Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 00:19   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda India to enter pre-owned car business by March 2013

No doubt, the excellent returns provided by Maruti Suzuki's exchange programs, plus the slowly thriving pre-owned businesses such as Maruti True Value, Mahindra First Choice, Hyundai Advantage, etc., has made the Czech auto major sit up and take notice of this segment as well. Add to it, the new car sales market has gone sluggish in recent times, petrol rates being hiked, diesel on the verge of being de-regulated or taxed higher, and more and more people are turning towards the pre-worshipped car route to purchase and own the car of their dreams.

What to expect from Skoda? The dealership numbers to increase, dealership revamps by introducing and integrating an official Skoda "pre-owned" brand, and some excellently maintained Skoda cars to be made available as good deals, complete with company warranty for at least 1 year (maybe add the Skoda Shield package to a pre-owned car for one year as standard warranty).

Sudhir Rao, managing director, Skoda India-

Quote:
“We are working on putting in place a comprehensive growth strategy to penetrate deeper into the country with our range of products. We will not trigger discount wars to boost numbers but we are working on entering the pre-owned cars business to introduce more customers to our brand by the end of the year.”
So finally, that delectable Skoda Superb/Yeti will be finally within reach, eh? Start saving your finances.

SOURCE - Skoda to enter pre-owned car business

Last edited by RavenAvi : 14th August 2012 at 00:20.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 01:36   #2
BHPian

Re: Skoda India to enter pre-owned car business by March 2013

This is good news indeed. But unless Skoda plans to give an extended warranty to it's pre-owned machines, not many would dare to go that route.

Of late, Skoda India seems to be pulling up their socks and I hope it continues to remain that way.

Good going.
Old 14th August 2012, 05:17   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi

What to expect from Skoda? The dealership numbers to increase, dealership revamps by introducing and integrating an official Skoda "pre-owned" brand, and some excellently maintained Skoda cars to be made available as good deals, complete with company warranty for at least 1 year (maybe add the Skoda Shield package to a pre-owned car for one year as standard warranty).

Sudhir Rao, managing director, Skoda India-

So finally, that delectable Skoda Superb/Yeti will be finally within reach, eh? Start saving your finances.

SOURCE - Skoda to enter pre-owned car business
An excellent move by Skoda. Buying pre-owned is a great way to enter a brand and indeed, this will be a nice way for some of us to be able to buy in to the Euro league!
Old 14th August 2012, 12:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

About time Skoda did this. Their cars are sure drive worthy. Ask any satisfied owner!
However, its the dealers that bring nightmares at times. Skoda should introduce the Skoda Shield on the pre owned, a la BSI.
Probably increase the Shield protection by a year or so.
Old 15th August 2012, 00:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

A no stories Yeti,at a lower price point would be an enticing deal.I am sure depreciation might be a bit higher for there.
Old 15th August 2012, 06:36   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar
A no stories Yeti,at a lower price point would be an enticing deal.I am sure depreciation might be a bit higher for there.
What does 'no stories' mean?
Old 15th August 2012, 08:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
What does 'no stories' mean?
I think he means without any accidents and no breakdown/major overhaul
Old 15th August 2012, 21:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar
About time Skoda did this. Their cars are sure drive worthy. Ask any satisfied owner!
However, its the dealers that bring nightmares at times. Skoda should introduce the Skoda Shield on the pre owned, a la BSI.
Probably increase the Shield protection by a year or so.
Superlike!

Skoda has always had a rich history of making very involving and FTD cars. I am one satisfied owner! However in India, it has always been the much-maligned A.S.S coupled with the much-overhyped "reliability issues" that has proved to be a deterrent for a serious buyer. Like Swanand pointed out, I believe a lot of that is to do with their dealerships and the slightly callous approach the company has taken over the years. They really let things slide bigtime.

However by entering the used car market, Skoda seems to be taking the issue head-on and aiming to directly reduce that exposure. Obviously there's also a strong business opportunity there somewhere but for now at least, certified per-owned Skoda cars will no longer be perceived as "hot potatoes". And that itself is a welcome sign for enthusiasts like us.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 15th August 2012 at 21:25.
Old 15th August 2012, 22:50   #9
BHPian

This is definitely a good move by Skoda.

Most Skoda vehicles well built, so they can be brought up to a 'warranty-worthy' state relatively easily.

But the second front where this will help the company is that it should improve the overall resale value of Skoda cars, which is below par when you compare it with the Japanese or even some other European makes.

Cheers!!
Old 16th August 2012, 05:34   #10
Team-BHP Support

When it comes to Skoda, reliability comes immediately to the mind.

So, if Skoda can 1) guarantee a reliable car and 2) provide some form of warranty (like the 1 yr that Maruti True Value) offers, this might work.

But, they really need to work on their credibility!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 10:53   #11
BHPian

We are not able to buy New car itself with 100% confidence and trust from them.

Wont it be a huge risk of money, buying a second hand from them.

But we have the Indian Non Petrol head Junta putting in hard earned money when they hear one world called "Discount" or "Mega Sale"
Ananthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 11:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ In fact the risk will be substantially lower, IMO. For one, most of the early-adopter issues will have been taken care of in the first ownership. Secondly, you will pay considerably lower for the pre-worshipped car and that in itself is the main reason these dealerships become important.

I am a little skeptical how Skoda will cultivate the image of a reputable used-car dealer given their past history. It will be interesting to see if customers will repose their faith in the used-Skoda dealerships the way they do with say Maruti TruValue or even a multibrand dealer like First Choice.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 12:33   #13
BHPian

Hi all,
I think its a good move, and as a skoda fabia owner who has had to see some good and bad of Skoda, I take this news with happiness and some skepticism at the same time.
Most Skoda components even in the Fabia are imported, a fact that i came to realise when my car crashed and had to be rebuilt virtually. Parts are expensive, and slow to come by, with a single facility at Aurangabad catering to national demand. The minimum time of receiving spares after ordering them online is 15 days, and thats express speed for them. Airlifting parts means paying 9% premium, which delaers dont like to. The localisation of parts is minimal, even radiator fans, wires and tubings are of imported origin. I hope that means quality and longevity, but on flip side, the cost and availabilty is restricted.
In the light of these facts, i wonder how they will satisfy customers owning pre owned vehicles which may need more spares than new cars, given the dismal record of their after sales. One thing i like about the move is it may increase the value of my car if i want to sell it!!

Cheers
Durga Prasan
Old 28th September 2012, 01:25   #14
BHPian

Well, I would love to own a pre-owned Laura TSi if could get at reasonable price and warranty package, though A.S.S. from skoda has been in question for a long time now..
Old 28th September 2012, 06:37   #15
BHPian

Interesting! Finally atleast they are making sound bites to show they are serious about increasing market share. If they are truly serious about changing the perception people have of them they need to do something more tangible to achieve that. One thing they could do is extending the warranty on the 7 speed DSG. If they can do so in the U.S. they should do it in India as well. That will go much farther to enhance their credibility than the current initiative.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks