launch as they are testing here.

S@ndy
CX-5 is CX-7's replacement in the US.
Sanjunair5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:21   #45

Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 View Post
CX-5 is CX-7's replacement in the US.
Oh yeah, you're right. CX-5 is the replacement of CX-7. Read that later after some time.