Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2012, 23:36   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: *Rumour* : Honda Civic to be pulled off from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Depends on which Diesel car is used.Swift dzire or Logan/Verito yes savings will be good.SUVs may not give you great savings.
True.

But as much as I'd hate to admit it, a diesel car in the same price-bracket should give you similar mileage figures. Even if it is lower, the price of diesel that's nearly half of petrol will negate the loss and probably even ensure a saving at the end of the day.

A well driven Cruze on the highway will certainly leak a lot less money than a Civic would in similar driving conditions.
Old 5th August 2012, 00:22   #77
BHPian

Kind of saddening to hear the news. I remember going gaga over the automatic with paddle shifters, et al back in 2006 - I even managed to convince a colleague to buy one (he still has it and loves it just as much). When I was shopping for a car 3 years later, Civic had almost disappeared from my radar due to the high cost. I picked up the Cedia which I felt was from the same segment, but was sold for much lesser.

Honda had to eventually do this - I'm sure they want decent numbers which they can't get today unless they have a diesel. I just hope this is temporary and they will be back with a diesel Civic in the near future.

Look how excited we were when it was launched:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...y-here-22.html
Old 5th August 2012, 08:32   #78
Senior - BHPian

Another awesome product killed due to lack of diesel option if this trend continues people who prefer performance and refinement over FE will not have any product which appeals to them.I guess petrol cars about the entry-level hatch-backs will disappear in few years.
Old 5th August 2012, 10:03   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Another awesome product killed due to lack of diesel option if this trend continues people who prefer performance and refinement over FE will not have any product which appeals to them.I guess petrol cars about the entry-level hatch-backs will disappear in few years.
That might not be the case actually. For e.g. VW and Skoda have an extremely competitive diesel portfolio for the D1 segment (Jetta and Skoda), still V?W has launched a 1.4 TSI (and Skoda the vRS) - which I feel will cater to enthusiasts more than regular public. For rest they have the diesel.

It is also possible that in future, with diesel becoming the mainstay, we may get the best petrol motors (e.g. 1.2 TSI on hatches) from the manufacturers.
Old 5th August 2012, 12:21   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

The next-gen Civic will be returning in a diesel avatar, sometime in 2014-15. Might be powered by the same 1.6L i-DTEC specifically being developed for the City (to be introduced next year), albeit re-tuned for better performance.

This is NOT the European Honda 1.6L engine, but an indigenously developed, India-specific one.
Old 5th August 2012, 12:37   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
That might not be the case actually. For e.g. VW and Skoda have an extremely competitive diesel portfolio for the D1 segment (Jetta and Skoda), still V?W has launched a 1.4 TSI (and Skoda the vRS) - which I feel will cater to enthusiasts more than regular public. For rest they have the diesel.

It is also possible that in future, with diesel becoming the mainstay, we may get the best petrol motors (e.g. 1.2 TSI on hatches) from the manufacturers.
I was concerned about petrol cars due to huge unsold stocks both in new and second-hand market.I acquired an 1.8 optra few weeks back and only thing people ask me after asking its mileage is "why did you get this car,mileage is too low".I opted for this car due to its solid feel,power and ride quality but people are only interested in mileage.
Old 5th August 2012, 22:11   #82
Senior - BHPian

So I'm a curious to know, is anyone aware of what kind of discounts are being offered on the Civic?
Old 5th August 2012, 22:32   #83
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the Civic's case has much to do with the petrol price hike. The Civic has been at the bottom of its segment for a long time now. I remember that Corolla used to out-sell the Civic (and everything else) even when Corolla had only the petrol version.

I think the Civic has suffered due to lack of upgrades to keep up with the competition. That's probably because Honda thought they could replace the Civic in India with the newer version. But then Honda decided not to bring it to India. I guess now the Civic has become too old in the market (although it still looks smashing). The petrol price hike and lack of diesel engine is just the last nail in the coffin.
Old 5th August 2012, 23:51   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
So I'm a curious to know, is anyone aware of what kind of discounts are being offered on the Civic?
When we purchased a new vehicle in March this year, we had visited the Honda showroom. We were looking at the Honda City but the sales executive also pushed for the Civic 1.8 V AT Sunroof. They had unsold stock of 2 pieces.. We told him Civic was beyond our budget and straight out he offered Rs. 1.5 lakh off the ex-showroom price of Rs. 15,21,500. Told him still beyond our budget. Took us for a test drive and definitely a wonderful car to drive. Post test-drive still told him we weren't interested in AT+Petrol variants. A few days later the manager called up and was willing to negotiate further on the Civic AT! They finally managed to sell both the pieces as I later found out when we sent our City in for servicing.

The ground clearance for the Civic has always been a concern so decided to give it a pass. Plus, it does look dated in today's scenario.
IndianGuardian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 16:21   #85

Got my brand new 8G Civic 3 weeks back in its full urban titanium glory! Got a deal and the petrol-head that I am, am loving it!

In my conversations with the Honda sales GM, he was very clear about no diesel for Civic or CRV in the near future. First off will be the Brio -> Brio sedan -> City and then the others would follow. So that means no diesel Civic until 2014-15 at least!

This news makes me feel that the 8G Civic will go down as a much-loved exotic that will long continue to remain the enthusiast's car!

Cheers!
Old 6th August 2012, 16:30   #86
Senior - BHPian

Ohh what a news while i was away.

I am completely blown away by the news, as an owner of a Civic and that to a new one, i am slightly worried. Will i be able to own this car for next 10 years, will the parts be available for next 10 years, and even if they do, will they cost a bomb?

Maybe it will become a collectors item, but unfortunately i do not look at cars that way. Read through few pages not sure if there was a mention of parts availability assurance from Honda?
Old 6th August 2012, 17:33   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Ohh what a news while i was away.

I am completely blown away by the news, as an owner of a Civic and that to a new one, i am slightly worried. Will i be able to own this car for next 10 years, will the parts be available for next 10 years, and even if they do, will they cost a bomb?

Maybe it will become a collectors item, but unfortunately i do not look at cars that way. Read through few pages not sure if there was a mention of parts availability assurance from Honda?
In February this year, the wipers of our Honda City (2006 VTEC version) stopped working. It took the service centre one month to get the spare part. We expected spare parts to be readily available for such a popular model.
Old 6th August 2012, 17:47   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor_it_baby View Post
Got my brand new 8G Civic 3 weeks back in its full urban titanium glory! Got a deal and the petrol-head that I am, am loving it! clap

Cheers!
Do tell, what was the deal? I called Prime Honda on a lark this morning in gzb and to my surprise I was told there is no discount only a multimedia caska entertainment system and 1-year insurance free on the car. They said they have none in stock and would get them against orders from Honda.
Old 6th August 2012, 18:48   #89
Senior - BHPian

Sad news indeed.

One of the best petrol cars to adorn Indian roads. IMHO, Civic's was the best dash board that an affordable car(<15 lacs) can have. The blue backlight and white font was a killer. Absolute flat floor below the rear seats was another milestone.

Though the future of Civic did not look like it was doomed, it was somehow expected that this might happen.

I also feel there are more victims to follow the suit:

1) Hyundai i10 Auto
2) Maruti A-star Auto
3) Maruti SX4 Auto
4) Skoda TSI / RS
5) Hyundai Verna VTVT Auto
6) Skoda/VW Vento petrol AUTO
7) Mitsubishi product range

What say guys?
Old 6th August 2012, 19:17   #90
Senior - BHPian

First of all, this is not a panic or desperate decision.
A well calculated decision based on current market scenario.
Once the revised 9th gen gets ready, they might try to get it in, preferably with a diesel heart.
Till that time it's only wise move to stop production, rather than try and sell the car on discounts. This way both the existing civic owners as well as the company is to gain.

Moreover civic is a CKD case, so adjusting the factory setup isn't that difficult for a stop start mode.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks