Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2012, 13:34   #226
BHPian

re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

Compare to Ertiga, with similar price, Xylo offers more power, space and features, but sales numbers (Aug 2012) for Ertiga are almost three times.

Looking at this, these kind of pricing (8.5 OTR Bangalore etc. ) appears to be on higher side.

Let’s wait for one more week.
Old 13th September 2012, 14:08   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Compare to Ertiga, with similar price, Xylo offers more power, space and features, but sales numbers (Aug 2012) for Ertiga are almost three times.
Ertiga top end is 9.5 Lakh OTR Delhi as per autocar print magazine that I have in my hand now and Xylo top end is 12.5 Lakhs. That is a difference of 3 lakhs.

That said, Xylo is a full sized MUV (in Indian context) and that has its own disadvantages and advantages too as compared to Ertiga which is much more car like to live with. We may if we like compare Quanto with Ertiga as both are compact UVs, the quanto being more compact.

Coming to pricing, even if we compare Quanto with UVs, the only other diesel UV that comes at this price point (not considering Rio and likes) is the Ertiga Ldi (with 88 bhp and 200 Nm torque), Scorpio base (128 BHP and 280 Nm torque) Bolero (63 Bhp and 198 Nm) Duster RXe diesel (84 bhp and 200 Nm) etc.
Now all these UVs may have more space than Quanto, but except the bolero it is the base version of others that is competing with the quanto top end on price that too some are around a lakh more expensive on road.

I think that should be a good head start.

Comparing with hatchbacks, there would still be a lot of customers who would prefer the comfort and refinement of a premium hatch over this UV but at this price, it has a significant performance headstart against them. So if Mahindra has managed to keep the interiors good enough and have sorted out the ride characteristics, the Quanto should do well even at this not so shocking pricing. And although comparisons with hatchback are not really apt, they are bound to happen IMO due to the similar price points they exist in.

Last edited by vibbs : 13th September 2012 at 14:09.
Old 13th September 2012, 17:14   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
No Auto version in the near future. Mahindra is looking out for a vendor for autoboxes for Their XUVs and Scorpios.

If at all they plan to bring in autoboxes in Quanto, it is at least 2.5 years away.
That's quite a dampner. We had a recent Mahindra Xylo and Scorpio roadshow at the apartments I stay and I liked the spacing in the Xylo. I was genuinely surprised that they didn't have an automatic variant in it while Scorpio had one. I understand the reason now. Am a bit disappointed.

Also, in the micro-mini test drive I did around the apartment complex, I found that when seated in the driver seat, Xylo was quite spacious whereas my right hand elbow was constantly scraping against the Scorpio door. I'm heavily built, but even my Swift Dzire now or Indica earlier didn't have such a "space problem". I had earlier observed the same issue when I took out Bolero for a test drive ages ago. Is it just me, is it a known problem with Scorpio/Bolero? Is it just a question of getting used to?
Old 13th September 2012, 17:41   #229
BHPian

8.5OTR is sad because I can get a full sized Xylo E4 ABS for 9.2L OTR in Kerala..

I wish the price was somewhere in the range of 7-7.5L OTR.

I like the last row seats because I would be using it only occasionally and otherwise it is a mini suv only.

Waiting to see it in flesh.
Old 13th September 2012, 18:05   #230
BHPian

I am suddenly seeing offers on WagonR. So, is that the car that Quanto will eat into?
Old 13th September 2012, 19:01   #231
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
I am suddenly seeing offers on WagonR. So, is that the car that Quanto will eat into?
There will be some hit to WR, but only minimal, imo. The images of both these vehicles are very very different. Even though a cut priced, cut length model and named differently, it will be very difficult for Quanto to come out of the Xylo image. Quanto is essentially a uv, just like Xylo and Bolero. The main losers will be Xylo itself and bolero, imo.

I predict a monthly sales figure of 5K for Quanto.
Old 13th September 2012, 19:26   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
There will be some hit to WR, but only minimal, imo. The images of both these vehicles are very very different. Even though a cut priced, cut length model and named differently, it will be very difficult for Quanto to come out of the Xylo image. Quanto is essentially a uv, just like Xylo and Bolero. The main losers will be Xylo itself and bolero, imo.

I predict a monthly sales figure of 5K for Quanto.
I beg to differ here, monthly sales target is fine, but what it will eat into is most of the hatchbacks (Diesel) for sure, and some sedans. Look at what duster has achieved at 10 lakhs plus OTR. The way it looks this will be a sub 8 Lakhs OTR and if it is below that lot of hatchbacks will take a hit. I predict a far bigger queue for this than the XUV 500 and Duster.

Last edited by ranc : 13th September 2012 at 19:27.
Old 13th September 2012, 21:09   #233
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Look at what duster has achieved at 10 lakhs plus OTR. The way it looks this will be a sub 8 Lakhs OTR and if it is below that lot of hatchbacks will take a hit.
But Duster has a very refined look than Xylo / Quanto, and has a very definitive SUV factor associated to it. The Xylo-Quanto twins lack it, and has a very utilitarian feel. And we have to note the fact that Xylo sells only around 2K monthly, even at a price far lesser than Innova.
Old 13th September 2012, 21:46   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
8.5OTR is sad because I can get a full sized Xylo E4 ABS for 9.2L OTR in Kerala...
I believe the indication of 8.5L OTR was more in Bangy. Kerala OTR should be much lesser I guess - may be 7.5L tops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
Don't think its because of Quanto. Wagon R has been having discounts ranging from 25K or so, especially during the festive season. I guess this season it has hit the highest discounts rates, 45K (?).
Old 13th September 2012, 22:15   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
microhybrid technology
is Mahindra the only auto manufacturer that calls start/stop system as micro hybrid? Since India don't have any real hybrid vehicles, Mahindra can call it hybrid for now!
Old 13th September 2012, 22:29   #236
BHPian

Now the CNBC is running a ticker that mahindra wants to introduce petrol engines and says they are necessary for the small SUVs!
Old 14th September 2012, 04:57   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
Now the CNBC is running a ticker that mahindra wants to introduce petrol engines and says they are necessary for the small SUVs!
With their global ambitions, probably Mahindra need a petrol engine for markets outside India. Also if Diesel price in India go up, it will make sense to have a petrol engine too. Mahindra wants to be in every sector of the automotive industry, so they can not totally ignore petrol engines.
Old 14th September 2012, 08:00   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
With their global ambitions, probably Mahindra need a petrol engine for markets outside India. Also if Diesel price in India go up, it will make sense to have a petrol engine too. Mahindra wants to be in every sector of the automotive industry, so they can not totally ignore petrol engines.
You said it & the diesel prices have already been increased by Rs 5/-. It would be interesting to see if this has any effect on M&M's monthly numbers, as they have only diesel engines in their portfolio currently. This has given me a boost to look at the Ecosport & Ecoboost with renewed vigour.
Old 14th September 2012, 11:16   #239
BHPian

well a compact petrol SUV by Maruti at Rs 5.5 lac would sell if it has good FE , say with K12 engine with bumped up FE like in Dzire petrol. Many people would prefer it over Dzire or other budget petrol sedans!
Old 14th September 2012, 11:56   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
...* the sales staff are strictly warned NOT to call it with mini-xylo or compare it with xylo. (they will be sacked if this is violated)
The comparison is inevitable! How much ever they try to position it away from Xylo, it will not help! They could have avoided this by a fresh face for Quanto. Now with the face looking exactly the same, how do they expect the customers NOT to call it a mini-Xylo?! There also has more than enough coverage in media so far with the intro "mini Xylo"! I am sure going forth, one fav line for the media with respect to this car will be "this is a baby Xylo" or "this is a shortened Xylo" or "this is the so called mini Xylo" etc! All this will point back to it's origination from Xylo!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th September 2012 at 11:58.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed