Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2006, 20:49   #1
BHPian

Lady driven cars..To buy or not to buy??

Hey guys..

Doctor driven (mainly men) vehicles are considered well maintained etc in the second hand market..so they are considered a decent buy..

Do you'll feel its the same with lady owned and driven cars...especially sports cars with manual trannys??? (or any cars with manual for that matter)

As i have been looking around for my car, i have seen the words "LADY OWNED / DRIVEN in bold!!! Most of the women i know think of the clutch pedal as a foot rest in contrast to its actual purpose..or dont use the clutch at times simply because they forgot or my favorite - (didnt feel like it..hahhaha)...this usually equals into a broken tranny or excessively worn teeth on the gears...

Please shed some light on this topic or even consider it while buying your next second hand car...

NO OFFENSE TO ANY LOVELY LADIES ON THIS FORUM

Last edited by R32_GTR : 20th April 2006 at 20:50.
Old 20th April 2006, 21:51   #2
BANNED

I think the tag "Lady Driven" is more of a warning bro
Old 20th April 2006, 22:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

There are women drivers that are better than most men drivers out there. Its just that the percentage is way way too low

Usual probs to watch out would only be with the clutch..and the dents..and the engine..and the whole car
Old 20th April 2006, 22:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

Tell the lady to take you for a drive and see what her driving style is like and then make the decision.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2006, 06:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its sad to say that we actually believe that a doctors car or a parsi's car is a better maintained car.

I am saying this even though my own uncle is a doctor. Its a myth that needs to be broken.

THere is either no difference in the cars condition compared to those driven by men or are in better condition as most of the women drive slow and carefully.

as for the concept of Women playing foul with the cars gears, I have seen male counterparts do the same.

lets not be partial here.
Old 21st April 2006, 06:46   #6
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Its sad to say that we actually believe that a doctors car or a parsi's car is a better maintained car.
YES.

Doctors and CAs are the most non-technical people. That doesn't mean their cars are bad.... but just means... there is NO reason why they would be good.
Old 21st April 2006, 07:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
YES.

Doctors and CAs are the most non-technical people. That doesn't mean their cars are bad.... but just means... there is NO reason why they would be good.
my thoughts exactly. Each and every persons cars should be treated in the same way. Doctors, Parsis or women.
Old 21st April 2006, 07:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Tell the lady to take you for a drive and see what her driving style is like and then make the decision.

cya
R
hmmmmm.... interesting suggestion rehaan... especially to all bachelors.... if the car is not good enough... ensure the woman is....

p.s. just jokin pal...
Old 21st April 2006, 09:27   #9
BHPian

I would like to agree with BOOM SHIVA on this one....

Rehaan, your suggestion seems the most logical thing to do....and on some occasions..it could also help to see if the seat belts work...

OT: COULD ALSO BE A GOOD WAY TO MEET WOMEN!!!
(like some of you'll have mentioned)

Thanks guys...
Old 21st April 2006, 09:36   #10
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR
Rehaan, your suggestion seems the most logical thing to do....and on some occasions..it could also help to see if the seat belts work...
Yes Rehaan's suggestion is really interesting...
but seriously speaking!... there's much more to owning a car than driving it.
Most people are able to drive properly but not maintain properly!... b'coz they don't know their cars.
Old 21st April 2006, 10:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Doc cars coz they dont drive much. Just point A to point B.

Nice one Rehaan
Old 21st April 2006, 12:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Being a doctor's son, I seriously warn taking for granted a doctor's car. Unles they are auto enthuiasts like us they don't care for it as long as it works for A to B driving. They don't even check with the service center what the problem is.

A mechanic told my cousin once that the doctors are the most cheated people by them.
Old 21st April 2006, 19:47   #13
BHPian

Right......

you guys are seeming to drift away from the whole topic....its the girls causing the damage boys !!!!!

NOT THE DOCTORS!!!... but its a valid discussion!!!

( AS LONG AS THE MODS PERMIT)....well if not........tooo bad...

FACE IT....ITS A FACT!!!

SORRY!!!
Old 21st April 2006, 22:05   #14
BHPian

All cars get driven by ladies, never mind if she's not behind the wheel (remember Rani Mukherjee 'driving' the Aveo in the ad?)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR
...As i have been looking around for my car, i have seen the words "LADY OWNED / DRIVEN in bold...
It's tBHP-ians' moral responsibility to rescue such cars... After all, don't we believe that every car has a soul waiting to be liberated and a birth right to be treated with dignity?

Last edited by msprabhakar : 21st April 2006 at 22:08.
Old 21st April 2006, 22:53   #15
elf
BANNED

Tell me what YOU would buy...

July 1986 - March 1990.
Back in 1986, Dad bought Mom a brand new model Maruti 800 for her birthday. It was one of the first 500 of the new shape then, & was entirely Japanese, save for the tyres.

She kept it well... drove it only around Bandra & insisted on the Maruti Authorised Service Centre at the correct service intervals. The driver was only allowed to touch the car to go fill fuel when it reached 1/2 tank - ("white" petrol only, mind you, because "nahin to gaari kharaab hoyega"), & she never, ever, went into a pothole.

I think I once saw her drive at maybe 60 kmph (the rest of the time it was doing a MAXX of 40)!

It had it's original MRF bias-ply tyres & looked brand new till 1990. She didn't bother with a music system (didn't want rattles due to poor installation) because she only drove around a 5 km radius from where we live. The suspension, steering, & bodyline were completely original - all in all, a perfect, scratchless, "showroom" single lady driven car. It had run a total of 12,300 km in 4 years - a little under 9 km per day.

March 1990 - September 1992.
When I started driving (sharing) her car in 1990, I immediately changed:
1. the tyres to Ceat Zigma CC,
2. installed a state of the art Pioneer sound system (can't remember which model)
3. replaced the clutch for the heck of it.
4. painted the B-pillars & wheel centers black.

Then I drove it to it's max speed of 136kmph straight to Pune & back, music blasting, without a thought for potholes / speed breakers / people / cows / etc. I used to subscribe to Car&Driver, Motor Trend, etc. tried out slipstreaming with every truck & bus along the way.

A coupla months later (due to unavoidable circumstances), I crashed the car head-on into a low stone wall at Pali Hill at 80 kmph when out with friends one night. The lower chassis cross-member was royally f$%^, for want of a better word. I'd bent both axles & cracked the engine mounts. However, the car, from the outside, looked fine & was drivable, if though a bit noisy. I drove it back home, quite irritated with the damn stone wall, & parked it away carefully. I proceeded to have the car repaired quietly (telling my Mom it was "maintenance" for the few days that it was away).

I continued to race around in it & street scrap with friends - had a few near scrapes, what with me taking my "always ahead" bit quite seriously. Never careless, mind you, just carefree.

September 1992 - July 2004.
Dad bought a brand new Maruti 1000 for my birthday (as Mom insisted that she didn't want such a "big" car), & she once again had full ownership of her 800. It had now racked up 68,600 km - an average of 70 km per day in the 30 months that I shared it with her. It had been busted, banged, pranged, & now rattled quite a bit.

She refused Dad's offer of a new car & proceeded to restore it, bit by bit, till it stopped rattling & was near perfect again.

Dad later offered to buy her a Zen in 1993 when it came out, but she simply wouldn't hear of it, saying she loved her "baby elf", as it was lovingly called.

We finally sold it in July 2004 when I simply bought her Alto.

So you tell me... lady owner or not?

Most Viewed