Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 17:37   #1
BHPian

Mercedes-Benz to assemble M & GL-Class SUVs in India

The economic slowdown might have finally hit luxury car sales in India (2.5% sales decline in April-July 2012 year-on-year), but that hasn’t stopped Mercedes-Benz from announcing their new move in India.

Daimler AG announced yesterday that it will begin assembly of the M-Class and GL-Class SUVs in India using SKD (Semi-Knocked Down) kits. The M-Class assembly unit could be established as early as this year end, while the GL-Class is expected to begin next year. Besides India, assembly for these models will also start in Thailand and Indonesia at around the same time.

Daimler is expecting high growth rates from India, prompting more localised production which could allow faster deliveries and better pricing. Add to that, both these models are SUVs, the flavour of the season in the India market.

SKD kits for these SUVs will be imported from the Mercedes-Benz’ parent plant in Tuscaloosa, United States. Mercedes-Benz’s facility near Pune, which assembles sedans like the C, E and S-Class, will take over the new SKD assembly task.

The GL-Class is currently priced at Rs 65 - 79 lakh and the ML Class is priced at Rs 55 lakh (both ex-Mumbai).

Mercedes-Benz to assemble M & GL-Class SUVs in India-new-mclass-3.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 29th August 2012 at 18:43. Reason: Updating Attachment
DukeNukem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 19:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz to assemble M & GL-Class SUVs in India

This news has been around for a while, I think other threads mention it too.
Also, the pictures you have posted are of the previous generation M and GL models, the ones that will be assembled here are the updated versions.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 20:16   #3
BHPian

Good move by Mercedes,after all our market is tending towards SUVs,MUVs and their demand will only grow YOY.The GL may even become a great success like Q7,its road presence alone will do the trick IMHO.

Hope they bring the GLK soon,thats really a superb looking SUV and can take on the likes of X3 and Q5.
Old 28th August 2012, 22:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Good move provided they are gonna shave off couple of lakhs of the price! If they are going to retain the same prices, they are only trying to make their pockets bigger!
Old 31st August 2012, 21:41   #5
BHPian

A dealer in Mumbai with whom I was enquiring for C250CDI, has confirmed this news that they would be launching a new ML250 CDI which would be assembled (CKD) here. It will have ventilated seats, keyless start-stop and 7 speed gearbox. 204ps 2.2 ltr engine will be offered henceforth, in E class and M Class only. So, those who may be waiting for C250CDI, should get it soon , till stocks are available.

C220 cdi will be available with 7 speed gearbox henceforth. The one I test drove was with 5 speed only. In C250 CDI, they offered AMG edition with 7 speed gearbox with controls on steerings and till 28th August just 2 pieces were remaining and almost nil discount(as per the sales consultant). After a lot of haggling, he agreed for a maximum discount of Rs 1 Lakh on AMG (C250 CDI)edition.

I have got so confused because of this information, that finally, decided to skip booking a Freelander2 and decided to wait for new ML250 CDI and hope its in the same price range and for the time being considering some other VFM sedan. In the meantime, around 23 Aug, refreshed Freelander 2 has been launched in UK with genuine keyless start stop feature and ventilated seats. It may come to India by Jan 2013 or earlier if stocks get over sooner. Currently a discount of Rs.1.75 Lakhs is offered on a Freelander2 .

I got an offer for Rs.2.5Lakh discount on C250CDI plus additional Rs. 1.5 Lakhs for a 2011 manufactured model. Its going to be a tough call to choose between the two for buyers in this segment as both are likely to be priced in the similar price bracket.
Old 31st August 2012, 21:46   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the information, would appreciate if you could kindly confirm the source of the information
Old 31st August 2012, 21:57   #7
BHPian

Certainly a good move by Mercedes. I wonder by how much will the prices actually decrease. Around 3-5Lakhs is what I estimate. If they launch the ML250 as shatrughna said then they could price is around 45L. I dont think they would price the ML anything below that because it is in comparison to the Q7 and Porsche Cayenne. There were a couple of rumors that they might launch the GLK to compete with the Q5 and freelander 2 so certainly the M class weather the ML250 or the 350 will not be priced below 45 ex showroom.
Old 31st August 2012, 22:17   #8
BHPian

The current GLK is left hand drive only, they are going to take care of that in the next generation.
Cars ought to be priced according to value (cost + overheads + profit), not their perceived value (the price of their competitor's product), and i think thats actually happening nowadays in India.
Old 10th September 2012, 16:29   #9
BHPian

I was looking to get the Q5/X3 when I was told the ML with a smaller engine would be available soon. I had a word with the dealership and I was told it would cost close to 55L on road, sometime in October.

Makes a very compelling case for itself, considering the even smaller 2.0L engines from the competition with lower power / torque figures , both of which are an obvious size smaller than the new ML cost close to 50L.
Old 10th October 2012, 14:49   #10
BHPian

Breaking: ML class production begins.

Quote:
India is the first country outside the US to manufacture the M-Class. ....

The ML350 CDI, launched a few months ago, is the top-end variant that is also now produced at this plant. 30% of the car has been localized.

MB India has received 200 orders for the M Class. Delivery of these cars will be complete by November.
@Mods:Please update the thread title. Thanks

Link:http://indianautosblog.com/2012/10/m...india-assembly

Last edited by sarthakgupta : 10th October 2012 at 14:55.
Old 10th October 2012, 15:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb View Post
I was looking to get the Q5/X3 when I was told the ML with a smaller engine would be available soon. I had a word with the dealership and I was told it would cost close to 55L on road, sometime in October.

Makes a very compelling case for itself, considering the even smaller 2.0L engines from the competition with lower power / torque figures , both of which are an obvious size smaller than the new ML cost close to 50L.
Hasnt the new ML 250 been launched for 45.XX!! I believe this will cost around 50L On Road which is a fab fab deal. The funny thing is that this car will now cost less than a VW Toureg in India

Most Viewed