Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 15:58   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Worst OEM Headlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Really amazing that people here find the Linea's headlight to be impressive / adequate. It is universal thruth that the low beam of the Linea is really pathetic specially in the rains nothing is visible. At the same time the high beam of the Linea makes up for this deficiency to some extent. But that would mean that you drive the car with high beam on even within the city which is not the correct thing to do. The fog lamps in the Linea are really good and gives a wide coverage.

Even GTO made this comment about the Linea's headlamps in the Official Review of the Tjet+ :-
It depends on driving conditions
I drive in chandigarh,roads here are so well lit,that you can drive around with lights off.So i feel low beam is adequate.Also in rainy season i have found that trick is to set the headlight to position 2 and switch to highbeam,other than that i dont exceed 100 at night,so lights are adequate for me,though an upgrade is on cards,probably a projector set up with HID for the oomph factor.
Old 30th August 2012, 16:28   #77
Senior - BHPian

I find all TATA cars headlight to be superb, They light up the roads really well

For worst headlights, Here's my list :

1- i10
2-ikon all models
3- Accent
4- santro
5- wagonr
6- dzire
7- scorpio
8- honda city
9- Alto
10- Polo
11- beat
12- spark etc etc

The list is quite big, Most of the modern cars ( specially cars under 10 L ) are equipped with bad headlights, Cost cutting , I guess OR another reason which comes to my mind is that, poor road infrastructure in India, which forces most of the people to use High beams.

Cheers,
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 30th August 2012 at 16:32.
Old 30th August 2012, 16:55   #78
BHPian

We have been lamenting about how bad headlights are and how difficult it is to drive with such lights. I've seen a lot of people drive with only one of this bad headlight. I wonder what do they see
Old 30th August 2012, 16:56   #79
BHPian

Did anyone mention the Good ol' amby. Our 61' model (Sold couple of years back) had the worst headlight spread ever Even bulb upgrades with a cutout in place didn't help. The best part is the brightness of the lights was directly proportional to the amount the car was revved
aadithsince1980 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 17:06   #80
BHPian

Apparently all the cars are having bad headlights! I doubt if the govt agencies have upgraded the street lamps!

My car's light is brightest when we have a power outage!
Old 31st August 2012, 00:39   #81
BHPian

I quite like the OE headlights of Toyota Liva. Quite sufficient. Same is not true about its fog lamps though!
Old 31st August 2012, 00:58   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
I quite like the OE headlights of Toyota Liva. Quite sufficient. Same is not true about its fog lamps though!
I agree with you. Though its not possible for me to agree with you on the fog front. Because mine does not have any.
Coming back to lights, I expected pretty puny headlights similar to candles, but when I used them at night, it was shocking in a nice way.
And the best part is, that they focus most of the beam on the road, and towards the left.
Downside? Well you cannot blind the volvos.
Old 31st August 2012, 07:03   #83
BHPian

The OEM headlights on my old Zen Lxi were horrible! As good as not having the headlights on! Got an upgraded wiring kit with a relay, and fitted Philips Crystal Vision 90/100 halogens and voila! it made a world of difference!!
I own 2 Figos and agree that the OEM headlights are inadequate! I'm planning to replace the OEM bulbs with Philips Crystal Vision / Diamond Vision, 55/60 bulbs, however, I first need to check with Ford A.S.S. if it shall void the warranty or not!
Old 31st August 2012, 07:28   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I agree with you. Though its not possible for me to agree with you on the fog front. Because mine does not have any.
Even my Liva GD doesn't have a fog light. My experience is based on driving my colleague's Liva V, which has a OE fog lamp. And yes, given the cost-cutting that has gone into Liva, it was a pleasant surprise to have proper headlights in LiVa.
Old 31st August 2012, 07:49   #85
Senior - BHPian

The Estilo OEM headlights are not very useful. I found the spread and the intensity of the light to be not sufficient.

OTOH, the new Swift OEM light is very good. I haven't felt the need to upgrade even after multiple highway trips at night. But I don't like the fog lights. The spread is not very good and found it to be useful only inside a parking lot. I haven't fiddled with the alignment though.
Old 31st August 2012, 10:39   #86
BHPian

anybody remembers Palio's headlamps. Especially when they get fogged. You cant see a thing!
Old 31st August 2012, 10:47   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Stock bulbs on I20 are pathetic. But with Philips extreme power, low beam throw is wayy better . But high beam still leaves a lot to be desired for
Old 31st August 2012, 11:06   #88
BANNED

The real improvements came when we moved from Lenses to Clear fronts. The pattern got moved to the reflector and improved the light pattern no end.

However, every time I changed my larger car (118NE > Esteem > Accent > Civic) the new car at first seemed to have great lighting. Took me a few months to realise that they could have been better.
Old 31st August 2012, 13:05   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
No other car can beat the i10 in this department! The worst I can vouch!

No idea about Figo but the small car category I found Brio headlights to be really good (stock lamps).
I too vote for i10, i recently upgraded them 90/100 and its much better now
Old 6th September 2012, 12:30   #90
BHPian

Talking about the best,

Amongst the sub 10L cars that I have driven in past, best headlights on highway were 118NE and when I replaced stock bulbs with halogen bulbs they only got better. next in line was good old jeep. Most of the recent models of all different makes generally have bit weak headlights as they are more targeted to city driving rather than highway driving.

Amongst the upmarket (read expensive) cars I found Merc E series lights better than BMW series 8 (Both 1998 vintage) I have not had opportunity to drive latest model upmarket car on highway during night so can not opine on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks