Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:01   #31
BANNED

Re: Honda City S-AT is back!

@sarathlal; The ECU keeps the same rpm in either case. However, in D the fuel fed is slightly more to overcome the Torque Converter. Remember a DSG will also have some mechanism for slipping the 'clutch' at idle / low speed.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 18:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Bit confused on why we need to shuttle between 'D' and 'N'.
The engine rpm is the same in both these modes as well as in 'R'. I am talking about running scenario, wherein the engine temperature has warmed up.

If this is the case, then efficiency vise are we gaining anything by moving across? Or is it the extra braking that we are avoiding? Or is there anything else?
Kindly excuse if this is completely
Hi Sarathlal, your second line captures the essence of the problem - in traffic we lose the need to clutch and engage gears by using automatic transmission.

But if we have to keep the brake pressed every time we halt - and halts can be prolonged in heavy Delhi ring road traffic - and in some routes there can be a lot of traffic lights - then the load on left leg for clutching is replaced by an even heavier load on right leg to keep the brake pressed.

Hence wondering if the AT is worth it or not - are we just replacing the clutch with a brake?

I am a very light commuter though - and plan to use the car occasionally since commuting will be using Santro (parking easy). But I do need to learn to use AT for renting cars abroad.

Thanks,
Old 22nd August 2012, 22:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkytalks View Post

Hence wondering if the AT is worth it or not - are we just replacing the clutch with a brake?

Thanks,
Nopes, not at all. sgiitk sir has fully explained in previous posts, the benefits and working of AT. Even in case of heavy stop and go traffic also, AT is far more superior in offering driving comfort compared to manual. Plus you always have the option of using hand brakes with drive in N.
And most of these high end cars have brake assists which further reduces user burden.

If driving comfort is what you want, go for an AT. City AT is one of the best in class.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 16:47   #34
BHPian

Hi All

My friend is going for the City 1.5 V AT Sunroof .Can anybody tell me what is the real mileage you can get in this version of Honda City,

I assume it is around 10-11 in city and in highways around 15-16

Can you please comment on this?
Old 28th January 2013, 22:23   #35
BHPian

I just completed 10000 kms on the new City V AT (with sun-roof). The mileage is between 10-11 in hot Delhi summers with AC on and 12-13 in winters with AC off.

On the highway, it depends on your drive. I drove it up the hills with heavy usage of pedal shifts and got 12-14 (overall).

Hope this helps!
Sumed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 10:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post
Hi All

My friend is going for the City 1.5 V AT Sunroof .Can anybody tell me what is the real mileage you can get in this version of Honda City,

I assume it is around 10-11 in city and in highways around 15-16

Can you please comment on this?
I get around 10-11 in the city with the AC on and about 15-18 on the highway depending on whether I activate S mode on the car or not. Some days I'm Schumacher, some days I'm not But fuel efficiency-wise this car is pretty much one of the best if not the best in its class.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 14:05   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I get around 10-11 in the city with the AC on and about 15-18 on the highway depending on whether I activate S mode on the car or not. Some days I'm Schumacher, some days I'm not But fuel efficiency-wise this car is pretty much one of the best if not the best in its class.
Thanks for the info "iliketurtles'

One more question. He would like to go for aftermarket fog lamps and the rear view indictor mirrors. Will that void the warranty? Any option to fit these without affecting the warranty?

Do you know any reliable source in and out of Bangalore?
Old 29th January 2013, 14:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Not a clue if it'll void the warranty or not BinFord, sorry about that. I like keeping the car stock, haven't gone for anything aftermarket whatsoever. His best bet is to just ask the Honda dealership if this will void his warranty, I'm sure they'll give him a straight answer.

And nope, no idea about Bangalore either. But you/he should check out the Team-BHP directory for Bangalore, I'm sure he'll find exactly what he's looking for in there wrt info on where to buy anything at all in Bangalore.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed