Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2013, 17:23   #91
BHPian

Re: Surprise: Honda begins testing the 2013 CR-V in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Oh no ..not that excuse again. The fact is there are a lot of german cars here -both cbu and ckd with imported engines- which run on advanced diesel engines on our roads. So, there is no reason why only Honda engines have this problem. And if these germans which sell far less cars than japs can tweak the engine for local diesel, then not sure why Honda cannot
How I wish some passionate soul or an auto magazine import this diesel CR-V to India and prove Honda wrong by clocking some reasonable miles here.

tachobells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 17:35   #92
BHPian

Re: Surprise: Honda testing 2013 CR-V in India *EDIT* Now launched from 19.95 Lakhs

At these prices, Honda has created a corporate 'paperweight' (the unsold CRvs can be used as a paperweight by the top honchos). Even if the Govt. keeps increasing diesel prices by Rs. 0.50 per litre, it will still be cheaper than petrol a year down the line (the Govt. has not committed to reducing petrol prices). When diesel cars are available cheaper or at the same price point, why would anyone buy petrol?
Old 12th February 2013, 18:00   #93
BHPian

Re: Surprise: Honda testing 2013 CR-V in India *EDIT* Now launched from 19.95 Lakhs

What was the need of this launch is beyond me, some one up there in the Honda ranks was getting bored with no action so he thinks lets get another dud in and see the drama unfold.

This car, it is not a SUV, will need some miracles to sell. IMHO Even if you forget the difference in petrol and diesel prices, diesel always gives more mileage than petrol and somehow is more suited to SUV's. Torque is the differentiating factor.

As some one so aptly put it, it does look similar to Aria which is no looker in the first place. I think it looks dis proportionate beyond the C pillar.

So the starting point for this car will be, I am guessing 22 to 23 OTR delhi, going up to 26-27 for top end, now pray who is going to shell out that kind of money in todays time for a petrol which looks like that.

OT - Toyota sold around Rs 3960 crore worth of Fortuners (average value) last year. With the competition providing stuff like this, the other being the even worse looking Alterra by Isuzu and not to mention ancient tech. I guess Toyota can smile all the way to the bank for this year as well.

Last edited by eq24 : 12th February 2013 at 18:04.
Old 12th February 2013, 18:20   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackyash View Post
How about a full fledged official TEAM-BHP review? Do we get 1?
I don't mind living vicariously.
I believe a team bhp review of the CRV will definitely add a fresh perspective to the SUV segment considering its the first petrol SUV offering from a reputable car company after the attempted deregulation of diesel prices. Being in the market for a sedan/ SUV upto 30 lacs since last 6 months I definitely would like to see a team bhp review the car ASAP. The gurus will surely discuss the cost of ownership of the new crv in the changing petrol/ diesel scenario.
Old 12th February 2013, 18:56   #95
BHPian

Honda CR-V 2.4 AWD AT: Rs. 22.40 lakh
Honda CR-V 2.4 AWD AT (AVN): Rs. 23.85 lakh

The cost of Navigation costs around 1.4 Lakhs? The pricing is okay, but only petrol. With the new Santa Fe expected with a Diesel Engine, I don't think CRV will move out of the showroom. Even the Rexton with all the bells, diesel diesel engine, 5 speed auto costs around 20 Lakhs Ex-showroom. The Rexton seems to be the VFM in the 20 Lakh category.
Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 19:03   #96
Senior - BHPian

I guess the CR-V and Fortuner should not be compared at all. The competition for the CR-V is the Captiva, the Highlander and the Santa Fe for eg. Fortuner is based on a pickup truck chassis, and the others are all CUV's based on car platforms. They are meant to be comfortable city and highway cruisers. Also, the pricing in India has never been based on what is offered, instead it is based on taxes and duties and what not. A fully loaded CR-V in the US maybe 30k USD, however it is probably 30k pounds in the UK. So there are variations in international prices too. I don't expect Honda to take 25% taxes on themselves trying to sell a car that may just move 100 a month.
Old 12th February 2013, 19:11   #97
Senior - BHPian

Honda , denial is not going to get your cars off the showroom floors. Every manufacturer in India has a very strong diesel lineup . Why ? Because the market demands. Even you understand this and are now bringing in the AMaze diesel. And yet , you bring in a 25 lakh + petrol soft roader. The new sonata does no sell , the camry as good as it is does not sell , the accord never did plus we all know what model the superb sells . Honda , stop living in your past glory , the market has matured and the dynamics have changed. Take India seriously and it ll reward you with tremendous growth. Keep bringing in these Dud models and you ll become a shadow of your former self.
Old 12th February 2013, 19:23   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
the pricing in India has never been based on what is offered, instead it is based on taxes and duties and what not. A fully loaded CR-V in the US maybe 30k USD, however it is probably 30k pounds in the UK. So there are variations in international prices too. I don't expect Honda to take 25% taxes on themselves trying to sell a car that may just move 100 a month.
How to manage costs is Honda's problem not customers. If these are the price levels they can achieve in spite of local assembly then it's their big time inefficiency and/or lack of focus. Just tell me one single thing about this car that's special/new. Boring Honda...yawn...
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 19:27   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
How to manage costs is Honda's problem not customers. If these are the price levels they can achieve in spite of local assembly then it's their big time inefficiency and/or lack of focus. Just tell me one single thing about this car that's special/new. Boring Honda...yawn...
Honda is not trying to sell thousands of this in India anyway. I don't think India is a target market for them in this segment at all. They can be arrogant enough to price what they want because they sell more CR-Vs in the US in a month than they would sell in a year in India. There is nothing special, nothing new, it is just incremental improvements.
Old 12th February 2013, 19:31   #100
Team-BHP Support

While others may not like the looks of the CR-V so much, I kind of like it. It looks far better than the earlier model which had a very strange front grill and a very weird rear as well. The side profile of the old one had a funny curve on the rear quarter glass which did not gel well with the car at all. This one is more sharper and looks more grown up even though exterior dimensions are actually lesser.

I was looking at changing my Altis with a SUV and drove the Rexton as well as the Fortuner AT. While I kept thinking on paper these 2 SUV's were the perfect options for me a drive of both of them totally reversed the tables.

Coming from a sedan, both the Fortuner and Rexton had too many compromises. The Fortuner did not feel anywhere like the cost of 2 Altis. Both Fortuner and Rexton had dynamics that I just did not feel confident about. I know it's a matter of time till I can get used to them but I just do not want to compromise on that. The ride quality on both was nowhere near what a sedan can offer with the ladder on frame scuttle shake on every undulation.

It was then that I realised that these SUV's were not for me and I wanted a more luxurious car like feeling. That means soft roaders like the Outlander, Captiva, Santa Fe, X-trail are the only options.

The new Captiva 2.2L AT costs way more than CR-V at almost 24L ex-showroom.
The Outlander though good is marred by the after sales and complete lack of dealers. Price is also around 22L I think.
The X-trail on the inside feels spartan and nowhere worth a 20L+ car. The CVT box is also nothing to write home about.
The Santa Fe AT is like 25-26L ex-showroom and is a generation old. The new one will probably be more than that and how many people buy a 30L Hyundai?

The CR-V is effectively the only option one has since it feels premium, drives well has decent ASS and no major negative except the petrol motor.

While everyone keeps saying diesel is the only way for SUV's let me ask one question. We have the Santa Fe, Captiva, Koleos and X-trail which are all diesels. Are they selling in good numbers and setting the sales charts on fire?

If Hyundai get the Santa Fe at 25L as a CKD then we have proper competition. Till then, the CR-V is a very decent option. It will never be competition for Fortuner, Rexton and Pajero Sports which are old school SUV's. The CR-V is a more practical option to Camry, Accord, Superb, Passat and Jetta.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 19:34   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Well, as of now, the new CRV 2.0l MT is priced almost at par with the Superb MT Elegance and its cheaper than the Outlander, Grand Vitara, Koleos, Captiva, Santa Fe, X-Trail and D2 sedans like the Accord, Camry, Passat and Teana.
Great post - maybe the CRV would poach sales from D Segment petrol sedans/petrol SUVs. This would of course mean very small numbers. The Fortuner would hardly be affected.
Old 12th February 2013, 19:43   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The CR-V is effectively the only option one has since it feels premium, drives well has decent ASS and no major negative except the petrol motor.
Very true except for the fact that at that price if you need a beater car, would you be ok with an FE of 5-6 (I think thats what folks see for a CRV right?)

And I thought Koleos handles almost like a sedan. I remember Shankar posting about it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2518206

OT: A perfect change (I wont say upgrade) would be Fluence DCT whenever it comes!
Old 12th February 2013, 20:15   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Very true except for the fact that at that price if you need a beater car, would you be ok with an FE of 5-6 (I think thats what folks see for a CRV right?)
That's the problem. If I get a CR-V I will need a diesel beater car.

Quote:
And I thought Koleos handles almost like a sedan. I remember Shankar posting about it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2518206

OT: A perfect change (I wont say upgrade) would be Fluence DCT whenever it comes!
The problem with the Koleos is that the back seat has lesser legroom than my Altis. And they price it at 32lakhs just for the so called Bose audio system. Plus the Koleos is identical to the X-trail with a boring CVT box.
Old 12th February 2013, 21:10   #104
BHPian

IMHO, the CRV is not intended at the Fortuner/ Pajero Sport crowd, and why its sales figures were down to single digit numbers for the past year had to do more with insane pricing rather than the absence of a Diesel mill. The CRV is one of the most comfortable cars in its segment, including sedans, as it is low enough to have a less jerky ride, and still have the crucial advantage in ground clearance and seating position. The BMW X1 is of course an interesting option, but if you want a hassle free, reliable and comfortable car with good resale value, the CRV outshines the Captiva or the Koleos by a whole yard. Now that Honda have corrected (somewhat) the prices, I hope it shall fare better. BTW, I'm also considering a CRV now, has to see whether Nissan upgrade the X Trail in 1- 2 months time, or if Skoda bring in a L&K A/T version of the Yeti.
Yeldo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 21:37   #105
Senior - BHPian

The sad part is that it still wont sell. Honda have made an effort with the prices but its still not enough. CRV AT returns 6km/l and even for the rich folks its a bit too steep to drive around all day. I guess a diesel beater car is a must for CRV owners (I know 2 of them ).

If the same prices were announced for a Diesel Version, im sure the showrooms would have been flooded.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed