Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 23:44   #211
BHPian

re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

yeah, I meant 20th sep only! I think quanto is around 1300-1400 kgs , torque figures were not disclosed, when 2.2 litre is 12 bhp, 3 cylinder version can atleast be 80 bhp, let's wait for 20th sep to find out the exact specs.
Old 12th September 2012, 08:10   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
it will be a 65 bhp 5 seater variant.
I don't know what to believe, 100 bhp variant or 65 bhp variant, 5 seater or 7 seater or both!

The Chevy Beat Diesel has a 58.5 BHP engine capable of 150 Nm Torque (see link below).

So the possibility of a 65 BHP option with around 175 to 200 Nm torque looks very probable in the Quanto, for the 5 seater version, at least.

In which case a launch / shock pricing of sub 5 lakhs for the base variant of the 65 BHP, 5 seater version looks quite possible.

http://www.chevrolet.co.in/vehicles/...echnology.html

Last edited by mooza : 12th September 2012 at 08:12.
Old 12th September 2012, 10:51   #213
BHPian

From the BSM report:

Under the hood is a twin-turbocharged/twin-scroll turbocharged, 1.5-litre, 3-cylinder diesel engine that finds its roots in the larger 2.2-litre mHawk. The smallest of its kind in the country, if not the world, this new engine boasts of an all-aluminium construction, is BS V ready and according to some, can also be made BS-VI compliant with a few tweaks. The engine uses a double-overhead camshaft setup with a Bosch-developed common-rail that is built to a cost.

What's impressive is that the engine weighs just 185 kg, some 65 kg less than the mDiCRDe block that powers the Xylo D2. The power ratings are quite good - 100 bhp@3750 rpm and nearly 24.3 kgm of peak torque from 1600 rpm to 2800 rpm. Mated to a five-speed manual, it makes it more powerful than some of its competition, including the 85 bhp version of the 1461cc powered Renault Duster and the Premier Rio Multijet that produces 72 bhp. The motor itself is slightly more squarer than the 2.5 mDiCRDe and on paper it seems quite torquey, given the 2.5 produces just 22.2 kgm. How Mahindra have improved NVH is not known considering it's a three-cylinder motor.

http://bsmotoring.com/storypage.php?autono=5661

Thanks,

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I guess it's only overdrive that's speaking of a 65 bhp engine. Btw I guess you meant 20th September. However 4.75 lakhs looks tempting but that said I would not want put my money on a 65 bhp engine. The Xylo weighs 1.8 tonnes. How much weight reduction would have mahindra managed here? It would be grossly underpowered IMO.
pradkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 11:31   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
From the BSM report:
The power ratings are quite good - 100 bhp@3750 rpm and nearly 24.3 kgm of peak torque from 1600 rpm to 2800 rpm
This engine could be for the 7 seater version of the Quanto. For the 5 seater / lower end base variant, it's quite possible that a 65 BHP engine will be used, IMO.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see the truth which will be out in a week
Old 12th September 2012, 15:26   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
I checked with Sireesh motors today, the executive there seems to have no clue about the impending launch! A little surprising, I felt. Either they genuinely don't know (because mahindra has not informed them) OR they don't want to disclose anything about this to anybody.

Waiting eagerly for this - have been waiting for quite some time Hopefully it will be worth the wait and this turns out to be a good car
Here is better reply from the email I sent to the customer care team:

Dear Sir,

Greetings from Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.

Thank you for your enquiry, we much appreciate your interest in our product. However, with regards to your query, we regret we would be unable to share any information on new product introductions in advance for competitive reasons.

We will keep all our customers and prospective buyers posted about new launches through formal announcements closer to launch dates.

Thanks & Regards,

P**** K*******
Customer Care-Automotive Division
022-**** ****
Old 12th September 2012, 17:21   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Here is better reply from the email I sent to the customer care team:
Yes. This kind of response is definitely much better and will be better appreciated. I expect that the dealers don't want to share this info till the launch is completed.
Old 12th September 2012, 21:04   #217
BHPian

Just now coming back from mahindra showroom, some inside info

Had visited mahindra service centre along with my friend whose scropio was getting serviced. Was chatting with the service engineer and was lucky
to chat with an engineer who was a part of the team which is currently getting trained on Quanto. Though some direct questions were evaded, some points which have emerged:

* the models are named c2,c4,c6, c8

* Highest end model comes with ABS & dual airbags (front only)

- all 5 alloy wheel
- Digital assist system, etc.

* Seating is quite spacious - the second row is fixed ie, cannot be folded, no 60:40 or full folding -

* dimension is on the borderline - just little short of 4m (without the spare wheel)

* All std xylo colours, though in all variants all the colours may not be available

* Last row is only for kids ; there is a provision for pet lock or something - (not sure what is the use of this!)

* no roof a/c, but a.c is good it seems;

* the gear / clutch is v.v.smooth - smoother than any mahindra vehicle till date

* no dead-clutch

* Mileage on highways should be abt 20, in city about 14kml

* only one engine (no 65bhp versions), though different tunings may be there

* no petrol version (As is currently told in some mags)

* Can hardly hear the sound inside the cabin

* NVH is ok --> definition of ok seems to be a bit hazy

* the sales staff are strictly warned NOT to call it with mini-xylo or compare it with xylo. (they will be sacked if this is violated)

* launch will be on 19/20/21, and TD vehicle should be avaiable after 10-15 days

* Should get delivery by Nov/Dec

* million dollar question, pricing, was a bit evasive, but when pressed, mentioned that the highest end variant OTR in blr should be around 8.5L or so
haria is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 22:30   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Just now coming back from mahindra showroom, some inside info

* million dollar question, pricing, was a bit evasive, but when pressed, mentioned that the highest end variant OTR in blr should be around 8.5L or so
Isnt 8.5 Lacs a bit too much? That means it will cost about 8 Lacs OTR in mumbai.

Agreed, it is still lesser than Swift, Punto and i20 which wont have as much space and power, but then ideally M&M should price the Quanto atleast a Lac lesser than the above mentioned hatchbacks to give it a real advantage.

IMHO, they should have incorporated a dead pedal and rear AC vents.
Old 12th September 2012, 22:41   #219
Senior - BHPian

Wrong time to launch anything in the market. Look at the economic data, sales of vehicles, consumer durables, electronics, flats everything has slowed down to a crawl. IT companies have announced they would not be making huge payhikes this year. Any vehicle launched this year and which doesnot sell well, will continue to sell badly when the econonmy does improve, due to public perception.

I guess most of the players would wait until atleast next quarter to launch anything new.
Old 13th September 2012, 10:50   #220
BHPian

In my opinion, M&M Quanto is well set to redefine the charts in this segment, quite similar to what XUV did north of 10Lakhs. I believe the market is moving from perceived "Luxury" to "Value for Money" & Quanto fits the bill comfortably.

Even if the personal car owners take it slow due to the market sluggishness, the taxi segment will surely lap this up.

Surely, M&M has another 'potential' winner on hand.
Old 13th September 2012, 11:43   #221
BHPian

got a call from a dealer in chennai. (i had enquired about quanto earlier)
the dealers have started sharing some information to customers
the details i got are

1.5 litre engine mcr100
100ps@4000rpm
240nm@1600rpm
twin stage turbo
rear wheel drive
7seater
microhybrid technology
arai mileage 17kmpl
variants - c2 c4 c6 c8
higher end variants will come with -dual airbags,alloys, abs
prebooking to start shortly
launch on 20th
TD vehicle expected around lunch date
price 7-8 lakhs OTR

Last edited by ad75 : 13th September 2012 at 11:57. Reason: added pricing
ad75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 12:14   #222
Senior - BHPian

INR 8.5 OTR Bangy is far fetched IMO. However, Mahindra are more apt at the shock pricing strategy, & this could be the introductory pricing for the initial lot Guinea Pigs ( for the derogatory & crude term for few faithful customers & more poseurs).
Old 13th September 2012, 12:23   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Wrong time to launch anything in the market. Look at the economic data, sales of vehicles, consumer durables, electronics, flats everything has slowed down to a crawl. IT companies have announced they would not be making huge payhikes this year. Any vehicle launched this year and which doesnot sell well, will continue to sell badly when the econonmy does improve, due to public perception.

I guess most of the players would wait until atleast next quarter to launch anything new.
What you said is true but only partially. If the product is right, any time is right. Esp. in the Indian context and this segment particularly. There are not enough options at enough price points. And look at GTO's reports on sales numbers for last few months. We clearly see a shift in preference from Sedans to UVs.
So you are right, the sales are down but people are still buying! And Mahindra will hope to get these people into their showrooms. Guess our theories are all on paper until sales figures come in.
Old 13th September 2012, 12:44   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
What you said is true but only partially. If the product is right, any time is right. Esp. in the Indian context and this segment particularly. There are not enough options at enough price points. And look at GTO's reports on sales numbers for last few months. We clearly see a shift in preference from Sedans to UVs.
So you are right, the sales are down but people are still buying! And Mahindra will hope to get these people into their showrooms. Guess our theories are all on paper until sales figures come in.
Agree with you. Sales might be down, but Ertiga is selling like hot cake and so is Duster. XUV still has its share of buyers.
What Mahindra is hoping for is market share and it can surely gain some since the people want UV and Mahindra is afterall country's top UV maker.

Anything above 9 OTR will not work as they already have Xylo. Price below 9 for top end looks reasonable i feel.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 13th September 2012 at 13:05.
Old 13th September 2012, 13:02   #225
Senior - BHPian

While it may not be a shock pricing, 8.5 OTR (bangalore)isn't too overpriced too I guess. It would mean a sub 8 lakhs OTR in Delhi. How many 100 Bhp cars with ABS and airbags can be had at that price? Quanto looks to be decently sized too, if not overtly spacious. I guess if Mahindra manages to hit the sweet spot in terms of quality of interiors and the ride comfort, the pricing may suddenly look like having hit the sweet spot too.
That said it is a thin rope IMO. Anything above what is being speculated it may end up being classified as overpriced.

Last edited by vibbs : 13th September 2012 at 13:03. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks