Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 15:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti launches special edition - Wagon R Pro

Any day and i would always have the same choice - a car without stickers or graphics , especially from Maruti but to their credit they have not left it at that and have added a few decent items such as the parking sensors , the system. So atleast its a decent effort towards a limited edition.
Old 16th September 2013, 15:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

You cant blame Maruti for selling the rehashed brands with insipid graphics and few accessories thrown in. They are trying to sell in hard times and will go to any lenghts to sell. The latest Madhavan autographed edition is a proof of it. They cant afford to sell them at lower price, hence this circus.

Is this the Maruti way of pulling the curtains on the Wagon R brand?
Old 16th September 2013, 18:06   #33
BHPian

Maruti should drop such funny "special editions" for good. Like many of our mates said, why would someone pay for a car which is bearing Madhavan's signature. I doubt Madhavan can really bring more buyers for WagonR.

Looks like Maruti's marketing think tanks want to emulate the success of Fiat Palio's special edition with Sachin Tendulkar's signature. But what Fiat did was a class apart.
Old 16th September 2013, 18:36   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Maruti should drop such funny "special editions" for good. Like many of our mates said, why would someone pay for a car which is bearing Madhavan's signature. I doubt Madhavan can really bring more buyers for WagonR.
Buy why Madhavan?!

Maruti should stop such editions and waste time and inventory of these kind of decals and stickers.

Who is the Product development or New product launching guy? He should be

Anurag.
Old 16th September 2013, 19:26   #35
BHPian

Is this Madhavan, the actor? Then, here's why. The consumer is the first idiot (Sharman), the dealer is the second idiot (Madhavan), and Maruti is the third idiot (Aamir). There you go!

Last edited by Mad Max : 16th September 2013 at 19:27.
Old 16th September 2013, 20:00   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Maruti should drop such funny "special editions" for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Maruti should stop such editions and waste time and inventory of these kind of decals and stickers.
To me, the Stingray was a special edition of the Wagon R. The Madhavan-edition isn't really a special edition.

Projector head lamps, a different engine or state of tune, and may be even a raised suspension would count as a special edition. Decals, upsized wheels, and spoilers are options rather than special editions. Special paint colors or color schemes shouldn't be referred to as 'editions'. If they did, the local magazines would simply print the cover in a different color and refer to it as the next month's edition, with the same content on the inside (perhaps with a different layout - Eg. images on the left instead of the right).

Some manufacturers like Toyota sell limited editions with the chrome plates and badging replaced by gold-colored ones. To me, even those are a different color scheme rather than a limited edition. But it seems to be the industry norm to call them limited editions.

Or maybe I'm just not taking it with the same emotion as the marketing folk intended because they are targeting a different audience with Madhavan's signature. A 'dhoom' special edition would be in black, have a larger exhaust pipe, fatter tires, and more engine 'growl' noise on flooring the accelerator.
Old 17th September 2013, 10:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Unfortunately, not a single Limited-ed by Maruti has ever appealed to the mass market.
I beg to differ. The limited edition two door Zen Carbon and Steel were quite a rage.

Most Viewed