Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2012, 03:18   #76
BHPian

re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

Lovely Scoop GTO, thanks.
This is gonna be a sure shot winner, had been looking for a swift Vdi replacement and my hopes were pinned on the Ecosport, but I doubt it will be able to match the price and comfort that the Quanto will offer.
Yes the Quanto will not be a great handler but it should offer excellent seating comfort in the first 2 rows, the third row can be left at home. I don't mean to brag but I manage decent cruising speeds and make the occasional 3rd row passengers in my Scorpio feel at ease, so this should be easy. As a mile cruncher who loves to drive for hours, the hot hatches and sedans don't cut it for me when it comes to long drive comfort. Yes the swift is immensly more fun to drive and I love the way it hits 120 (self imposed speed limit). However when I drive the Scorpio from Mumbai to Bangalore I am still energetic and have taken everyone for ice cream post dinner. Doing the same in a swift just leaves me yearning for a bed, post dinner.
If the autocar image is anything to go by this looks a lot better than the Xylo. I just hope that they use the front of the new Xylo to make it a lot more better looking than the images in GTO's post.
Old 24th August 2012, 04:34   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_L View Post
After closely following three threads, mini xylo i.e. now 'Quanto' - sound better than xylo IMO - Duster and Ecosport I am feeling like only Quanto will provide us the cheapest option (out of the three).
The ugliest option as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_L View Post
after so much of praise of Quanto I will be definitely looking for two aspects in GTO's extensive review, firstly about the handling where it seems that Duster has set a benchmark - difficult to be achieve by home grown UV's - and the reliability - niggling issues - of the vehicle.
If Duster has set a benchmark for handling, Ford might give you a better engine and reliability in Ecosport (well, we will have to wait for it to launch though). So I don't think M&M is going to beat Duster & Ecosport with any of the above two aspects mentioned.

But when we look at Indian market, most of the buyers looks for VFM or rather cheapest car with a lot of options, this might end up being another topper in sales count.

r-six
Old 24th August 2012, 07:29   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
The ugliest option as well.

If Duster has set a benchmark for handling, Ford might give you a better engine and reliability in Ecosport (well, we will have to wait for it to launch though). So I don't think M&M is going to beat Duster & Ecosport with any of the above two aspects mentioned.

r-six
Going by Ford's standards, Ecosport will be more fun to drive than the duster. Ride is where Duster is tops. Compared to other SUVs (scorpio, Safari) yes, the duster's handling is way better, but its nothing exceptional.
Old 24th August 2012, 10:22   #79
BHPian

Looks like the XUV met the Wagon R somewhere and ...U know the Delly Belly Dialogue ! Neverthless value for money is what I see.

Interestingly there is a similar looking vehicle in China. The Volkswagen Crossgolf. Comes with the rear tyre on the back like an SUV. It was surely the smallest Crossover which I have ever come across.

Mahindra is going all out on the vehicles.. With the Quanto, Ssangyong Rexton, new Reva, supposed Verito hatchback.

Wonder when will the Bolero 4x4, Thar with a Hard Top come out.
Old 24th August 2012, 10:35   #80
BHPian

Nice effort by mahindra to enter in to hatchback waters.

If its priced right then tatas have to worry.

Why cant mahindra put some R&D in to bolero and improve it, rather than just cosmetic updates?

Lets wait and watch what quanto does to mahindra?
Old 24th August 2012, 10:43   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINMAKER View Post

Interestingly there is a similar looking vehicle in China. The Volkswagen Crossgolf. Comes with the rear tyre on the back like an SUV. It was surely the smallest Crossover which I have ever come across.
The CrossGolf is nothing but a SUVish Golf Plus which is nothing but a taller Golf.
So, you see, these are derived from Hatchbacks.
The Quanto is derived from a MPV/MUV. End result seems close though.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:13   #82
Senior - BHPian

I am sure that with this car in market Mahindra will aim for No 2 position in the market. Quanto will sell surely more than 5k per month. In coming days, petrol is going to increase more and also with poor economy entry level car market is going to go down. Hyundai's cars are mainly petrol ones like Eon, Santro & i10. So they will suffer more. With this car & coming Verito CS i guess Mahindra is all set to take No 2 position. I will be very happy if that happens pretty soon. Time to buy Mahindra shares i guess

Anyways, i didn't like the name that much. Quanto is quite difficult to pronounce. They should have taken some better name IMHO
Old 24th August 2012, 11:20   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Anyways, i didn't like the name that much. Quanto is quite difficult to pronounce. They should have taken some better name IMHO
I recommend it be renamed Dhanno. hey, it ends with O. Mahindra will be happy too.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:38   #84
Senior - BHPian

Front looks decent(Xylo looks way better with the front grill) side profile starts off well from front side. But it looks like they started with a measuring tape and just chopped off once they were near 4 meter mark.

Really dull rear side profile and boring back profile.

I read specs of this 1.5 mHawk engine. Looks promising but is completely new, so hope mahindra has really stressed it out before releasing it to customers.

If all goes well, mahindra will have a 1.5l engine with which they can work wonders.. small cars, mid size sedans in addition to its SUV/MUV portfolio (how renault is milking its 1.5dci everywhere) .

All the best M&M. You are making the country proud. i like your aggressive nature.
Old 24th August 2012, 12:05   #85
BHPian

Will it be fair to say that the Premier Rio and the Quanto will fall in the same segment? Though both maybe poles apart in terms of brand value.
Old 24th August 2012, 12:20   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Will it be fair to say that the Premier Rio and the Quanto will fall in the same segment? Though both maybe poles apart in terms of brand value.
I suppose.
but you can see the difference in which has been created from scratch(granted not by the manufacturer) as a mini SUV, and which one is an iteration.
Old 24th August 2012, 13:20   #87
jp1
BHPian

I am driving a Bolero from 2001, that is around 12 years, this time I am going to ditch Bolero for Quanto. Mahindra has done nothing meaningful for Bolero for the last 10 years other than downgrading it with an atrocious engine, but still it sells, I am not sure from where that volume comes from. I was thinking of Thar, but it is priced way too high with hardly any creature comfort. Eagerly waiting for Quanto and hoping that it meets my requirement. My requirement, a short wheel base vehicle, which can seat 4 or 5, good enough for city drive and equally good for occasional long trips and handles bad roads without complaining. Hope Quanto fits the bill.
Old 24th August 2012, 13:57   #88
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for going OT, you should try Sumo Gold CR4 aswel, it impressed a guy who never looked at a Sumo, just 1 TD did the trick and for Bolero it was other way around.

On Quanto it does look smart, esp in Side profile, but looks can deceive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I am driving a Bolero from 2001, that is around 12 years, this time I am going to ditch Bolero for Quanto. Mahindra has done nothing meaningful for Bolero for the last 10 years other than downgrading it with an atrocious engine, but still it sells, I am not sure from where that volume comes from. I was thinking of Thar, but it is priced way too high with hardly any creature comfort. Eagerly waiting for Quanto and hoping that it meets my requirement. My requirement, a short wheel base vehicle, which can seat 4 or 5, good enough for city drive and equally good for occasional long trips and handles bad roads without complaining. Hope Quanto fits the bill.
lohithrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 14:05   #89
jp1
BHPian

Thanks for suggesting Sumo, but it is too big (overall length) for me. I need something smaller or same as Bolero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Sorry for going OT, you should try Sumo Gold CR4 aswel, it impressed a guy who never looked at a Sumo, just 1 TD did the trick and for Bolero it was other way around.

On Quanto it does look smart, esp in Side profile, but looks can deceive
Old 24th August 2012, 15:27   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the scoop GTO sir! This seriously looks good. Wasn't expecting much from the first sightings that were posted on the forum. But M & M have delivered!

Will the "Quanto" be FWD like all the other mini-UV's?? Any idea?
As far as I know, it's a unique combo of East-West engine and Rear Wheel Drive. The 1.5 L engine is downsized version of 2.2L mHawk. More than the powertrain, the suspension layout and resulting ride and handling is what the Quanto needs to prove.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed