Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2012, 20:54   #61
BHPian

Re: Worst OEM Headlight

Anyone noticed Tata Indica's? From the outside it looks like its got the sun for headlights but from the inside its just as good as the worse we have discussed here. Most Indica headlights are aligned straight for the oncoming drivers face rather than the road.
Old 29th August 2012, 22:28   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
No other car can beat the i10 in this department! The worst I can vouch!

No idea about Figo but the small car category I found Brio headlights to be really good (stock lamps).

Hey, even i have an i10 and i find the headlamps quite good.Have driven it in pitch dark conditions and also under normal street lights. Or may be my expectation is low.Previously i had a wagon r , i find i10 headlight brightness better as compared to wagon r
Old 29th August 2012, 22:57   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
No other car can beat the i10 in this department! The worst I can vouch!
+100 to that. In terms of design, i10 headlight is the worst I've seen. What a disastrous design is that!
Old 29th August 2012, 23:24   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I am very surprised reading this. Have you asked the service centre about it? I am not sure whether this is a problem with Cruze in general or just your car. Cruze would surely not have passed homologation without RHD headlight configuration.

The correct headlight configuration for "keep left" traffic like India is that the right side low beam must throw a little towards the left, and the left side low beam straight ahead. High beam should always throw straight ahead in all cases.

And about the Figo headlights - I agree that the beam's spread and throw is pretty bad. Inside a city, with patchy lighting, I might as well drive with just my parking light on. Same difference. On an unlit highway, however, high beam is OK.
I did get a GM engineer to take a look but he could not come up with a convincing answer or a solution. My Cruze is a Dec 2009 model.
Old 30th August 2012, 00:33   #65
BHPian

Surprisingly, no one seems to have mentioned the Tata Indigo on this thread!

I have an Indigo CS and the stock headlamps were truly pathetic. An upgrade to 90/100 bulbs helped matters a bit, but then the reflector above the bulbs began to deform after a couple of months, so pulled them out. I'm back to stock bulbs and tiptoe around unknown roads at night.

I also own a Wagon-R and not faced any lighting issues with it in almost 6yrs of ownership.
Old 30th August 2012, 00:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Surprisingly, no one seems to have mentioned the Tata Indigo on this thread!

I have an Indigo CS and the stock headlamps were truly pathetic. An upgrade to 90/100 bulbs helped matters a bit, but then the reflector above the bulbs began to deform after a couple of months, so pulled them out. I'm back to stock bulbs and tiptoe around unknown roads at night.

I also own a Wagon-R and not faced any lighting issues with it in almost 6yrs of ownership.
Indigo CS makes up for it,by having super bright tail lamps.
Its pretty irritating to trail a Indigo CS at night.
Btw CS has a twin H1\H7 headlamp set up,isnt it?
Old 30th August 2012, 00:44   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Indigo CS makes up for it,by having super bright tail lamps.
Its pretty irritating to trail a Indigo CS at night.
Btw CS has a twin H1\H7 headlamp set up,isnt it?
well, I dont normally drive in reverse

I don't know what an H1\H7 setup is, but my car just has 1 main headlight bulb on each side headlight assembly, used for both low and full beams.
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 00:51   #68
BHPian

I agree with recshenoy. Figo has the worst OEM headlamps. I even had the company offered "upgrade" which was supposed to have better illumination. Still, there is absolutely no change. It is so scary to go long drives that too on unfamiliar roads at night. I have missed potholes, got bent rims and tyre deflation because of the miserable headlamps. The illumination is reasonable only when the stalk is held in a position between low beam and high beam. But it is impossible hold the stalk in the inbetween position continously in single carriageway highways with vehicles continuously
coming from the opposite side. I hope the new Figo will have better headlamps.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 30th August 2012 at 00:52.
Old 30th August 2012, 11:44   #69
BHPian

The worst headlights IMO is those of the Ikon's!! 55/60, 90/100, 100/130, nothing worked!!

On the opposite side, I love the Aveo's simple headlights! Stock 55/60 for the last 61,000 km/20 months, they light up the highway like heaven for me with its focus and cutoff line; just *perfect* for night shuttles!

Best headlights currently: Fortuner & XUV500 (although, projector setup)

cya
A
Old 30th August 2012, 12:58   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolabhi

Hey, even i have an i10 and i find the headlamps quite good.Have driven it in pitch dark conditions and also under normal street lights. Or may be my expectation is low.Previously i had a wagon r , i find i10 headlight brightness better as compared to wagon r
Well I had an i10 earlier. The headlamps were really bad. I had fog lamps installed from hyundai as well and was using them all the time and it was barely sufficient in the city.

Recently drove my father in laws new i10 on highway from Meerut to Delhi and it was without fog lamps and it was such a harrowing experience. Road was just barely visible. Thankfully it was late at night and traffic was not that much.

Maybe as some people have said, problem is not our cars but other cars coming in opposite direction that have more powerful lamps or even high bean on. Stock lamps, be it any car, then can't fight with that.
Old 30th August 2012, 13:42   #71
BHPian

The SX4 has pathetic headlights. I find them inadequate in both city as well as highways. The beam has no spread and its difficult to see the dividers.
Old 30th August 2012, 14:54   #72
BHPian

Verna & Getz for sure... They were miserable on a normal day and if it rains, better to pull over and wait for the rains to pass.
AJITHAAA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 15:49   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Love the Linea's double barrel light spread, even the fog lamps are good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
IMHO,requirement of light might be different across individuals,someone said linea,but i find the light adequate,and so on.
Really amazing that people here find the Linea's headlight to be impressive / adequate. It is universal thruth that the low beam of the Linea is really pathetic specially in the rains nothing is visible. At the same time the high beam of the Linea makes up for this deficiency to some extent. But that would mean that you drive the car with high beam on even within the city which is not the correct thing to do. The fog lamps in the Linea are really good and gives a wide coverage.

Even GTO made this comment about the Linea's headlamps in the Official Review of the Tjet+ :-
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Stunning headlamp design. Low beam poor, high beam just okay. Bulb upgrade recommended:

Fog lamps aren't merely cosmetic. Their powerful lateral spread greatly helps in unfamiliar territory:
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 15:56   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
But that would mean that you drive the car with high beam on even within the city which is not the correct thing to do.
It all depends on person to person as akshay mentions, if you have experienced something better you will definitely know which car has poor headlights but if you have 3 cars and out of them the poor one is the best of 3, then you can only rejoice
What i wanted to say was that compared to my Vento, the Linea still had better illumination.

The low beam for most cars nowadays is very poor, Linea included but high beam with fog lamps pretty much makes up for it and as for going on high beams inside city, yes its a wrong practice but i will prefer my and my family's safety first than worrying about other motorists (90% of whom switch on high beams just after starting their cars).
Old 30th August 2012, 15:57   #75
BHPian

First of all i thought my eye-sight is having problem whenever i hit highways at nite. Im happy im not, since most of the members here are complaining the same here.

I guess every car in India will be in this list in few days from now . The OEM lighting is insufficient for our highway structure and with so many vehicles plying with upgraded high beam on highways. Any low slung car owner will complaint much about their OEM headlights. Zen, Figo, Honda City type 1 etc will be a prey/victim of oncoming vehicles light.

An upgrade of headlight is must for our highway setup, but I'am worrying about reflector/dome damage since few of our members reported about it. With my Figo's 55/60 setup, i always try to avoid night driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks