Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2012, 13:14   #151
BHPian

re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I am a bit confused here. Where did the 65 ps engine suddenly come into picture? Initial reports talked of a 100Bhp one. A Bhpian had infact shared a document too in that context. Can somebody shed more light on this? I hope there are two engines on offer if they intend to give it the 65 bhp one.
The confusion has arisen from the report of Overdrive which talks about a 65Ps engine, while this forum as well as ACI have reported 100BHP engine. I am not sure if there are 2 versions or it is a mistake on part of Overdrive or ACI. There cannot be 2 versions with such a wide difference in power and both being 3 cylinder engines, hence error seems to be a more logical conclusion.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:01   #152
BHPian

Somehow, this reminds me of an ugly looking car called Hyundai MATRIX , pinninfarina design . It almost looks like an exact copy except for the wheel mounted at the back .
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:11   #153
BHPian

atleast it looks and should sound better than bolero, which is downright ugly and sounds like an agricultural pump but still sells above 6000 units every month!
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:21   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
atleast it looks and should sound better than bolero, which is downright ugly and sounds like an agricultural pump but still sells above 6000 units every month!
Current bolero is very much refined as far as sound is concerned, i really like the muted roaring sound it makes.

Bolero has been selling above 9k mark since last 2-3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Somehow, this reminds me of an ugly looking car called Hyundai MATRIX , pinninfarina design . It almost looks like an exact copy except for the wheel mounted at the back .
I feel the looks of Quanto can be its biggest hurdle.
It looks good when shod will alloys though.
Mahindra should have worked hard on giving it a different look rather than current Xylo , since Xylo is not so popular on the looks front.

Last edited by silverado : 3rd September 2012 at 23:29.
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:27   #155
Senior - BHPian

Looks good to me. IMO current refreshed Xylo face would look much better on Quanto. May be Mahindra has reserved it for next update i.e. Quanto Face lift?
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:32   #156
BHPian

i can't tell from existing pictures but it should not be as tall as the current xylo, that would make it out of proportion, secondly the deal maker or breaker is going to be the pricing, if base model is around Rs 5.5 lacs it would surely sell, if it comes above Rs 6 lacs it won't effect the hatchbacks like swift,vista,figo etc as they have much higher fuel efficiency and that is also one of the major concern for those going in for diesel vehicles.

Maybe it will eat away some sales from scorpio, safari, xylo and the like particularly those buyers who want a diesel SUV/MUV but have to buy one of the above mentioned as there is no option in lower price range except premier Rio which doesn't have a good service network like Mahindra.
Old 4th September 2012, 01:27   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoo View Post
....has confirmed that the production of the Quanto has indeed commenced and would be priced at ~6.5 Lakhs. He also said that Mahindra was aiming for the Duster and plans to undercut its price by a substantial margin.
I would have been extremely happy if the Quanto had taken the fight to the hatchbacks as well! Probably removing the 2 seats, some other features and single turbo version with 65PS for base version might have helped them to price around 5.5-6L. A bit disappointed with the strategy to compete with Duster! When they have a M2Di Scorpio to take it on, why bother with Quanto?!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th September 2012 at 01:29.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 08:50   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I would have been extremely happy if the Quanto had taken the fight to the hatchbacks as well! Probably removing the 2 seats, some other features and single turbo version with 65PS for base version might have helped them to price around 5.5-6L. A bit disappointed with the strategy to compete with Duster! When they have a M2Di Scorpio to take it on, why bother with Quanto?!

+1 to this.

Compared to the regular Xylo, the Quanto has a smaller engine, truncated length (below the 4 metre length to avail excise duty benefits), with smaller tyres, and many common parts of the Xylo cockpit.

Considering the justifications above, the least Mahindra should do is to offer the Quanto with a base price of 5 to 5.5 lakhs, which will be 1.5 to 2 lakhs less than the price of the regular Xylo base variant.
Old 4th September 2012, 11:25   #159
BHPian

Fresh interior shots of Quanto, courtesy ACI

http://www.autocarindia.com/Gallery/...ots-added.aspx

The interiors are the same as Xylo.
Old 4th September 2012, 11:29   #160
Senior - BHPian

The cars posted by ACI and the one on previous page have different interiors. Did anyone notice that?
Old 4th September 2012, 12:59   #161
BHPian

In all the pictures of the test mule seen till now,
I have not been able to assess a considerable reduction in height.

And if that is the case, this will be one of the most unstable vehicles from mahindra till now

talking of the interiors, i Believe that they will make a considerable change to differentiate it from the xylo, otherwise it will a be bit hard for the premium customers to digest and bad for its own MUV.

Have quite high hopes with mahindra this time, hearing about the 100ps twin turbo unit, because with such statistics the power to weight ratio of the vehicle will throw many surrounding vehicles out of the competition. First in sight i can see is the Toyota innova with its measly 102 bhp, though Innova is an ace of its own.
Old 4th September 2012, 19:22   #162
BHPian

Found this link on YouTube that shows how the Quanto actually looks in motion!

vinair is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 19:32   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Does anyone else spot the body-roll or "dancing effect on braking" around the 40second mark?

To me the Quanto looks OK and grow on people like XYLO did, but the engine power/refinement and more importantly handling will be the key to me looking at it a serious contender.

Last edited by Zenster : 4th September 2012 at 19:43.
Old 5th September 2012, 00:01   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Thanks for that video.

To me it doesn't look all that bad and frankly I would be willing to overlook the boxyness, if it is not a boat (i.e dynamics have been taken care of) and it is the 100 Bhp engine we are talking about. Pricing however remains the key.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:07   #165
BHPian

Quanto to be launched on 20th September (Source: CNBC)
nikhil_d1106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed