Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2006, 12:19   #1

Welcome the AVEO U-VA

The Aveo U-VA is a stunning five-door hatchback and will be available with a 1.4L VGIS engine.

This 4 cylinder engine has 16 valve DOHC (Double Overhead Camshaft) configuration producing a whopping torque of 127 NM and delivers a power of 94PS. This force will be fed to the wheels via a five-speed manual transmission. The U-VA is armed to the teeth with features like tachometer, intermittent wipers, power windows, central-locking, remote entry, air conditioning, power steering, rear wiper and washer, rear defogger and 14-inch alloy wheels.

As an added advantage, it comes with Chevrolet's Variable Geometry Intake System (VGIS) technology that provides the ideal balance between performance and fuel economy. It also has an amazingly short turning circle of just 9.8m - ideal for congested Indian roads.

The Aveo comes with best-in-class cabin room and can comfortably seat five. Overall, the Aveo hatchback is a car with great space and greater performance.

And I beleive i will be priced less the Swift and Getz...

Can't wait to take a test drive....
Old 21st April 2006, 12:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

From what I know, GM has postponed its launch & are planning to get the U-VA with a 1.2 liter engine to avail tax benefits available to under 1300cc engine cars (If I rmeber correctly then in this budget the Govt has a tax structure as per which the 1300 cc & above engine cars are taxed more than lower cc engine cars).

I am not very sure about it but thats what I remember the dealer telling me. Also he says that this way GM will aggresively price the U-VA against Swift & Getz.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st April 2006 at 12:32.
Old 21st April 2006, 14:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhellwemeet
It also has an amazingly short turning circle of just 9.8m - ideal for congested Indian roads.

9.8m turning radius is tooooo high. Trucks will have this much turning radius. NHC has turning radius of 4.9m. I think you mentioned wrong number here.
Old 21st April 2006, 15:16   #4
BHPian

It is there in today's TOI... Aveo U-VA will be launched in June - July this year and yes, they are looing at launching the 1.2 CC version.

and I think "inhellwemeet" meant circle (diameter) and not radius!
Old 21st April 2006, 15:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumed
It is there in today's TOI... Aveo U-VA will be launched in June - July this year and yes, they are looing at launching the 1.2 CC version.

and I think "inhellwemeet" meant circle (diameter) and not radius!
i think the excise cut from 24% to 16% was for 1200 cc and less(for petrol), in that case Aveo 1.2 will get this price benefit and will compete against swift 1.3 and getz 1.3 which wont get the benefit.

This could result in a huge price difference between Aveo and swift/getz. This could potentially turn this midsegment upside down.

Then it wont be suprising to see a similar response from maruti/hyundai to get a 1.2 L power train for swift/getz.

Guys, good times ahead.......lets watch the game in june/july.
Old 21st April 2006, 15:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And I beleive i will be priced less the Swift and Getz...
Dont think so...

But i'm eagerly waiting for its launch...
Old 21st April 2006, 16:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narasimha raju
9.8m turning radius is tooooo high. Trucks will have this much turning radius. NHC has turning radius of 4.9m. I think you mentioned wrong number here.
he didn't mentioned that 9.8 was radius or diameter!
he just wrote 9.8 mtr circle!

and i think it has to be 4.9mtrs of radius only and nothing else.
Old 21st April 2006, 16:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

It wont look as good as Swift....no doubting the extra power it offers though....
Old 21st April 2006, 22:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The Aveo U-VA is a stunning five-door hatchback and will be available with a 1.4L VGIS engine.
I dont think this car is stunning. I have seen this in US. It was kind of ugly. Could look slightly better here.
Old 22nd April 2006, 02:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can't wait to take a test drive
Don't get too excited about this car buddy. I have driven the Pontiac Wave here (Aveo badged as the Pontiac Wave) with the 1.6L engine and even with the bigger engine the car was pretty ordinary in the way it drove and handled.

And I am not too sure how good the 1.2L engine would fare with a fairly heavy body. The car will be pretty sluggish wouldn't it? Maybe GM will have the 1.2 as the entry level variant and a bigger 1.4L for "performance".
Old 22nd April 2006, 03:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumed
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
i think the excise cut from 24% to 16% was for 1200 cc and less(for petrol), in that case Aveo 1.2 will get this price benefit and will compete against swift 1.3 and getz 1.3 which wont get the benefit.

This could result in a huge price difference between Aveo and swift/getz. This could potentially turn this midsegment upside down.

Then it wont be suprising to see a similar response from maruti/hyundai to get a 1.2 L power train for swift/getz.

Guys, good times ahead.......lets watch the game in june/july.
Ah this is just as I expected and discussed in this thread below.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...razy-1-2s.html
Thanks for the news Sumed

Last edited by Mpower : 22nd April 2006 at 03:53.
Old 22nd April 2006, 10:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by narasimha raju
9.8m is the turning circle, Turning diameter (radius) curb-to-curb is 4.9m.
Old 22nd April 2006, 10:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
I dont think this car is stunning. I have seen this in US. It was kind of ugly. Could look slightly better here.
It depends on which model you had looked at... was it the 2006 GM 5-Door segment one or the old one ?

What ever may be the case I am eagar to test drive it ...
Old 22nd April 2006, 10:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
From what I know, GM has postponed its launch & are planning to get the U-VA with a 1.2 liter engine to avail tax benefits available to under 1300cc engine cars (If I rmeber correctly then in this budget the Govt has a tax structure as per which the 1300 cc & above engine cars are taxed more than lower cc engine cars).

I am not very sure about it but thats what I remember the dealer telling me. Also he says that this way GM will aggresively price the U-VA against Swift & Getz.
May not be true, accroding to my sources they are lanching the 1.4ltr version in june/july. And yes they are looking at release a base variant with the 1.2ltr engine at a later date (The one used in Chevy Kalos in Australia).
Old 22nd April 2006, 10:24   #15

Some more pic guys...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks