Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2012, 00:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Worst OEM Headlight

Not only the Swift, but most Maruti's suffer major setback when it comes to headlamps.
Unike all other advanced safety measures headlamps are the simplest but unfortunately its simply not considered as a safety criteria by most manufacturers. ABS, stability controls etc can help to avoid accidents but a worse headlamp can serve as a creator of the same. IMHO, car manufacturers should consider such complaints from their customers than going for cost-cutting and putting safety of the passengers on the line.
junaid12345678 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 00:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised as no one has mentioned Linea. I thought Linea would runaway with the top prize for worst OEM headlamps. It is a known fact among Linea owners that the effect at low-beam is pathetic to say the least. But at the same time High Beam makes up for that and atleast in my case I found High Beam sufficient. So Linea owners recommend upgrade of only H1 bulb (or H7, but either of the two not both). Linea's fog lamps are also excellent.
At the same time I feel the all-round performance of stock headlamps of my Fusion is marvellous.
In our country, buying a car is becoming unexciting for enthusiasts. Like the insurance policies, the headlights, fog lights, reverse lights, wipers, tyres, are all being regulated and manufacturers are providing just to meet the norms and customers are going for upgrade on day 1 itself.
2 rear fog lamps, 2 reverse lights, 2 wipers, rear cabin light, rear wiper, etc all look like luxury items.
Old 29th August 2012, 00:30   #33
BHPian

Sx4 is having a very pathetic headlamp unit , tata safari also suffers from the same . But excellent lights so far experienced is from my Fiat 'Adventure' and icing in the cake is its extra 4 lamps including fog .
Old 29th August 2012, 01:48   #34
BHPian

In my book, this dubious distinction has to be shared between the following:

1. All New Honda City (ANHC): drove my uncle's 2011 car from Panchgani to Mumbai at night and had a grueling experience. As a matter of fact, he asked me to take the wheel in the first place because he was struggling with the car's low as well as high beams. Simply inadequate units I thought.

2. i10: my wife's sister has the Sportz trim and it has terrible OE lamps. The approach street to her apartment complex is quite dimly lit and you really have to crane your neck over the steering to get a good look at the road ahead. Or risk scraping the underside!

3. Vento: for a car of its stature and capability, she surely deserved better headlamps. Not asking for HIDs but come on, VW's blockbuster sedan literally screams for OEM lamps with a wider reach and better illumination. Didn't find them very confidence inspiring while on a recent trip from Patiala, Punjab to New Delhi.

My top 3 in no particular order, I'd have to say.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 29th August 2012 at 01:53.
Old 29th August 2012, 02:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

Is there any car Left?
I think almost every car that doesnt have a projector or HID as OEM has been quoted at least once in this thread.IMHO,requirement of light might be different across individuals,someone said linea,but i find the light adequate,and so on.
akshay4587 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 08:01   #36
BANNED

One of the worst OEM headlights of all time would be the Old Daewoo Matiz.
It threw light at the wrong place and the headlamps were terribly useless, mostly due to their unusual high placement
They finally, resolved this issue a bit with the Spark.
Old 29th August 2012, 08:44   #37
BHPian

Its got to be the figo. It was really bad with stock bulbs. I upgraded and it improved. Then the holders blew out and got them replaced. Now my beam adjusted does not work - stuck in the lowest position. Ford said its because I changed my bulbs! So i paid them to get it repaired. It worked for a month and now is again stuck.....not sure what to do. The fogs are worse - they are more like parking lights.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Ghorpade View Post
I have a Cruze and a Figo, and the Cruze lights are probably the worst ever. The problem is that the units seem to be carried over from the LHD versions and the entire beam is focused towards the right side of the car. The result is the left hand side of the road is unlit. Driving at night is a nightmare. They need to put units sold in UK or Oz, and ARAI have not picked up this flaw in the homologation process.
I am very surprised reading this. Have you asked the service centre about it? I am not sure whether this is a problem with Cruze in general or just your car. Cruze would surely not have passed homologation without RHD headlight configuration.

The correct headlight configuration for "keep left" traffic like India is that the right side low beam must throw a little towards the left, and the left side low beam straight ahead. High beam should always throw straight ahead in all cases.

And about the Figo headlights - I agree that the beam's spread and throw is pretty bad. Inside a city, with patchy lighting, I might as well drive with just my parking light on. Same difference. On an unlit highway, however, high beam is OK.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 29th August 2012 at 09:37. Reason: Added my 2p on Figo
Old 29th August 2012, 09:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

It seems like every single car that was and is available in the Indian market will be mentioned in this thread in the next few hours!

So we can conclude that the problem is not with the cars or their designers. The problem is with the way our roads are. International manufacturers provide the same types of lights in India that they provide elsewhere. Indian manufacturers are not different.

However, our city roads are insufficiently lit. Most motorists are irresponsible enough to "upgrade" to high/very high/superhigh intensity lights and then drive on high beams. And our highways have no decent median, to block oncoming vehicles' high beams (or people darting across the roads).

I have driven Palio, Punto and i10. I do like the way Palio's lights spread, but I did not have any problem with Punto's or i10's lights, as long as I did not have to face any oncoming highbeams.

Last edited by rohanjf : 29th August 2012 at 09:51.
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 10:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I beg to disagree. The Fiesta's headlamps are one of the best. I am referring to the Classic and not sure of the new Fiesta.
+1 to what Venu sir said. The Fiesta Classic headlamps are fit for purpose, not too loud nor too weak, just appropriate. The High beams are the best IMO.

I find the trucks and Tata Buses have the worst light throw.

Last edited by ghodlur : 29th August 2012 at 10:09.
Old 29th August 2012, 10:15   #41
BANNED

Theer is even a crib about the OEM HID in an Altis in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-here-424.html
Old 29th August 2012, 10:16   #42
Team-BHP Support

It looks like we don't like to be kept in the dark. That's why nobody seems to be happy their car's headlights.

I'm happy with the headlamp brightness of my cars, but not the way it lights up the roads.

- My old Optra sometimes used to light up the trees rather than road. It was almost like a spotlight because you could spot birds flying in the sky.

- My Civic's headlamps beam adjuster lights up the road either too close to car or too far away. It's never perfect.
Old 29th August 2012, 10:28   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
It seems like every single car that was and is available in the Indian market will be mentioned in this thread in the next few hours!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Is there any car Left?
I guess so. The Alto (800cc and K10) has a respectable OEM headlight unit.
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 10:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Is there any car Left?
Quote:

So we can conclude that the problem is not with the cars or their designers. The problem is with the way our roads are.
I think the core problem is the focus and aim of the lights.
If you don't aim properly you are not going to see anything.
If oncoming traffic is with high beams, you won't see much.

So, if everyone posting here gets the lights focused/ aimed properly, and then report back, we might actually see which reflectors have design issues.

I find SX4 lights to be pretty good, by the way.
Also note, sometimes even service center guys are not equipped to get the lights aligned. So, you are mostly on your own, unless there is a sophisticated alignment center in your city.

I have burned one reflector due to 90/100 upgrade, so I don't recommend that option either.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 10:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
So we can conclude that the problem is not with the cars or their designers. The problem is with the way our roads are.
I agree to your views about our road conditions, but our cars do have problems as well.
How can the same road at similar time be felt different when driven by different cars?
Road illumination in my Maruti Omni feels far better than my Polo on the same stretch of road!

As for the worst OEM setup, my Mahindra Xylo takes the cake. No road illumination at all. Limited beam adjustment as well.

The only good thing about the OEM headlamp setup is the foglamp. The angle of their placement is just good enough to lighten the road edges.

Cheers!
Abhijeet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks