Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2012, 03:14   #16
BHPian

Re: Autocar India Scoop: Next gen i10

This is Kia Picanto. Hyundai may rebadge it as i10. Both are based on same platform but Kia's new cars look much better than Hyundai's.
Old 31st August 2012, 07:18   #17
BHPian

This is the Kia Morning or Kia Picanto, it looks way better than i10, and its based on the i10 platform.
Either Kia entering India, or Hyundai re-badging Morning as the new i10.
Old 31st August 2012, 08:16   #18
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the sharp crease on the sides, the rear door window's quarter pillars, the brake light on the spoiler and some other similarities, even i thought this is the Kia Picanto, which Hyundai was going to badge-engineer as the new i10.

But the major difference can be seen in the difference in the Fender and the bonnet panels.

2013 Hyundai i10 spied. EDIT : Spotted in India on Page 2!-i10-1.jpg

2013 Hyundai i10 spied. EDIT : Spotted in India on Page 2!-kia.jpg

It looks like Hyundai is genuinely coming up with Fluidic i10.
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 08:37   #19
BHPian

I have booked a new i10 auto for my wife. Should I wait now? I like the new i20 among the lot. Looks more polished than all the other funky fluidic creations.
Old 31st August 2012, 08:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
I have booked a new i10 auto for my wife. Should I wait now? I like the new i20 among the lot. Looks more polished than all the other funky fluidic creations.
999, they are just testing it now. Considering iGen i20's timelines, there would be atleast 4 to 6 months timeframe for it to go into production phase.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 14:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2013 Hyundai i10 spied. EDIT : Now spotted in India!

2014 hyundai i10 test mules are spotted in Chennai (courtesy MotorVikatan):

https://www.facebook.com/MotorVikatan?ref=ts
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 09:53   #22
BHPian

Hyundai i10 to most likely add a 1.1L diesel to its range. News piece in ET today. Though the news about the 1.1L diesel is from ET not directly from Hyundai. Honda Brio diesel is also mentioned, in addition to the soon to be launched Chevrolet Sail U-VA. Following is an excerpt regarding Hyundai 1.1L diesel and the full article is given below it:

In the next 8-12 months, Hyundai will come out with a diesel version of the i10 while Honda will make its debut in this space with a Brio diesel hatchback and entry-level sedan.

Hyundai's i10 diesel with a 1.1-litre engine, which currently powers the i20 sold in the European market, will be positioned between the Nano diesel and premium diesel hatchbacks like the Swift and i20.

Hatchbacks Gear up to Ride the Diesel Wave

LIJEE PHILIP & KETAN THAKKAR MUMBAI

In the first week of November, the Chevrolet Sail U-VA premium diesel hatchback from General Motors (GM) will hit Indian roads, marking the Detroit-based carmaker’s entry into a segment currently dominated by Tata Indica, Hyundai i20, Ford Figo and Maruti Swift. This will be GM’s second small car running on the cheaper fuel, after the Beat diesel.

GM is not alone in shoring up its presence in the diesel segment. In the next 8-12 months, Hyundai will come out with a diesel version of the i10 while Honda will make its debut in this space with a Brio diesel hatchback and entry-level sedan. And, around that time, a vendor close to the project expects Tata Motors to be ready with an 800cc diesel engine for its ultra low-cost car, the Nano.

According to several different vendors ET spoke to, these new diesel cars between them are likely to bring in an additional 1 lakh units of diesel capacity in the next fiscal year. This fresh burst of dieselisation in the segment matters the most as it has the potential to put the industry back on the double-digit growth trajectory against just 6% in the first half of the current fiscal year. Even that growth was courtesy a massive 56% spike in sales of utility vehicles; sales of passenger cars on their own actually declined 0.27% in the six months to September 2012. The sudden burst of diesel hatchback projects comes at a time petrol car sales have fallen 20% even as diesel car sales have grown 42% during April-September.

The share of diesel models in the overall passenger vehicle space rose to 56% in the first half of fiscal year 2013 from 42% a year ago; in contrast, petrol cars accounted for 44%, down from 58% in April-September 2012. The share of diesel cars in the overall pie has been climbing rapidly, from 15% in fiscal 2008 to 21%, 25%, 36% and 47% in the following four years till fiscal year 2012.

“The diesel Sail UV-A gives us a legitimate presence in a growing segment and we expect it to help us grow our footprint,” said Lowell Paddock, managing director, GM India. The Chevrolet Sail U-VA will run on Fiat’s multi-jet 1.3-litre diesel engine.

The small diesel cars will create new price points in the sub-Rs 5 lakh range, a bracket in which there are not too many diesel car options. The Tata Nano diesel, to be powered by an 800cc twin-cylinder common rail diesel engine, is expected to create a new entry-level diesel car segment. Hyundai's i10 diesel with a 1.1-litre engine, which currently powers the i20 sold in the European market, will be positioned between the Nano diesel and premium diesel hatchbacks like the Swift and i20.

The roughly 50% differential between diesel and petrol is one obvious reason for the craze for diesel cars. At the same time, diesel technology has progressed, reducing the cost of ownership and getting rid of some of the inconveniences associated with the fuel (including poor fuel efficiency and environment-unfriendliness).

“The technologically advanced diesel engines that offer better durability and mileage are leading to a change in the mindsets of customers,” says Rakesh Srivastava, who heads sales & marketing at Hyundai.

A section of analysts is upbeat that this burst of diesel launches will do its bit to revive the auto market. “New launches per se do help in creating some excitement; the diesel models will generate even more interest. With these new launches and an expected easing in interest rates, we expect the passenger car market to grow 12-13% in the next fiscal.” says Deepesh Rathore, managing director, HIS Automotive, a consulting firm.

The key to success will be pricing, particularly at the entry level where consumers are even more price-sensitive. “Affordability will be an issue here and that’s one challenge the industry will have to tackle. A price difference of even Rs 20,000-30,000 is very critical, especially in the sub-Rs 4 lakh bracket. The initial cost of acquisition, cost of maintenance along with fuel price are the key factors that influence buying decisions,” says a senior official at a multinational carmaker who did not want to be named. That may explain why a few carmakers are not as sanguine as some others about diesel small cars being the harbinger of a turnaround. “The new diesel models will definitely bring in incremental volumes, but they may not be enough to result in the next bull run for the passenger car market,” says Jnaneswar Sen, senior VP for sales & marketing at Honda Cars India. Sen seems to more optimisitic about another avatar of the Brio that Honda is preparing to launch — an entry-level sedan.

Last edited by jessie007 : 29th October 2012 at 10:00.
Old 29th October 2012, 10:33   #23
BHPian

1.1 litre diesel engine details as sold in i20 (yes i20, not the i10) in Europe:
  • 1120 CC 3 cylinder 12-valve DOHC developing 74 BHP @ 4000 RPM and 180 Nm of torque between 1750-2500 RPM (means it has a VGT)
  • There are six gears, as it uses the i20's gearbox - for India it is most likely to use i10's i.e. if it can handle a diesel engine's torque
  • Euro V compliant and does 0-100 in 15.7 seconds with a top speed of 99 MPH (158 KPH)
  • Though the engine is likely to be slightly de-tuned to run on Indian fuel, plus it is most likely to come without a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) as it doesn't need to pass Euro/Bharat stage V norms as yet
  • i20 diesel's price in UK starts at £11740 (~Rs.10 lakhs), but since the 1.1L engine is likely to be plonked in the i10 (and not the i20 - for now atleast) it is likely to be priced cheaper, considering the price of i20 (1.2 petrol) starts from £9940 (~Rs. 8.60 lakhs) in UK and Rs. in India it is just Rs. 5 lakhs (though in UK even the base 'Classic' variant comes with all the safely features)
  • i10 diesel could be priced just above the Beat diesel's price range (Rs. 4.6-6 lakhs), considering it has more power. So most likely it'll start from Rs.4.90 lakhs
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Hyundai i10 spied. EDIT : Spotted in India on Page 2!-i101100d.jpg  

Last edited by jessie007 : 29th October 2012 at 10:43.
jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 22:33   #24
BHPian

Was traveling past Hyundai Factory yesterday. saw these. Thought of sharing the pics.

@ Mods: Pl feel free to delete this if this is of no/very little value.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Hyundai i10 spied. EDIT : Spotted in India on Page 2!-img711.jpg  

2013 Hyundai i10 spied. EDIT : Spotted in India on Page 2!-img712.jpg  

2013 Hyundai i10 spied. EDIT : Spotted in India on Page 2!-img713.jpg  

2013 Hyundai i10 spied. EDIT : Spotted in India on Page 2!-img714.jpg  

sri2012 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 23:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri2012 View Post
Was traveling past Hyundai Factory yesterday. saw these. Thought of sharing the pics.

nice pics. Thanks. they do add value for sure. Can you check if you can watermark them? And you may want to drive down that route more often eh?
kmadhok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 23:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

It is LHD version and looks slightly different from Autocar scoop pic. The fender/bonnet panels seem to resemble the Kia Picanto as per the illustration a few posts before by MAS.
Old 19th December 2012, 00:04   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri2012 View Post

Nice catch Sri2012.

A LHD version it is! It does look like a long wheelbase model of the i10 and the Eon mix. But seeing the front fender and bonnet shape it looks more towards Kia Picanto and the headlamps and Tail lamps resemble too.

Which route is this buddy?
Old 19th December 2012, 08:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Nice catch Sri2012.

A LHD version it is! It does look like a long wheelbase model of the i10 and the Eon mix. But seeing the front fender and bonnet shape it looks more towards Kia Picanto and the headlamps and Tail lamps resemble too.

Which route is this buddy?

Yes all 3 cars were LHD. Route was towards B'lore from Hyundai factory.
Old 19th December 2012, 20:19   #29
BHPian

Re: 2013 Hyundai i10 spied. EDIT : Spotted in India on Page 2!

New i10 seems to be grown up in all the aspects, like dimensions, tyres/wheel size, fuel-types powering it.
It seems to be more bulbous like the Swift, even in the terms of length & width, as visible from the pics. New raised bonnet is also of New Swift-like & looks much better than current i10.
From the looks, it also seems that the car has lost its vertical theme, new tail-lights are also seems to be horizontally laid-out, like Matiz.

Expect this car to be dynamically & ergonomically more active than ongoing version.
Old 20th December 2012, 10:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2013 Hyundai i10 spied. EDIT : Spotted in India on Page 2!

It will be a 1.1L diesel engine in i10, expected launch early next year.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed