Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2012, 22:23   #61
BHPian

Re: Autocar scoop - civic to be pulled off from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Petrol prices are sky rocketting so are the sales of diesels.
Maruti added a CNG or LPG option for all of its petrol vehicles and it still sees a strong demand for diesel vehicles. However, buyers of the Maruti Alto tend to buy the CNG/LPG (can't remember which of the two) version because it doesn't have a diesel variant. It makes me wonder why buyers who are conscious of fuel prices don't simply get their cars to run on alternative fuels instead of switching to a diesel engine.
Old 3rd August 2012, 22:40   #62
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: *Rumour* : Honda Civic to be pulled off from India

While this move by Honda may be due to the failure of the new Civic in other markets as well as the lack of a Diesel variant at a time when most car buyers in India seem to want Diesels (very valid keeping in mind the fuel pricing scenario in our country) I hope Honda does not leave their existing Civic customers in the lurch due to lack of parts/support.
On the positive side though, given that Honda is bringing out the Diesel variant of the Brio, I hope this (Civic) is just a temporary move and they will in the next 2 years at least plan for a Civic Diesel - that will go a long way in boosting customer trust and confidence in the brand.

Last edited by NPV : 3rd August 2012 at 22:42.
Old 4th August 2012, 06:35   #63
Team-BHP Support

As a civic owner I'm disappointed - no 2 ways about it.

Does anyone have reliable perspective on continued parts availability for current gen owners? My personal feeling is also that given that the new civic is more evolution than revolution, parts availability on many components should not pose a problem. For unique body parts such as lights etc, I suppose honda will continue to get their component suppliers to provide these since globally there must be sufficient volumes of this car to justify continued production for at least 5-8 years. This is just my unscientific gut feel but anyone who knows better reliably please do throw some light on these aspects.

I have 2 options now facing me with my 3 year civic. Aggressively plan to sell and upgrade within 18-24 months or hold on to it for 3-4 years to use and depreciate it fully before sale. Inputs welcome on above two options as well.

Cheers
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 07:29   #64
BHPian

For a Civic principally driven on Highway, Lack of diesel option should hardly matter.

If you go through the Civic forum, you will find many Owners have reported mileages in excess of 18 KMPL (and a few over 20 KMPL).So if you compare Cost per KM between Innova and Civic

Innova -Mileage 13 KMPL
Diesel Per Litre -45 Rs
Cost per KM - 3.46 Rs/Km

Civic -Mileage - 18 KMPL -22 KMPL
Petrol Cost per Litre - 75 Rs
Cost per Km - 4.16 Rs/Km - 3.40 Rs/Km

Difference per KM - 0.7 Rs/Km or a whopping 700 Rs per 1000 KM!!!

Hardly worth discussing.

As for Parts availability, I checked a few Dealer contacts. They dont anticipate any problems in the near future.Personally, I will run my
civic as long as I can.

Cheers.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 07:57   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak
For a Civic principally driven on Highway, Lack of diesel option should hardly matter.

If you go through the Civic forum, you will find many Owners have reported mileages in excess of 18 KMPL (and a few over 20 KMPL).So if you compare Cost per KM between Innova and Civic

Innova -Mileage 13 KMPL
Diesel Per Litre -45 Rs
Cost per KM - 3.46 Rs/Km

Hardly worth discussing.

As for Parts availability, I checked a few Dealer contacts. They dont anticipate any problems in the near future.Personally, I will run my
civic as long as I can.

Cheers.
Yea but they must be driving at 70-80 kmph. No way civic could manage that much mileage.
taranonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 08:44   #66
dot
Senior - BHPian

From an enthusiast owner's perspective, a very good news.

A rare car that will slowly become an even more of a rarity.

In a man's life, there are somethings which comes once in a while. And these are things, you dont want to part with them, ever, as much as practicality demands. You wanna keep em forever. Like your school dairies, first gift from girlfriend, first salary slip (perhaps). The 8th gen Honda Civic is like one of those.

Like the Lancer, OHC, even a Premier Padmini, the Civic is a legend. The reason people crib about FE/diesel as reason for not purchasing a Civic is because they want to own one but cant.

I cant afford a SLS AMG, but certainly, as a car enthusiast, I will keep my Civic as long as I can.

Last edited by dot : 4th August 2012 at 08:45.
dot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 10:01   #67
BHPian

Honda is getting from bad to worse. Quite honestly I've pretty much written off their performance in the Indian market for the next few years.

Though in itself, given that they managed to make a solid mess of the Civic image with the latest model released abroad last year... it's possibly a sign of hope they've realised part of their folly. The new Civic is a thorough let down. Just a simple contrast with Hyundai and their award winning Elantra soon to hit Indian shores.

This company is just a crying shame the way it is right now in India.

Last edited by Vandit : 4th August 2012 at 10:04.
Old 4th August 2012, 11:05   #68
BHPian

please read the july sales figures, the other competitors except for cruze and corolla which are doing 500 numbers rest are at 150 - 300 including civic.I doubt Honda to withdraw when corolla is still selling their petrol version which is their main competition.
Old 4th August 2012, 11:43   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post

Innova -Mileage 13 KMPL
Diesel Per Litre -45 Rs
Cost per KM - 3.46 Rs/Km

Hardly worth discussing.

civic as long as I can.

Cheers.
You my friend are highly mistaken - having driven a Civic for 5 years I can tell you that on a highway it gives max 15 - 16 kmpl - no way it can reach 22 kmpl. And in city it gives around 10 kmpl.

And the figures you mentioned for Innova must be the city mileage figures - on highway it should be higher.
Old 4th August 2012, 13:46   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
You my friend are highly mistaken - having driven a Civic for 5 years I can tell you that on a highway it gives max 15 - 16 kmpl - no way it can reach 22 kmpl. And in city it gives around 10 kmpl.

And the figures you mentioned for Innova must be the city mileage figures - on highway it should be higher.
:-) I can understand your disbelief my friend.Even Civic owners (including myself) could not believe the Mileage figures reported by other owners until they tested it themselves.Thats the beauty called V-Tec.See Pic below for yourself.To add more spice to the story...Mine is an A/T and the Mileage test was done over 150 Kms on Bangalore - Chennai road.

Regarding Innova mileage figure, it is highway mileage figure that I got to know from a few cabbies who do interstate drive.

That said, Rework Rs/Km in best case scenario,compare it with other cars and be proud that you own a Gem of a car.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
*Rumour* : Honda Civic to be pulled off from India-civic-mileage-run-picture.jpg  

Last edited by ramanak : 4th August 2012 at 14:02.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 16:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

for those of you pondering the fate of the Civic, whether it will return with a diesel engine and why the 1.6 i-DTEC is not used for India, here are answers from the horse's mouth:
Honda Siel may discontinue Civic - Corporate News - livemint.com
Old 4th August 2012, 17:35   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream
for those of you pondering the fate of the Civic, whether it will return with a diesel engine and why the 1.6 i-DTEC is not used for India, here are answers from the horse's mouth:
Honda Siel may discontinue Civic - Corporate News - livemint.com
Thanks. Useful insight from the quotes although the author seems to javelin made some boo boos on his gyan. He mentions civic being 2nd sedan launch, city being first. Actually the accord came before civic. That's all by the by though. Important bit is that a future civic may still come through.
Old 4th August 2012, 18:48   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When a car is predominantly driven on the highway, it clocks more distance than it would have if the driving was restricted to city-limits.

With petrol being in excess of 70 a liter, if you do anything more than 600 km a month, it certainly warrants a diesel car.

So a car that does a lot of distance (highway driving) is better off if it drinks diesel. The savings are huge!

Quote:

We own a 6 year old Civic MT and it has never recorded anything more than 17 km to the liter on the highway. We get a consistent 10-12 in the city though.
Old 4th August 2012, 22:51   #74
Senior - BHPian

Civic was never a market darling, but definitely an enthusiast's dream machine.

This news is definitely a sad one to hear for people like us, but personally i feel, its just going to add more exclusivity to the legend of a car. Proud to have one at home and hope and wish to retain it as long as I can.

Regarding mileage, at 10kmpl on City and 13-14 kmpl on highways, for that much comfort and safety it offers, nothing more to ask. The negativeness spread about the car is simply overstated.
Moreover, who cares for how much it gives, when the exhilaration it provides while touching the accelerator is truly out of the world.
Old 4th August 2012, 23:26   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
When a car is predominantly driven on the highway, it clocks more distance than it would have if the driving was restricted to city-limits.

With petrol being in excess of 70 a liter, if you do anything more than 600 km a month, it certainly warrants a diesel car.

So a car that does a lot of distance (highway driving) is better off if it drinks diesel. The savings are huge!

Depends on which Diesel car is used.Swift dzire or Logan/Verito yes savings will be good.SUVs may not give you great savings.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks