Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

A nice scoop this. The price point and the value seems to be truly mouth watering. One potential downer could be the 3 pot mill derived from the m-Hawks that could be coarse and jerky. Have to wait and see one on the road.

Instead of this they could have plonked the dCi 1.5 that does the duty on the Verito. If they needed the bump in power, it could have used the version that of the Sunny / Duster with 85BHP on tap. These motors are proven and refined mills that are 4 pots too and would have also mated with the Quanto's requirement. This way they could have offered 2 versions the lower end with 65 and the other with 85 BHP to cover more market segments. However the big question is if Renault would be ready to share the other tunes of the engine.

Also from the Autocar scoop pics, the first pic looks like it dons the current Xylo front rather than the older one. Bring it on M&M.

Last edited by girishglg : 22nd August 2012 at 12:23.
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

7 seater? I still consider it stupid to count the 2 jump seats for the seat count.
But then, M&M has their own logic. If they pop in 2 more seats like they've done, the Quanto can be registered as Taxi.
In the bargain, M&M can get away with Lower emmision norms.
That is some Tom Foolery.
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:25   #33
BHPian

Source: Autocar India
Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-autocarindiaminixylospypics01.jpg
Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-autocarindiaminixylospypics02.jpg
Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-autocarindiaminixylospypics03.jpg
chinmaybaikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

What a pricing strategy!!! It does look good, like those Rav 4. Short & sweet. Wish they could work on those head lamps as well.

1.5L engine and sub-4m is a good point that should have helped M&M to get this pricing. Atleast, they are passing the benefits. Wait, May be it is the introductory prices?

Anyway, Ertiga may have a competition now.
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

It sure was a long wait! Mini xylo has been doing rounds since more than past 1 year. Quanto is a cool name, and car looks great too. Don't know why some of you feel it looks cartoony. In fact the sitting position in xylo is very good, and gives great view of the road. I hope same is continued in Quanto.

Autocar picture gives a very good idea of the car:

Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-quanto.jpg
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
That's a nice scoop. The prices are aggressive. Is the wheel base the same as Xylo or smaller?

I travelled in a Xylo last week from Chandigarh to Amritsar, and I am sure I will never travel again in one. It travels like a boat with sideways movement even on flat roads at speeds on 50-60Kmph. I believe if the wheel base is shorter, then the boat like ride will only get accentuated with the height being the same.
I just had to travel in company's Innova twice today. Feeling queasy now. I wonder how people manage to sit in the rear seats of these boats !
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:53   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
It sure was a long wait! Mini xylo has been doing rounds since more than past 1 year. Quanto is a cool name, and car looks great too. Don't know why some of you feel it looks cartoony. In fact the sitting position in xylo is very good, and gives great view of the road. I hope same is continued in Quanto.

Autocar picture gives a very good idea of the car:
From this pic/angle, it looks a little shorter than the xylo. Looks like its wearing 14/15 inch wheels. Whom do they presume to fit in the third row? looks good for kids at best.
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Excellent scoop pics! But personally, the last quarter of the car could have been better designed. It looks like Wagon R on steroids.

But kudos to Mahindra and I believe it will be a success if they price it right. 5L sounds too lucrative! Hatchbacks are in for a shocker.
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:29   #39
BHPian

Thanks for sharing GTO, I think it will be a killer killer killer product at a 5 lakh price

This one looks way better than Xylo and has trusted mechanicals. Considering the bigger Xylo gets a 108 bhp engine, 100 odd on this one will give it good performance, and fuel efficiency will also be acceptable, around 13-14 kmpl.

I am a bit worried about the packaging though, if it is below 4 mts....will there be enough usable legroom for 7 people or the last row is just for show? Since there is zero luggage space, they just need to be smart here and offer 60-40 foldable split seats on both rows of seats (I am assuming even the third row seats will be front facing)

Just when Maruti and Renault thought they had pulled out a pricing coupe, Mahindra comes out guns blazing.
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Last Sunday I drove to Pune and back. In the morning at around 11.30AM just before Khandala this thing was on the road. Maybe the same car. Temp no was MH-15.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-mah01.jpg  

Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-mah02.jpg  

Old 22nd August 2012, 13:55   #41
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the Scoop!

Can't imagin how they have managed to get that third row in there.

And how refined 1.5 ltr, 3 cylinder will be.

IMO, with reduced length it will handle better.

None the less, M&M knows the pulse of Indian MUV/SUV market & I am sure it will succeed for VFM it will offer.
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Good to see Mahindra not resorting to moronic cost cutting and giving the spare wheel as an alloy. i sincerely hope this car succeeds and gives some premium hatchbacks a run for their money.
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

Many Thanks GTO. Quanto has the potential to take off from where Ertiga left. If they manage to price the base closer to 5 lakhs, this may really shake up the hatchback+entry level sedan segment. A 100 Bhp diesel at that price!! Only thing holding it back would be the dynamics.
How well has Mahindra managed to keep the body roll down. Xylo is not really known for its on road behavior, this one being a shortened version of it, may roll even more. If Mahindra has managed to keep that in check, we have a winner here.

Last row is just eye candy. Not of any real importance as far as I am concerned. I have begun to feel that the last row of these compromised seven seaters are simply not worth from the safety point of view to be even considered, so if the Quanto ever makes it to my garage, the Third row would be permanently tied up. But then that's just my opinion. People may just love the prospect of a seven seater diesel at that price.

It would be interesting to see if Mahindra provides safety features across the models. A compact UV running on diesel costing OTR for 8 lakhs with ABS airbags etc may just be what the doctor ordered for me. Waiting eagerly for the official report to see how sorted is the ride and handling.

As somebody before comented, I really feel its finally Mahindra thats giving us Indian what we need at the right price. First the XUV 5OO and now the Quanto

Last edited by vibbs : 22nd August 2012 at 14:42.
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:39   #44
BANNED

Thanks GTO for the info!

The Xylo itself looks imbalanced. I don't know how this one will look in flesh.
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

The Quanto is out on all Automags & Auto websites & how. After the Autocar, this one from Motorbash.com. Good to see that they have acknowledged the source of the Quanto.

http://motorbash.com/mega-scoop-first-undisguised-pics-of-mahindra-mini-xylo-quanto-is-the-name/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campai gn=Feed%3A+Motorbash+%28MotorBash%2CFind+everythin g+related+to+rolling+wheels+here..!%29

Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-quanto-motorbash.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed