Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2012, 20:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: July 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

First congrats to GTO for coming out wonderfully quick analysis.
Some observations.
  • Some price corrections could see Eon sales heading north and could give Alto which is nosediving a real fight.
  • Tata improves position and its competition can be seen in Wagon R's rear view mirrors.
  • Even Amby rubbishes Fiat India.
  • VW has to come out of the mediocre performance.
  • Lack of a Diesel engine has hit Honda real bad.

Last edited by rajeev k : 1st August 2012 at 20:52.
Old 1st August 2012, 21:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice report(as usual) GTO.

Mahindra seems to be doing a commendable job. Personally i dont see any of Mahindra vehicles as good by current standards(XUV is somewhat an exception). Despite this, the Mahindra sales team is doing a great job. Nice to see 4 figure sales mark of all their products.
Why is Thar missing from the list? I am pretty sure they clocked decent numbers.

Hyundai Verna puzzle's me always. Decent car, but not good enough to sell 5K+ consistently.

Liva!! should be called a flop model. After all it has a T badge,Diesel Engine, is a hatch and still a mere 2.5K. Same with VW Polo.
Old 1st August 2012, 21:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Looks like recession is hitting the overall car sales, the sales are sliding consistently over the last 4 months.
The B2 (common man car) segment seems to be the worst impacted, which is dragging the overall car sales trend.
Old 1st August 2012, 21:49   #19
BHPian

Thanks for the report GTO, was eagerly waiting for it and you did a great job by presenting it on first day of the month.
Good to see TATA regaining it's number 3 spot.
Old 1st August 2012, 21:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
I think MOM %ge numbers are wrong in top gainers table.
MOM% is accurate.

FYI: Formula = {(new month-old month)/old month}*100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
Honda Numbers (Model-wise) are missed out in the list, I scrolled a couple of additional times from top to bottom... I do see your comment about Brio and Jazz but don't see Jazz numbers (Brio is 1715). Can you please mention the Jazz numbers for July 2012?
Go to the second image in the third post - you will see the Honda sales figures at the end.

Last edited by parrys : 1st August 2012 at 22:08.
parrys is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 22:38   #21
PGA
BHPian

Great review, business as usual!

I was wondering if it was possible to have region/state wise breakup of sales. It will be quite an interesting study.

Till recently I would see number of new optras on road in many towns of north. I would come back and check on the monthly reviews, only to find a figure of 200 odd. I am certain it was selling only in North in last about 10-12 months. A great car though, grunt of two litre motor and rear seat comfort were quite unmatchable, feel bad it had to go this way.
Old 1st August 2012, 22:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

• Honda’s Yo-Yo performance defies logic. The Brio & Jazz are competent products and so well-priced now; how is it that they aren’t up to the task of selling them? What poor performances, I say. The City is nowhere near the level that it once had a firm grip on. Honda India has gone off track, yes, but it’s just inexplicable how long they are taking to come back. Don’t blame it entirely on petrol prices either; remember, the i10 petrol (Brio competitor) and a good number of i20s (Jazz competitor) are doing reasonably well.

Excellent analysis, as always GTO- thank you for sending this post out on the first day of the month!

Having been using the ANHC for the past two years, and impressed by its performance and reliability, I am surprised by Honda’s performance. But perhaps its the sign of the times that diesel is the default choice of customers. However, i think there is a deeper problem at Honda in India and their dealers in particular- I don’t think they have it in their mind to sell lower specced models or cheaper cars (Brio, Jazz) in general. Case in point, couple of months back two of my friends with a 4-4.5 lakh budget were looking for entry level hatchbacks, and i had managed to convert them from the i10/WagonRs to the Brio. They took test drives, loved the car, but then went to book the Brio E-MT, almost all dealers in NCR unanimously said that they are not taking booking for that model and even if they do it would be a 3 month delivery period. A 3 month delivery period for a petrol car today- kind of crazy

They offered ready delivery of the S and V models though which cost in excess of 5 lakhs on road. I don’t know whether this is a management level move to increase revenues per car or just a dealer move, but this one single act bumps the Brio from an affordable i10 competing hatch to the big boys category dominated by better, larger cars (Swift, i20 etc)

You know what my friends did? They quietly went back and booked i10s and saved over 1 lakh, a decisive amount for a first time buyer.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 23:02   #23
BHPian

Something tells me that the Amby is being picked up by the central/state government under some predefined agreement. The numbers seem to be consistent every month. It is either 200 or 250. What I knew is since they only have the 1.5 DSL in BSIII version, they cannot sell it in any of the BSIV cities including Kolkata. Till April however they were selling in Kolkata under some special arrangement with the courts. I wonder how is HM surviving even. At least Fiat makes money by selling its engine to Tata and MSIL.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 1st August 2012 at 23:05.
Old 1st August 2012, 23:03   #24
BHPian

Fantastic report GTO and that too on 1st of the month!!. It is really sad to see the New Fiesta figures - such a competent car let down by terrible pricing from Ford. Hope they consider this when they price Ecosport.

As for Chevy, you mentioned a revamp of line up is on the cards. Well, if it is Sail Sedan, hatchback and the Wuling Van that you are talking about, then I do not have much confidence that they would do well.
Old 1st August 2012, 23:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the report on the 1st of the month Some really interesting trends seen here !
  • new fiesta - Wow, this is seriously some market dud! Actually I feel it's a nice car, but for some reason doesn't appeal to you exactly in the same way as the Fiesta classic does.
  • i20 outsells i10 - i20 outsells i10?!! That's interesting. What is it that attracts people to the i20 so much?
  • bolero - This car always amazes me. How it manages to sell in so much numbers. I agree that rural market is there, but some part of the sales chunk must be in cities also. O.T: I like it too.
  • micra - Less said the better. It's a very practical and a nice car. It's a pity that Nissan doesn't do anything much to promote the car.
  • duster - 1194? - I can see decent sales in the making. It's only the first month of the car. It has almost everything going for it. The only 2 things which can go against it is the engine and the pricing maybe.
Old 1st August 2012, 23:10   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

• VW must be pleased with the Polo's 3,500 factory despatches. But that joy might be short-lived as the booted version (i.e. Vento) has its worst sales ever...a mere 1,546 cars out. The Vento's sales are down a massive 40% M-O-M and 46% Y-O-Y. VW can't blame it on the cheaper + identical Rapid which has had an equally bad month. The Vento is still a benchmark when it comes to all-rounded C2 segment sedans. I guess VW's marketing department has its work cut out for itself.

• Honda's Yo-Yo performance defies logic. The Brio & Jazz are competent products and so well-priced now; how is it that they aren't up to the task of selling them? What poor performances, I say. The City is nowhere near the level that it once had a firm grip on. Honda India has gone off track, yes, but it's just inexplicable how long they are taking to come back. Don't blame it entirely on petrol prices either; remember, the i10 petrol (Brio competitor) and a good number of i20s (Jazz competitor) are doing reasonably well.
On VW's performance, dealers don't seem to have inventories either, and indicate supply visibility only around mid August. I believe the VW plant took a shutdown for some reason. Would be useful if someone can confirm the same.

Honda has really gone down-hill. The City is markedly inferior to the petrol Vento and looks one segment cheaper.

One question, why don't we have historical data on sales of Audi, BMW and Mercedes? Understand from an earlier thread that their data comes late but we can at least have data till the previous month.
Old 1st August 2012, 23:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Never ceases to amaze me where all these Boleros are going.
A good chunk of these Boleros was bought by the Tamil Nadu Police Department.
Old 1st August 2012, 23:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

i20 is Hyundai's best seller. This is super achievement for this not-so-cheap hatchback.
M&M's dream run continues, however it would be interesting to see the impact of Duster on Scorpio.
Good to see Tata back at number 3. With the expected launch of Storme it remains to be seen if they can overtake Hyundai.

Last edited by safari_lover : 1st August 2012 at 23:22.
Old 1st August 2012, 23:25   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Never ceases to amaze me where all these Boleros are going. And this time they are in the top 5 - a first I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
A good chunk of these Boleros was bought by the Tamil Nadu Police Department.
If Mahindra were to provide nos as to which state sells the most Bolero, I would bet it is Bihar.

Any color, model, one laps it. Why? May be it has established itself as a brand.

Bolero runs good as rural private taxis and cell phone companies too demand Bolero as taxis, as they have to go to remote places, hence the demand.

Chip in politicos and their spoons. A white SLX is a lot in demand with all chrome add-ons.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 23:30   #30
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Thank you GTO. I was pleasantly surprised to see the thread up on the 1st day of the month. Kudos for such an achievement.

The numbers speak for themselves. I just hope MSIL comes out of the sticky situation soon. Since TATA have announced the launch of the much awaited Safari Storme in September, TATA will gain out of this launch. Especially because they have taken feedback seriously and have modified the interiors adding the much needed bells and whistles.

Ford is all set to gain from the Face lift Figo and the much awaited Eco Sport. I just hope the economy holds itself from crashing...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks