Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2012, 21:46   #196
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

This one is looking quite tempting, with the right proportions and pricing (from all that we hear) and could quite well turn out to be a winner. Could move SUV aspirents to a lower price band and this would look more SUVish than the options like ertiga that are quite MUVish.

Will they get the ride and brakes sorted out as well? Should be easier with the shorter lenght on the same platform as the Xylo.
Old 9th September 2012, 22:00   #197
BHPian

Today I saw a Mahindra Quanto in flesh (not from very close). I felt images are not doing justice to the vehicle. Anyways we need to wait and see the pricing. Hope Quanto will be a hit..

Last edited by MaxTorque : 9th September 2012 at 22:01.
Old 9th September 2012, 22:33   #198
Senior - BHPian

Is it only me who thinks that the 'compact SUV' concept is being stretched a bit too far. I mean, how compact is compact?

To me, even an urban SUV ought to at least look like an SUV. I think the Duster is just about the right size to be called a compact SUV. If I am being generous then I'd say maybe the Ecosport (because of the butch looking proper SUV shape). Even that is a little too small to be called a proper SUV.

To me this 'mini Xylo Quanto' thingy looks like typical 'jugaad' stuff. And why couldn't they shorten the Scorpio? It would have atleast looked much better. Why did they choose the 'ugly ducking' Xylo? Having said that, at least this one looks better than its originator, Xylo, though!

Probable Chain of events@Mahindra:

Do a survey--> There is a market for compact SUV--> Do we have a product in the compact SUv thing?--> Nope, can we develop it then?--> Too time consuming and expensive--> Can we do some juggad then?--> We are Indians and juggad is our second language ( I mean this in a good way. We have a solution for everything. Right way or not)--> Jugaad solution ready in record time--> Let's milk the customers.

But I have to hand it over to Mahindra folks. They know exactly what the customers want and know how much will they be willing to fork for it. Product Management at its best.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 9th September 2012 at 22:35.
Old 9th September 2012, 23:29   #199
BHPian

what more is needed?as long as people get what they need, at a price they are willing to pay?There may be many other products, but, if they are out of reach of buyers and/or if they are within reach as far as pricing goes but not what people need then it remains only as a aspirational product and not a item to buy and use.
Mahindra is one company who give down to earth products at a down to earth price and other companys are only now realising where they have failed in that.The recent comment of Mr.Tata regarding how far Mahindra has reached and left behind Tata is proof enough.
srinivaspai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 23:30   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
....why couldn't they shorten the Scorpio? It would have atleast looked much better. Why did they choose the 'ugly ducking' Xylo? Having said that, at least this one looks better than its originator, Xylo, though!....
Scorpio is doing good numbers and bringing in volumes for Mahindra. But Xylo hasn't been doing good as we know. By selecting Xylo under the knife, they have an efficient solution to bring in more ROI. That should be the reason why they opted for Xylo than Scorpio for this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
....But I have to hand it over to Mahindra folks. They know exactly what the customers want and know how much will they be willing to fork for it. Product Management at its best.
True. They taught how one product can change the perception of a brand.
Old 10th September 2012, 01:29   #201
BHPian

Wow..
Side quarter-Rear shot, One of the best looking one(as can be seen in the middle pic above).
& Spare-wheel on Tailgate, really makes it a hot looker.

I guess this car will seriously undercut the Duster & can play spoilsport in the Duster's Booking-Waiting period-Delivery game.
Old 10th September 2012, 13:17   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivaspai View Post
what more is needed?as long as people get what they need, at a price they are willing to pay?There may be many other products, but, if they are out of reach of buyers and/or if they are within reach as far as pricing goes but not what people need then it remains only as a aspirational product and not a item to buy and use.
Mahindra is one company who give down to earth products at a down to earth price and other companys are only now realising where they have failed in that.The recent comment of Mr.Tata regarding how far Mahindra has reached and left behind Tata is proof enough.
Tata's need to think quick and act fast, however they are too slow to act. The only creative thing they did was t introduce indigo cs and haven't done anything after that. At this rate they will lose sales fast. We have heard a lot about Manza CS but nothing has come out so far. Manza CS would be perfect to boost sales as many customers think manza is just too long and with reduced excise it will work out cheaper too. There could even be a small SUV on Vista platform.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:12   #203
BHPian

Friends,

What do you think of a 3-cyl diesel, honestly?
Old 10th September 2012, 14:17   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINUMON View Post
Friends,

It's completely unknown territory for each one of us. This is Mahindra's first such attempt and its impossible to speculate without a full blown TD. I have a feeling (after their recent engine efforts) that Mahindra is getting better and better in this department.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 10th September 2012 at 14:21.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 15:28   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Will be interesting to see the effect on the mania for the Duster, Ertiga and DZire (less so). In my opinion, while Swift bookings may stay immune, all the others have a USP of spaciousness (rear seat) as well as a boot.

If M&M have solved the wallowy ride fears of the Quanto AND get the pricing right, there may well be considerable cross-shopping in favour of the Quanto. Already, Ertiga LDI is almost off-the-shelf in Bangalore! This was unthinkable barely 3 months ago.
Old 10th September 2012, 15:41   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINUMON View Post
Friends,

It's too early to comment on it. I guess I read that Quanto launch was delayed because the top management was NOT happy with the NVH levels and the team was asked to re-work on making it better.

So I hope this is good. I don't think Beat D is bad from a NVH perspective in-spite of being a 3 cylinder.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 16:39   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme

Already, Ertiga LDI is almost off-the-shelf in Bangalore! This was unthinkable barely 3 months ago.
No, actually the Ldi and Lxi variants were readily available off the shelf since the time of launch. MSIL mis-projected their demand and produced huge batches of Ldi and Vdi variants. There are no takers for the lowest variant as there are no creature comforts like rear AC, power windows etc.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 10th September 2012 at 16:41.
Old 11th September 2012, 22:11   #208
BHPian

I checked with Sireesh motors today, the executive there seems to have no clue about the impending launch! A little surprising, I felt. Either they genuinely don't know (because mahindra has not informed them) OR they don't want to disclose anything about this to anybody.

Waiting eagerly for this - have been waiting for quite some time Hopefully it will be worth the wait and this turns out to be a good car
Old 11th September 2012, 22:34   #209
BHPian

Just a few minutes back Joyneel Mukherjee of overdrive/CNBC awaaz announced that mahindra quanto will be launched at Rs 4.75 lacs and it will be a 65 bhp 5 seater variant.
They have been running the the pricing and the launch date of 2oth dec since evening.

I don't know what to believe, 100 bhp variant or 65 bhp variant, 5 seater or 7 seater or both!
Old 11th September 2012, 22:44   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
Just a few minutes back Joyneel Mukherjee of overdrive/CNBC awaaz announced that mahindra quanto will be launched at Rs 4.75 lacs and it will be a 65 bhp 5 seater variant.
They have been running the the pricing and the launch date of 2oth dec since evening.

I don't know what to believe, 100 bhp variant or 65 bhp variant, 5 seater or 7 seater or both!
I guess it's only overdrive that's speaking of a 65 bhp engine. Btw I guess you meant 20th September. However 4.75 lakhs looks tempting but that said I would not want put my money on a 65 bhp engine. The Xylo weighs 1.8 tonnes. How much weight reduction would have mahindra managed here? It would be grossly underpowered IMO.

Last edited by vibbs : 11th September 2012 at 22:48.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed