Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2012, 17:51   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya2703 View Post
As far as I know, it's a unique combo of East-West engine and Rear Wheel Drive. The 1.5 L engine is downsized version of 2.2L mHawk. More than the powertrain, the suspension layout and resulting ride and handling is what the Quanto needs to prove.
Don't think so.Even ACI said that it's longitudinal. Like you said the East-west RWD is an unique combo indeed.
It's same as Xylo minus the third row.
Looking forward the Quanto as a replacement for my WagonR. Does 80% of the job while having diesel economy and more sturdy.
But even before i have driven or seen it will have some reservations about the Quanto.
1. 3pot oil burners' NVH -,no doubting the power it will have but the NVH is a source of worry.
2. The ride/handling of Xylo is nothing to write about so something shorter than it is unthinkable, but read that the shortening has resulted in strengthening of the chassis. Hope Mahindra is rectified it. Either there should be good handling OR a comfortable ride.Till date no Mahindra has given that.Fingers crossed.
3. This is a personal taste, can't stand Mahindra interior plastics. Tata cars/UVs may have worse fit and finish but there is at least a design and certain ambience. Except XUV500 (haven't sat in it), all other Mahindra's have this certain kinda cardboardish plastics. But not much of a bother for me if the first two points are taken care of and the base diesel's price starts at 5lacs.
Old 27th August 2012, 01:21   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
After using xylo for nearly 4 years and clocking 90K kms, the maintenance is pretty expensive. I shell around an average of 5K every 5000 service. Are Mahindra vehicles expensive to maintain. What are other owner's feedback. Mini xylo looks promising but worried about maintenance costs.
Now... Is there anybody who could throw a little more light on this?
Old 27th August 2012, 12:39   #108
BHPian

Mahindra will give Tata sleepless nights for sure with this car.

There is nothing to worry for Ertiga for sure, but will give indica some worry even tough both cars are of different caregory. Mahindra has a winner on hand for sure.
Old 27th August 2012, 20:55   #109
BHPian

Thanks for the scoop, GTO :-)

Any guesses on the likely FE ? If it is > 16kmpl in city, it will be definitely be great!

Also heard that there will be a petrol version of this . Any update about this ?

Any idea on approx. OTR prices (ie, if 5 to 6 is base approx will OTR be 1.5L more ?)
Old 27th August 2012, 21:32   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by byomjeet View Post
Now... Is there anybody who could throw a little more light on this?

Hi byomjeet

i too am harboring a xylo,and i must say its puts a smile evrytime we are in it

Coming to expenses part, xylo is inexpensive to maintain PERIOD.
the way these Service advisors add the additives to these bills its a pain in the eyes
Till now (read 50k km) i have spent not more than 2-3k on regular 5k service and 6-7 k during 15k service
i have an example to proove this

Last service i sent my driver with the car ( regular service not the oil change one) he was handed a whooping estimate of 6300.
He called me to tell this and i banged the daylights off the SA ears, they had added
DRY CLEANING of SEATS
Engine Lubrication
Valve cleaner
some sort of injector cleaner
Body polish
without any consent
and the biggest fooling part is

INR 119 for windwasher fluid
I also cut that out and humbly add 4 packets of Dove shampoo sachet with water and that has always worked wonders.
So its actually how you want your bill to be
These SA guys have a habbit of piling on to everthing

Sorry for being OT

This new xylo will work wonders the way every Indian has stitched the image for this manufacturer in their minds(after XUV). and with this great pricing and low maintenance costs as i quoted above this will work wonders
don_carmaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 23:05   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
Coming to expenses part, xylo is inexpensive to maintain PERIOD.
the way these Service advisors add the additives to these bills its a pain in the eyes
Till now (read 50k km) i have spent not more than 2-3k on regular 5k service and 6-7 k during 15k service
With nothing against Xylo, I still find the costs on the higher side when compared to Tata Grande, a direct competitor.

By your own admission, Xylo costs 2-3K every 5000Km and additional 6-7K on 15,000Km service, a total of 10-13K every 15,000Km. On the other hand, The Grande costs somewhere between 7-8K every 15,000Km with a service schedule of 15,000Km and no requirement for service in between.

The Grande example is merely for comparison sake as per details available with me and I have intention of veering the thread into a Tata V Mahindra discussion but rather provide a perspective of service costs prevailing in market as asked by a fellow member.
Old 27th August 2012, 23:37   #112
BHPian

My take on Quanto -
1. It is an alternative to a diesel hatch.
2. It is a 5 seater at best (not to be seen as a 7 seater), yet can do a 7 seater when required which no hatch can do.
3. It has a GC of a softroader?, or may be about 170mm (Ikon had 190mm).
4. It could be low on running cost & service.
5. It could be VFM too.
6. It is a RWD (now this is the most interesting for me).
Guys what do these observations mean to you, do pour in.
Old 27th August 2012, 23:49   #113
BHPian

Hi akhilesh,
Honestly speaking the service interval of XYLO which has been set at 5k is merely a way to mint some more money
With taking into consideration that every service has an inbuilt labor cost of Rs. 2200 for xylo, which could be surpassed if we come into the 7.5k km service cycle

Speaking with my experience, there's nothing much more than seats tightening, tyre rotations and wheel-balancing, alignments that are taken care in these unnecessary services
and coming to the reliability factor IMO a Mahindra is anyday much more reliable than a TATA

So comparing these with the current scenario the quanto could prove to be hit with the people who have an information or two about how well they can be looted and how well they can loot the manufacturer

In my experience of 50k kms theres been only the last time that i paid for a front upper arm change on both the sides, rest everything has been working quite fine till now. Touchwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
My take on Quanto -
1. It is an alternative to a diesel hatch.
2. It is a 5 seater at best (not to be seen as a 7 seater), yet can do a 7 seater when required which no hatch can do.
3. It has a GC of a softroader?, or may be about 170mm (Ikon had 190mm).
4. It could be low on running cost & service.
5. It could be VFM too.
6. It is a RWD (now this is the most interesting for me).
Guys what do these observations mean to you, do pour in.

1. It practically is
2. I would really love to use this vehicle with the rear jump seats removed.
4.It definately would be
5. Rwd, plainly because of the xylo DNA

Last edited by don_carmaster : 27th August 2012 at 23:54.
Old 28th August 2012, 13:42   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Any idea on approx. OTR prices (ie, if 5 to 6 is base approx will OTR be 1.5L more ?)

OTR price calculation in Bangalore for pvt cars:

Example:
Ex showroom price : 5 lakhs
Registration (15%) : 0.75 lakhs
Insurance : 0.2 lakhs (approx)
Incidentals etc. : 0.05 lakhs (approx)
So the OTR would be : 6 lakh Rs.

The above calculation works out pretty close for me, when I work out the OTR for Bangalore

Last edited by mooza : 28th August 2012 at 13:45.
Old 28th August 2012, 14:15   #115
Team-BHP Support

To be launched by end Sep as per ET

Mahindra &Mahindra's compact SUV 'Quanto' to be launched in September - The Economic Times

Ford is already losing steam with Ecosport's with late entry.
Old 28th August 2012, 14:18   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
One potential downer could be the 3 pot mill derived from the m-Hawks that could be coarse and jerky.
Instead of this they could have plonked the dCi 1.5 that does the duty on the Verito.
In line with vehicle platforms, Mahindra has been formulating a long term powertrain startegy since last decade or so. The base platform being MDi while the top end being the mHawk, with NEF engine filling in between needs.
The mechanical design of 2.2 mHawk was done with a clear intent to derive multiple siblings. The 3 cylinder 1.5L is a well thoughtout engine which M&M will use on other vehicles as well. There are few more exciting engines coming out of this design. The engine team has taken huge efforts to achieve great competencies in design, development, emission, performance and reliability of there "OWN engines. Low cost, robust and reliable performance and umlimited flexibility makes mHawk a clear choice as against the 1.5dCi Renault (no offence ment to the dCi).

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th August 2012 at 15:30. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag
Aditya2703 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 14:21   #117
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
As the launch date for the Mahindra Quanto comes close, company sources have indicated that the price for the mini-MPV will be between Rs 6 lakh for the base model and Rs 7.5 lakh for the fully loaded top-end model. This means the Quanto will not be as affordable as speculated – a body-on-frame construction and consequent higher material costs make it difficult for it to be launched at a more competitive price point.

However, our sources have confirmed that it will be very well specced, which is possibly Mahindra’s way of justifying the higher-than-expected price. The Quanto will carry over most of the Xylo’s features and will be available with airbags too.

Mahindra will launch the Quanto in second half of September 2012.

Mahindra Quanto prices may start at Rs 6 lakh | News | Autocar India
An update on this vehicle on Autocar
rbp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 14:29   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
An update on this vehicle on Autocar
I too read that. 6 lakh may seem a tad too high but if it was loaded with safety features I wouldn't mind plunking my money on it. However 7.5 for top end still seems to be decent enough. What say TEAM ?
Old 28th August 2012, 14:36   #119
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I too read that. 6 lakh may seem a tad too high but if it was loaded with safety features I wouldn't mind plunking my money on it. However 7.5 for top end still seems to be decent enough. What say TEAM ?
What if it is the Ex-Showroom price mentioned above.
Old 28th August 2012, 16:22   #120
Senior - BHPian

OD have reported that the prices of the Quanto may start at Rs.5 Lacs, which is good pricing imo. Here is link to their report:

Mahindra Quanto to be launched in September 2012 - Overdrive
Closed Thread

Most Viewed