Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Autocar scoop - civic to be pulled off from India

^^
City is still selling 1500-1800 - so I do not see any confusion there. Accord is a good question at around 39 sales in Jul, but then competitors with diesel options like Superb and Passat are selling in two digits too.

I think its a good move by Honda. No point trying to sell a model which does not have a demand and will be called a laggard. With brio diesel coming in soon, they would want to focus their energies on segments mattering most.
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:49   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Not sure what to make of this. Are the numbers of their flagship Accord or City better than the Civic's to have warranted this?
Honda sold 1843 City's in July as against 138 Civic's. The City has never been a problem. In between they had slow months till the updated City was introduced at a slightly lesser price tag.

The Accord sold only around 38 cars in July. But that segment never sees high volumes. Also, I have a feeling they may be thinking of bringing in the 2.2i-Dtec engine in the Accord. There have been euro variants of Accord on test near the Honda plant which could mean they are testing the diesel engine in the euro model.
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:50   #18
BHPian

Feel sad to read about this. The Civic could have been so much more if Honda hadn't slept on it.

However, may be an excellent opportunity to buy a brand new Civic dirt cheap.
vinod332002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:58   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Civic 2012 .. with no diesel version in sight (not suitable for India yet, as claimed by Honda)..
They say no suitable diesel for India, but are testing a diesel Brio.

Last edited by condor : 3rd August 2012 at 09:03.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:20   #20
BHPian

Sad news. The Civic was a space-age car when it was launched. I hope that this is a temporary break and we get a new Civic sometime in the future.

I think one more problem, apart from the lack of a diesel has been the evolution of the City. Buyers are not seeing that much more value to plonk more for a Civic. The City gives a satisfying Honda experience at a lower price.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

If GM can buy engines from ICML, Force can do it from Daimler, Premier, TATA, MSIL can do it from Fiat why can't Honda buy engines from some Indian service provider. I am referring to Fiat here; they are more of an engine supplier than a car maker now!

In any case, Honda cars are over-priced by a lakh or so, CIVIC diesel should be no surprise!
amtak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:04   #22
xPK
BHPian

This is so disheartening. This might be logical action in company's perspective, but too much to accept as a car enthusiast. (I don't think anybody will disagree)
I still remember the first time when I saw Civic (in my early college days I suppose), it felt like a sports car to me. Today around a decade later, whole lot of cars in market, some have been changed radically some totally new, but Civic without any major visual modifications is still a looker. A perfect, well balanced, all around look.... a timeless beauty.

Am I getting too emotional here? Perhaps yes, but perhaps we all are, when it comes to cars.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
If GM can buy engines from ICML, Force can do it from Daimler, Premier, TATA, MSIL can do it from Fiat why can't Honda buy engines from some Indian service provider.car maker now!

In any case, Honda cars are over-priced by a lakh or so, CIVIC diesel should be no surprise!
Exactly amtak!
There's always a way, if you willing to find it.

Last edited by noopster : 3rd August 2012 at 10:12. Reason: Sorry, foul language cannot be excused! :)
xPK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:16   #23
BHPian

At the risk of being called sadistic, this is GREAT news

Civic prices in used market has already touched 4 lakhs, with this it'll go down even further.

Imagine a civic at at 3 lakhs or lower, superbly reliable,low maintenance, good service backup,all safety features and great mod potential

almost better in every way than souping up a baleno/cedia/lancer
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
If GM can buy engines from ICML, Force can do it from Daimler, Premier, TATA, MSIL can do it from Fiat why can't Honda buy engines from some Indian service provider. I am referring to Fiat here; they are more of an engine supplier than a car maker now!
I think there will be some long term plan about how Honda implements Diesel strategy worldwide including India. Plonking a Fiat engine might not be an exact solution as the differentiating factor will be missing and the competitors most definitely be pricing their cars lower than Honda.
Maruti is the only manufacturer which got truly benefit ted from the 1.3 mjd. Others like Tata,Fiat etc have average to poor performance in the market with this engine.

Civic suffered not only because it was a petrol car but also because it has getting underequipped and overpriced with time. It wasn't getting any younger either. 8 lakh rupees i20 has got more features than what you get in 15 lakh rupees Civic. Where is the value?
Corolla Altis petrol is still doing good business.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quite surprising.
Honda has got a wonderful 2.2 Litre diesel for its UK Spec Civic which pumps out close to 150Ps of power and 350Nm of torque.
If this was launched, even in a little de-tuned form it could have taken the fight to Cruze's, Laura's and Jetta's.
Wonder why Honda is hesitating. Is it because this diesel has a NOx trap and more suited to Euro grade Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) and the cost of re-engineering the same for India, i.e. the "cost-sales volume" benefit will not be lucrative enough?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Final_Spec_Sheet_new Civic UK.pdf (447.9 KB, 417 views)

Last edited by arjab : 3rd August 2012 at 11:00. Reason: typo
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:03   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Good that this has happened! All existing Civics will now be looked on as enthusiast cars which are unavailable. This will confer a certain legendary status on the car. It has happened earlier as well. The OHC Vtec is a prime example. It was discontinued and then suddenly, everyone wanted an OHC Vtec!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

This is pure sacrilege from Honda. To leave so many Civic owners in the lurch is appalling to say the least. Honda says its new 1.6 diesel mill for the Civic is incompatible for India. The lack of commitment from Honda in not developing a India specific diesel motor is disheartening.

Sends a very bad signal to ALL Honda owners...

Last edited by dkaile : 3rd August 2012 at 11:17.
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:33   #28
BHPian

What will be the scenario w.r.t to Civic spare parts ?. Buying a used Civic will be even more cheaper and tempting.
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:39   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Say Honda and more often than not, Civic will be the next word that you say. No other Honda vehicle has been able to create such a flutter in the market as the Civic has done. After being in market for more than 5 yrs, it still looks futuristic, a minor facelift not withstanding.

After all these words, I hope I am clear that I am not happy with the exit of Civic. My uncle owns one and I always dream of it. He usually changes his cars every 2 yrs, but not the Civic. Its still in his garage since last 4 years and will continue to do so.

Honda has made a sensible move from the business perspective but I feel it should have continued with the model, just for the brand equity sake. It could tried some localization, brought down the price by a couple of lakhs and sales would have continued in the 500+ range IMO. And there are Honda fans who will buy it anyday(if I had 15L I would happily buy,irrespective of it FE).
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:42   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
This is pure sacrilege from Honda. To leave so many Civic owners in the lurch is appalling to say the least. Honda says its new 1.6 diesel mill for the Civic is incompatible for India. The lack of commitment from Honda in not developing a India specific diesel motor is disheartening.

Sends a very bad signal to ALL Honda owners...
No one will be left in the lurch. As per regulations the manufacturer has to support a car for a period of 8 years after being discontinued. So parts and service will never be a problem.

Honda still supports old Honda city type 1 and Type 2 as well as old Accord and CR-V.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks