Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2006, 20:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

How safe is Innova?

I thought Innova was damn safe till two seperate accidents in the last 3 days caused death to passenger travelling in it.

One accident was with a bus; 4 people of a family died . Another was with an Ambassador( slight dent or so thats all), which led to death of 3 people of a family with 4th one in serious condition.

In teh second case; teh front windshield was unbreakable by local people and hence led to death of 3 people inside the car. The 4th person, a gal was rescued by breaking open the rear windshield after the attempt with front windshield failed. The rumour is that gas leaked frm A\c unit and hence it caught fire. Also, the central locking was jammed and hence door couldnt be opened during rescue.

Last edited by jkdas : 19th April 2006 at 20:08.
Old 19th April 2006, 20:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
IOne accident was with a bus; 4 people of a family died . Another was with an Ambassador( slight dent or so thats all), which led to death of 3 people of a family with 4th one in serious condition..
No seat belt hence mega head/ internal injuries

Quote:
In teh second case; teh front windshield was unbreakable by local people and hence led to death of 3 people inside the car. The 4th person, a gal was rescued by breaking open the rear windshield after the attempt with front windshield failed. .
Laminted windscreen - body must have distorted causing doors to jam
Old 19th April 2006, 21:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

People think Innova or Scorpio are very safe coz they are big cars. They are safer if one wears seat belts.

I am damn sure that you are right. Shame on people who are ignorant about the use of seat belts.
Old 19th April 2006, 21:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
People think Innova or Scorpio are very safe coz they are big cars.
Scorpio and safe? My A**!!! I had a friend die in that car. Funnily, the other 3 chaps in the car got away without a scratch! The car is extremely unstable... especially, with its power steering, when you flick the steering wheel to the side sharply (like for example, to avoid something on the road)...the dang thing turns turtle. Very low center of gravity!

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 19th April 2006, 21:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider4385
Scorpio and safe? My A**!!! I had a friend die in that car. Funnily, the other 3 chaps in the car got away without a scratch! The car is extremely unstable... especially, with its power steering, when you flick the steering wheel to the side sharply (like for example, to avoid something on the road)...the dang thing turns turtle. Very low center of gravity!

Godspeed.

Alok.
lol; I know. But thats what people think. Big is safe !
Old 19th April 2006, 21:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Witness the fatal S-class accident mentioned in another thread. It can all go wrong even with the best safety equipment in the world.
Old 19th April 2006, 21:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
when you flick the steering wheel to the side sharply (like for example, to avoid something on the road)...the dang thing turns turtle. Very low center of gravity!

Godspeed.

Alok.
Sorry pal... did you mean very HIGH centre of gravity ? I guess it is a probem with all SUVs, not just the scorpio...

I know some people who got a dummy Seat belt clip made so they can insert it in and turn the Seat belt warning OFF while they are not wearing the seat belts..... what do you say for that ????
Old 19th April 2006, 22:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is extremely unstable
I agree. I have witnessed the instability of a Scorpio. The car was at about 60-70 kmph and he tried overtaking from the left but there was a bus parked there. He tried to swerve to avoid the bus, the car lifted and he almost lost control. It was surely going to topple. But fortunately anyhow he gained control and stopped on the side.

P.S. Yes, he was rash driving.
Old 19th April 2006, 22:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver
Sorry pal... did you mean very HIGH centre of gravity ?
Whoops! sorry, my bad!

All these death traps should come with a statutory warning, like the ones on cig packets.... "sitting in this car may be injurious to your health!"

I wish they would design SUV's wider to compensate for the height they give them. This would ATLEAST reduce the centre of gravity to some extent!

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 19th April 2006, 23:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver
I know some people who got a dummy Seat belt clip made so they can insert it in and turn the Seat belt warning OFF while they are not wearing the seat belts..... what do you say for that ????
Sad to hear about such people. Mazda 6 MP6 version just launched has an occupant sensor in the seat that knows if a person is actually seated. The car will beep like mad if driven > 45 mph with no belt. I feel this should be made a rule.
Old 20th April 2006, 02:15   #11
BHPian

Innova roof was smashed.

A couple of months ago, saw an overturned white(brand new with temp #) Innova. This was right under the Hebbal flyover in Bangalore turning towards Tumkur Road. The roof was completely smashed..Looked like some serious (fatal) injuries. A couple of hours later, I saw a tractor being used to overturn the vehicle. Looked like the car was totalled.

I have driven the Innova quite extensively, it's handling is great. I really have not pushed it too hard but the crumple zone is a doubt especially after seeing this wreck.
Old 20th April 2006, 11:21   #12
BHPian

The Innova seems to be built delicately.. Recently an Innova I was in hit a dog at 80kmph (think I have written this in another thread too).. The front bumper was completely broken and there was some suspension damage.. The dog got up and ran away!!!
Old 20th April 2006, 11:29   #13
BHPian

In this accident as reported looks like probably the victims survived the crash but died due to the fire.

1. couldn't break the front windshield !!! are they so strong?
2. central lock didn't open? could happen in any car i suppose....
3. AC gas catching fire OR was it the fuel that caught fire due to the accident?
Old 20th April 2006, 11:38   #14
Team-BHP Support

You really can't tell if a vehicle is safe just by looking at it. Remember when the Maruti 800 was launched, people used to call it a toy car. Comments like it would crumble in a heavy wind and other similar things were said about it. Premier Padmini drivers would say that the Maruti is an unsafe car.

However, the fact is that although the M800 is small, it is still far safer than a Padmini. Yes, it crumples up easier, but then thats what it is designed to do. Thats what absorbs the impact instead of passing it onto the passengers inside.

Seeing 3-4 accidents of one particular vehicle and then questioning its safety is not the most educated statement to make. NO car in the world can protect its occupants from everything.
Old 20th April 2006, 11:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Totally agree with u Rtech.
Like people have said time and again here, a level headed driver is the most important safety device in a vehicle (after that comes the Horn, as mentioned by RX135!!).
And given the traffic and driving sense (or nonsense) prevalent in India, i dont think any manufacturer can produce a car that will protect its occupants from STUPIDITY!!!
But, it is kinda surprising that in Nitin's case, the innova suffered suspension damage upon hitting a dog! And it didnt even kill the dog!!! Hmmm... maybe innovas are designed keeping stray dog safety in mind coz i have run over a few dogs in my time in my zen and there has hardly ever been any damage to the car! Nitin, are you sure about the suspension damage and that the innova hit the dog only and nothing else??

Amitoj
Closed Thread

Most Viewed