Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 18:08   #46
AVR
BHPian

re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

I always thought the Xylo was amongst the ugliest vehicles on Indian roads. Today I stand corrected. Quanto is the new Xylo.

Looks odd to begin with. The spare tire almost looks like an afterthought on the design. But then afterthoughts are sort of a MM trademark I feel at times.

But I know that MM understands the market well and customers will buy this one for sure as MM will make it worth the money as VFM is also their forte. Well at least it won't be a dud like a Tata Aria for sure!

The 7-seater part looks ambitious to say the least. Unless MM plans on spreading the love around by having people sitting in other people's laps!
AVR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 18:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Will this have rear AC vents?

Quanto will launch on September 15th according to a Mahindra's employee.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:38   #48
BHPian

The last picture looks promising and I agree that a 3 pot mhawk would have a question mark on refinement.
BUT
IMHO, this should definitely be a success in non-metro India. I think M&M is following the Bolero strategy.
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:43   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

This vehicle promises to be a giant killer. However, on the aesthetics front, I cant help but be reminded of a pug after seeing the Quanto's side profile!
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

I think the Quanto looks OK, nothing much to complain about, although I'm not a big fan of the spare wheel on the hatch door.

To my prejudiced mind, this is a shortened van and not a "car". Again, the spare wheel on the hatch door somehow reinforces the feeling.

I'm not sure what is the value proposition this one brings to the market over other similarly-priced hatchbacks. Maybe bit more space? Tall-boy looks and bit more headroom? It's probably not going to out-do other premium hatchbacks in features like the XUV has done against its competitors.
I think it's too soon to predict if this will be a success for Mahindra, even with the rumoured shock pricing.
Old 22nd August 2012, 23:24   #51
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the final pictures of the vehicle, I feel sorry for Premier! Rio is such a beautiful vehicle in front of this and is still not selling!
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 00:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
If they needed the bump in power, it could have used the version that of the Sunny / Duster with 85BHP on tap. These motors are proven and refined mills that are 4 pots too and would have also mated with the Quanto's requirement.
I am not sure M&M have any claims over any Renault engines other than what is running in the Verito.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
I always thought the Xylo was amongst the ugliest vehicles on Indian roads. Today I stand corrected. Quanto is the new Xylo.
Who cares about looks and aesthetics ? If it is a diesel and if it can carry people, we will buy, that is India and M&M also knows that, which is why they tried to squeeze in a couple of jump seats at the half a foot rear and said it was a 7 seater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Will this have rear AC vents?
Yes, even for the sixth, seventh and tenth passengers, thanks for asking.
esteem_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:42   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
High Points

• Length is less than 4 meters - without the spare wheel - thus, the mini-Xylo falls in the lower 12% excise slab. India's first <4 meter MUV.
GTO,
I search everywhere but could not find this information at all, and i think it adds great value to the discussion.

What is the original length of the Xylo and what the new length of Quanto,
The reduction in length is compromised only in third row ?

Old 23rd August 2012, 09:16   #54
BHPian

Would it be a good idea to sell my 2009 Indica Vista TDi and get the Quanto (pre-launch in 20 days based on thread info.)?

My requirement is 5 people space, decent FE and safe vehicle.

what say guys?

Last edited by skartik2 : 23rd August 2012 at 09:18.
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:21   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I am not sure M&M have any claims over any Renault engines other than what is running in the Verito.
Exactly. Renault has licensed the dCi for use in Verito only.

Secondly, AFAIK this Quanto is a RWD with longitudinal mounting of engine. dCi has been designed for FWD cars with transverse mounting.
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:21   #56
BANNED

PRICING is gonna hold the key to success/failure of the Quanto.

From the pics posted by GTO, the gear throw seems to be a bit too long and the M&M machines have been famous for their vague throws as well, so I'll not be surprised if the Quanto offers the same.

M&M could have changed the dashboard design a bit to give the Quanto a bit more asthetic sense, the air con vents, the steering looks the same as on the Xylo. Quality on the interiors, I would assume to be of the same levels as the Xylo

3-cylinder, would be noisy for sure.

If the pricing be good, the Quanto could be a good option for someone graduating from a Santro/Wagon R, if priced closed to 7+ for the base (which I don't think would be the case, looking at the Xylo and XUV pricing), it'll be hard to find buyers.

Thanks GTO for the pics and an insight on the Quanto.

Happy Motoring !!

Last edited by Torquedo : 23rd August 2012 at 09:23.
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:06   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
Would it be a good idea to sell my 2009 Indica Vista TDi and get the Quanto (pre-launch in 20 days based on thread info.)?

My requirement is 5 people space, decent FE and safe vehicle.

what say guys?
Please don't do this. IMO it would a step backward. If you don't particularly need the SUV, go for a good sedan for your needs, or else consider the Ertiga or Duster.
After spoiling us with XUV's interiors and dashboard, Quanto's dashboard and gear looks spartan. I know pricing would have been a major factor, but aesthetically it is not appealing to me.

EDIT: I kept this out of my post, but on afterthought I should rather add it. " Quanto looks like a Xylo dwarf to me".

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 23rd August 2012 at 10:11.
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:01   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
PRICING is gonna hold the key to success/failure of the Quanto.

If the pricing be good, the Quanto could be a good option for someone graduating from a Santro/Wagon R, if priced closed to 7+ for the base (which I don't think would be the case, looking at the Xylo and XUV pricing), it'll be hard to find buyers.

Thanks GTO for the pics and an insight on the Quanto.

Happy Motoring !!

I dont think the base is going to touch 7 lakhs. As per Mahindra xylo website, the base model starts off at 7.5 lakhs ex showroom delhi. With so much less space and a smaller engine which inturn means less duties, I feel Mahindra will atleast keep a 2L difference between respective variants of Xylo and Quanto. Which means an ex-showroom price of around 5.5 Lakhs in Delhi.

I expect it to be between 5.5Lakhs to 6lakhs. But there were initial reports that suggested a 4.5 to 5 lakh base variant prices. That I think would be game changing, depending of course on other factors. If they manage to keep the vehicle even Ok in most counts, a 4.5 lakh price tag and a 100 bhp diesel itself could clinch the game for them. However 4.5-5 looks too far fetched. As I said, 5.5-6 lakhs for the base seems more likely to me. Anything above that, it would have trouble justifying the price IMO.
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:29   #59
BHPian

a basic trim level for the taxi market at anything around 5 lakhs wud be a killer price and wud bring in the volumes.
However, M&M would be more interested in clinching the private car owners with this product. in that case, a fully loaded variant at anything around 6.5-7 lakhs would be a good pricing.
The question is, will M&M maanage to balance both? the image factor might just be a deciding one, ala Indica.
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:42   #60
BHPian

After using xylo for nearly 4 years and clocking 90K kms, the maintenance is pretty expensive. I shell around an average of 5K every 5000 service. Are Mahindra vehicles expensive to maintain. What are other owner's feedback. Mini xylo looks promising but worried about maintenance costs.
ameaa is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed