NHC - 13 kmpl 7 12.96%
NHC - 14 kmpl 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2006, 15:56   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
...my baleno is giving me 8 kmpl with AC and Maruti guys have no answer/solution to it...
Hey Venkat, Cool down! Something's wrong... Baleno can't be giving 8 even in worst traffic conditions... Let's first analyse-
1. Are your tyres inflated properly? I always inflate in the mornings, when it's cool, to 32 psi all round, at the same petrol pump.
2. I always fill fuel in mornings (Speed) at the same petrol pump. Underground petrol tank cools at night and petrol density peaks, so you get most weight for the volume dispensed.
3. Change gears at around 1500 rpm and move to highest gear possible. One indication to see if your engine is giving proper performance is to check your rpm levels in 5th gear. Baleno engines are tuned to achieve speeds of 38.4 kmph per 1000 rpm in top gear (1500-3000 rpm range).
4. Check your air filter... did you go through a particularly long and dusty patch recently?
5. Finally, have you hired a driver or do you park in an unattended parking lot for long hours? The simple mechanical latch in fuel caps of any Maruti vehicle can be opened from outside using a thin slice of metal or a fine screwdriver. The idle drivers and parking lot attendants work hand-in-hand at the Devil's workshop (at least in Mumbai) and systematically siphon off a small unnoticeable quantity from each car. While you and I focus our attention on Jagdish Khattar, a scam is quietly flourishing. I was a victim of this gang right inside our company parking lot. See this post...
Old 22nd April 2006, 16:02   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
And how exactly does one do that ????

The one test for which we have results is this poll. So far, most NHC owners are getting around 13 kmpl (including some vtec owners too). While most baleno owners are getting around 11-12 kmpl.

Is this 10% difference also a hype ?
Ask a statistician, and (s)he'll tell you... First look at the flaws- what are the poll cut-off limits for FEs of Baleno and NHC?
Old 22nd April 2006, 16:10   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar
Hey Venkat, Cool down! Something's wrong... Baleno can't be giving 8 even in worst traffic conditions... Let's first analyse-
1. Are your tyres inflated properly? I always inflate in the mornings, when it's cool, to 32 psi all round, at the same petrol pump.
MSP, i think this is a good idea, until i hear from JagdishKhattar (if at all he responds) i can go by your checklist....

My tyres are filled as per the note on the door.

Quote:
2. I always fill fuel in mornings (Speed) at the same petrol pump. Underground petrol tank cools at night and petrol density peaks, so you get most weight for the volume dispensed.
Filling fuel in morning ( in another thread i had done some rough calculation and found that FE differnce could be just 0.1 kmpl)
From next time i will try this, though i believe this should not make big differnce.

Quote:
3. Change gears at around 1500 rpm and move to highest gear possible. One indication to see if your engine is giving proper performance is to check your rpm levels in 5th gear. Baleno engines are tuned to achieve speeds of 38.4 kmph per 1000 rpm in top gear (1500-3000 rpm range).
others have told me to shift gears @ 1750 rpm. if we change gears in baleno @ 1500 rpm.....whats the point of buying a baleno of late i have been shifting at 1700/1800 rpm.....i dont want to go below this. OK, in idling what should be the rpm?, i have seen that in idling the rpm usually keeps hovering between 700 to 1000 rpm, is this ok?

Quote:
4. Check your air filter... did you go through a particularly long and dusty patch recently?
hmm...not really.

Quote:

5. Finally, have you hired a driver or do you park in an unattended parking lot for long hours? The simple mechanical latch in fuel caps of any Maruti vehicle can be opened from outside using a thin slice of metal or a fine screwdriver. The idle drivers and parking lot attendants work hand-in-hand at the Devil's workshop (at least in Mumbai) and systematically siphon off a small unnoticeable quantity from each car. While you and I focus our attention on Jagdish Khattar, a scam is quietly flourishing. I was a victim of this gang right inside our company parking lot. See this post...
i haven't hired a driver. No unattended parking either.
Old 22nd April 2006, 16:38   #49
BHPian

Quote:
My tyres are filled as per the note on the door...
The note on the door (25 psi?) is not particularly FE friendly. It's even worse if you're following the "door advice" and filling air on hot tyres... when it cools, you'd probably be having ~20psi. In which case, an FE of 8 is a marvel!
Quote:
Filling fuel in morning ( in another thread i had done some rough calculation and found that FE differnce could be just 0.1 kmpl)
From next time i will try this, though i believe this should not make big differnce.
I'll do a theoretical calculation once I get hold of density tables of petrol and confirm this some other day

Quote:
others have told me to shift gears @ 1750 rpm. if we change gears in baleno @ 1500 rpm.....whats the point of buying a baleno of late i have been shifting at 1700/1800 rpm.....i dont want to go below this. OK, in idling what should be the rpm?, i have seen that in idling the rpm usually keeps hovering between 700 to 1000 rpm, is this ok?
Changing at 1500 or 17/18 should not make any significant difference, so you're OK on this. Your idling rpm is also purr...fect!

Best of luck, venkat! I know of a senior mechanic at Vitesse (Prabhadevi) by name Ganatra (I always insist that only he touches my Maruti vehicles during service) who can diagnose problems even on 'phone. If your efforts with Jagdish Khattar fail, please let me know... I'll escalate your problem to Ganatra!
Old 22nd April 2006, 16:43   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Best of luck, venkat! I know of a senior mechanic at Vitesse (Prabhadevi) by name Ganatra (I always insist that only he touches my Maruti vehicles during service) who can diagnose problems even on 'phone. If your efforts with Jagdish Khattar fail, please let me know... I'll escalate your problem to Ganatra!
I am not sure whats the tyre pressue written actually, but i believe its not as low as 25. but i remember some debate about if it should be 29/30/31.....kind of range.
But i belive 32 psi would give a bumpy ride.

MSP thanks for ur suggestion, if Khattar doesn't respond, i will buzz u
Old 23rd April 2006, 19:05   #51
BHPian

just 7 more days to go......
Old 23rd April 2006, 20:06   #52
BHPian

How does the pressure of 32 psi translate into quality of drive ride?
I usually fill 30 psi all round . My experience is that pressure more than this makes the ride quite bumpy. Are you riding the stock tires?

3. C Baleno engines are tuned to achieve speeds of 38.4 kmph per 1000 rpm in top gear (1500-3000 rpm range).

Could you please explain. I am afraid that I did not quite understand this.

Thanks.
Old 23rd April 2006, 20:10   #53
BHPian

Quote:
How does the pressure of 32 psi translate into quality of drive ride?
I usually fill 30 psi all round . My experience is that pressure more than this makes the ride quite bumpy. Are you riding the stock tires?

" C Baleno engines are tuned to achieve speeds of 38.4 kmph per 1000 rpm in top gear (1500-3000 rpm range)."

Could you please explain. I am afraid that I did not quite understand this.

Thanks.
Old 23rd April 2006, 20:23   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Baleno engines are tuned to achieve speeds of 38.4 kmph per 1000 rpm in top gear (1500-3000 rpm range).
Hey MSP, i forgot to ask, where did you get this data? i had queries which maruti couldn't answer.....may be you could.

1. Is 'auto climate control'[vxi] more fuel efficient than 'normal ac' [lxi]? if yes how? if not why?

2. does 165/80 tyres more fuel efficient than 185/65 tyres?

3. some times AC gives some strange smell, i have observed this in both 'fresh air' mode as well as 'recycle air' modes. any clue what it is?

4. have you upgraded to 100/90 lights.....i find 60/55 stock lights pathetic. any other solution other than 100/90.

5. at what speed we get maximum FE (in bikes i remember 55 to 60 kmph was marked as economy zone, so what about balano?)

PS : btw i checked the 'fuel lid' i didn't see any tell tale marks of scratches.
Old 23rd April 2006, 20:49   #55
Senior - BHPian

I dont know why tha same options are not avaulable for all the cars.. I mean for Baleno you cannot specify FE more than 12 kmpl while for Aveo you can till 14kmpl... I for one will not believe the results here to be genuine..simply because options available were not same
Old 23rd April 2006, 21:35   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
I dont know why tha same options are not avaulable for all the cars.. I mean for Baleno you cannot specify FE more than 12 kmpl while for Aveo you can till 14kmpl... I for one will not believe the results here to be genuine..simply because options available were not same
MSPrabhakar & Buffetfan, I absolutely agree here - the FE ranges given for various cars unequal, hence the results will be biased. We need another poll! Also, include all engine capacities of a given model this time, specify a 'owners only' clause for voting, as suggested by Goldie...
Old 24th April 2006, 10:23   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon
MSPrabhakar & Buffetfan, I absolutely agree here - the FE ranges given for various cars unequal, hence the results will be biased. We need another poll! Also, include all engine capacities of a given model this time, specify a 'owners only' clause for voting, as suggested by Goldie...
Poseidon,

The FE ranges I have given were based on the different FEs I have heard from other people. We can very well have say a poll with a constant range of say from 8 kmpl to 15 kmpl for all cars

I you do plan to start a poll with 8 to 15 range for all cars, also please include the following cars which others requested by sending me PMs but i was unable to change it.

[ Aveo 1.4, Aveo 1.6, Baleno, Feista 1.4 petrol, Fiesta 1.6 petrol, NHC, NHC Vtec, Indigo petrol(1.? L)]

Even in this poll I had requested 'only owners' to vote. But I am not sure though if this the case.

BTW, even though I got 8 kmpl with my new Baleno I didn't vote because, as some people say this might be an one off case and i will vote only after Maruti-guys check my vehicle to give the 12 kmpl as the maruti-guys and others claim. Until then i withhold my vote
Old 24th April 2006, 15:20   #58
Senior - BHPian

venkat, different ranges for different cars was not fair. I mean, 12kmpl is not the max FE got on a Baleno.
Quote:
The FE ranges I have given were based on the different FEs I have heard from other people.
How come you missed v1p3r's Baleno's FE, which is in the whereabouts of 15kmpl ? I am sure you had heard about it - you even posted on that thread, if I am right.

Quote:
BTW, even though I got 8 kmpl with my new Baleno I didn't vote because, as some people say this might be an one off case and i will vote only after Maruti-guys check my vehicle to give the 12 kmpl as the maruti-guys and others claim. Until then i withhold my vote
If my car (Baleno or otherwise) gave a city FE of 8kmpl, I would also be worried. But, I guess you need to cool down. Reason being that, FE less than 10 have not been reported by anyone, as far as I am aware. Most get 11 or more. Some even 13 and a lucky few like mclaren/v1p3r get even more. Before buying it, I checked with around 3 Baleno owners (there were not many Balenos around then in Chennai. ). One reported 11, another 12 and one guy reported 15. I did not believe the last one as it sounded improbable and thought that the guy was playing a prank. But from what v1p3r posted, in hindsight, I am thinking that maybe he was right.

Before you think of taking on MUL (advt in papers) or taking legal recourse, why don't you try the following simple options.
1. Meet up with mclaren and v1p3r and let them have a look at your car, your driving style etc. You could have them do a FE test also - fill up with them, drive around for a week and then meet up with them again, fill up at the same pump and check the FE.
2. Go to a MASS and ask them to do an FE test using that FE-measuring contraption I mentioned in some other thread.
After this, you could try out your alternatives.

From the day I bought it till today @ 7500kms, I am getting around 12kmpl consistently. And i am happy - I mean, I had almost made the decision to go for NHC, just for the super FE that was claimed. But it would have been stupid to pay 1.6L extra for getting 1 more km per every litre.
Old 24th April 2006, 15:49   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
venkat, different ranges for different cars was not fair. I mean, 12kmpl is not the max FE got on a Baleno.

How come you missed v1p3r's Baleno's FE, which is in the whereabouts of 15kmpl ? I am sure you had heard about it - you even posted on that thread, if I am right.
I had seen v1p3r's FE, this was without AC as he had mentioned. And most of the other postings here and after talking to few people the reading i had heard was mostly 10 to 12 kmpl with AC in city. Hence i added +/- 2 for the range.

Supreme, infact even i was initially inclined towards NHC assuming 15kmpl and baleno was no where on my radar.....but after visiting this site i saw comments that NHC gives 13 kmpl in city.....and baleno is just 1 kmpl lesser at 12 kmpl in city and indiacar.com the author mentioned that balen o fe is 10.5 kmpl and nhc is 11.5 kmpl.

Lemme first get things correct/checked by MASS and if still not resolved i will go to the experts....
Old 24th April 2006, 17:26   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
And i am happy - I mean, I had almost made the decision to go for NHC, just for the super FE that was claimed. But it would have been stupid to pay 1.6L extra for getting 1 more km per every litre.
Then you might have as well saved another 70-80K and bought Fiat Petra, which gives same mileage, built stronger and has more power. I hope, you are getting my point.

Most Viewed