Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2015, 07:20   #61
BHPian

Re: West Bengal announces lifetime tax on cars

If I pay the lifetime tax in West Bengal now while buying a new car, will it be valid for 10 years or 15 years? I thought it is for 15 years, but I am getting different answers from the VW dealer.
Old 2nd September 2015, 01:54   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post

My car is WB-06 registered and was originally registered/road tax paid at Beltala. What I know is that some load at Beltala was divided between PVD Kasba (catering to south & east Kolkata) and PVD Saltlake (catering to North Kolkata). Rest remains with Beltala.
Thanks for this post.Can you please let me know how much % of invoice value was charged for the Ford Fiesta.

My A-star completes 5 years in some months and to make matters worse/better am transferred to Hyderabad. Now Hyderabad has the option to retain original registration and just pay the road tax(around 20K for my A-star). Now I have two options:-

i> Get a NOC from Kolkata and re-register the car in Hyderabad. However that would be a lot of hassle with getting the NOC from Kolkata and then running around in hyderabad to get the car re-registered with a TS number plate.Now say I get back to Kolkata after 2 years, the process repeats again.

ii> Just drive into Hyderabad, no NOC nothing, just pay the road tax BUT will also have to pay the road tax in Kolkata. This though expensive as I would be paying one road tax extra in any of the state is actually convenient, however depending on the road tax amount in Kolkata.

I am fighting a two edged battle on this, some info/suggestion would help.Its a WB06 vehicle, Behala being its abode.
P.S:- Cant sell it off, first thing I bought after getting my job.
Old 29th October 2015, 16:12   #63
BHPian

Request somebody to please let me know if it is possible to pay WB road tax online. This is for a friend whose car has WB 26(Barast) registration. I couldn't find a website site to do this.
Old 29th October 2015, 22:47   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktop View Post
Request somebody to please let me know if it is possible to pay WB road tax online. This is for a friend whose car has WB 26(Barast) registration. I couldn't find a website site to do this.
AFAIK there is none. I have a WB 26 car too. There's supposed to be a site for paying tax online, but that site even does not open up ! (IIRC the vahan site)
I paid in person while renewing my road tax a year back.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 07:28   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
AFAIK there is none. I have a WB 26 car too. There's supposed to be a site for paying tax online, but that site even does not open up ! (IIRC the vahan site)
Thanks BlackAsta. Guess one still has no option but to go all the way till Barasat on a weekday!
Old 13th December 2015, 16:18   #66
BANNED

Most states have a provision of refunding tax for the time you DONT use the vehicle.

If greater than 30 days.

Though I don't know a single person who has made use of it.

Here is the section from Karnataka'd MV act:
"Refund of tax.- Where a tax on any motor vehicle has been paid for any period and

it is proved to the satisfaction of the prescribed authority that the vehicle has not been used during the whole of that period,

or a continuous part thereof,

not being less than one calendar month,

a refund shall be made of such portion of the tax and subject to such conditions as may be prescribed."

I think guys who go abroad for a couple of months ought to use this benefit.
Old 4th May 2016, 09:50   #67
BHPian

Quote:

Can the road tax be paid in advance? My vehicle completes 5 years in September, Can I pay the tax in July?

My car is not in Kolkata now, will the documents along with a PUC from a different state be enough to pay the tax.
Old 4th May 2016, 10:40   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Can the road tax be paid in advance? My vehicle completes 5 years in September, Can I pay the tax in July?

My car is not in Kolkata now, will the documents along with a PUC from a different state be enough to pay the tax.
I guess 3 months in advance should be fine. But again, no one knows the whims of the babus in RTO.
Old 8th July 2016, 15:56   #69
BHPian

Quote:
I guess 3 months in advance should be fine. But again, no one knows the whims of the babus in RTO.

Finally managed to pay the road tax for 5 years.

Took leave today, woke up early morning, booked an ola cab from my home in behala and reached pvd kasba at around 10:30. The PVD kasba is right opposite ruby hospital. Place is nice and clean with very few touts and its quite possible to pay your tax yourself here. The counters are marked clean for tax collection, driving license, new registration etc. Stood in a queue behind 5-6 people, gave my papers and ALAS!!!!

The clerk checks my residence pincode and says that I will need to pay my road tax at the old office in beltala. It is your residence pincode which decides where you can pay the tax.

Off i went to the old den, Beltala and it was horrid as usual. For 30 minutes I ran from pillar to post trying to get a form or to understand which counter to pay the tax. Everyone non- chalantly gave whatever information they felt like and I knew I was done for the day.

Finally got hold of a tout and he asked me to sit on a chair while he would do the running around. Believe it or not i was happily going home within 30 min with the tax token in my hand. The tax applicable for me was 25000 as per the slab ( 900 cc nd abv , 5.5% or 25000 whichever is higher) for 5 years.

The tout took some 3000 rupees above the 25000 as file handling charges and service tax etc, which i believe was his commission+bribe. Lastly he asked for tips, and I gave him 100 rupees

Last edited by saion666 : 8th July 2016 at 15:59.
Old 8th July 2016, 17:32   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Finally managed to pay the road tax for 5 years.

Took leave today, woke up early morning, booked an ola cab from my home in behala and reached pvd kasba at around 10:30. The PVD kasba is right opposite ruby hospital. Place is nice and clean with very few touts and its quite possible to pay your tax yourself here. The counters are marked clean for tax collection, driving license, new registration etc. Stood in a queue behind 5-6 people, gave my papers and ALAS!!!!

The clerk checks my residence pincode and says that I will need to pay my road tax at the old office in beltala. It is your residence pincode which decides where you can pay the tax.

Off i went to the old den, Beltala and it was horrid as usual. For 30 minutes I ran from pillar to post trying to get a form or to understand which counter to pay the tax. Everyone non- chalantly gave whatever information they felt like and I knew I was done for the day.

Finally got hold of a tout and he asked me to sit on a chair while he would do the running around. Believe it or not i was happily going home within 30 min with the tax token in my hand. The tax applicable for me was 25000 as per the slab ( 900 cc nd abv , 5.5% or 25000 whichever is higher) for 5 years.

The tout took some 3000 rupees above the 25000 as file handling charges and service tax etc, which i believe was his commission+bribe. Lastly he asked for tips, and I gave him 100 rupees
The due date for tax for my vehicle is Jan next year thus plan to get the activity completed a month or two in advance. Can you please shed some light on the following:

1. Did you need to carry anything other than the RC Book, PUC, valid insurance and the previous tax token ?

2. As a payment option do we need to pay in cash or are card transaction possible ?

Thanks,
SD
Old 8th July 2016, 20:09   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSD View Post

1. Did you need to carry anything other than the RC Book, PUC, valid insurance and the previous tax token ?

2. As a payment option do we need to pay in cash or are card transaction possible ?

Thanks,
SD
1. That should be enough.You need the copy of invoice of car as well, or else they would consider some random amount to calculate tax.
I had lost my invoice, so mailed my showroom to send a copy and they sent a pdf which was enough.

2. Should be paid by cash or DD. No option for card transaction.There is a SBI ATM inside Beltala rto. I paid through cash.
They would first calculate the amount to be paid for both the options(lifetime/5 year) and let you know.

Best of luck. Please let me know if there was any 'file handling/audit charges' in your case.

Last edited by saion666 : 8th July 2016 at 20:17. Reason: added some additional info
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 20:32   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSD View Post
The due date for tax for my vehicle is Jan next year thus plan to get the activity completed a month or two in advance. Can you please shed some light on the following:

Thanks,
SD
I paid the road tax of my 5 years old Etios Petrol last month for the next 5 years.

The procedure-

My car is Alipur registered but the procedure is same across all RTO's in West Bengal.

I had to submit the original tax token along with a xerox copy of the RC book. Keep the invoice of the ex-showroom price of your car handy.

RTO will calculate the road tax based on the ex-showroom price of your car model. For example if you own a Swift VDI then the road tax will be 5.5% of the ex-showroom price of Swift VDI at Kolkata in 2012. Even if you own a pre 2012 car, the road tax will be calculated based on the ex-showroom price from 2012.

They will provide you with an invoice of the amount payable by you.

They only deal with cash.

You take the invoice and pay it at the counter and you are done.

I was a bit apprehensive at the beginning about how smooth the process will be, so took the help of an agent. Bhpian XetaGlGRocks referred me an agents name & contact. I contacted him. He works across all RTO's in Kolkata. I just had to pay him Rs 800 as his fee apart from the road tax amount. The process was smoothly done.

I am not sure whether sharing an agents name and number is legal in Team Bhp or not. So in case you need his contact, you can PM me.

Quote:
1. Please let me know if there was any 'file handling/audit charges' in your case.
I paid no such charges.

Last edited by Samba : 8th July 2016 at 20:44.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:56   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

I paid no such charges.
The charges are nothing but a ruse to extract as much as they can out of you. As far as I know the "charges" are normally 100/200 taken by the guys when a tout is involved.

I am going to be brave and try to get my Dzire's road tax done without assistance from touts. It expires end of this month so I am going to do it next week.

In 2013 I did manage to get my Estillo's tax renewal done without any additional expenditure.

Considering the difference will be 5k-7k for additional 5 years, I am planning for a lifetime tax as I am no intention to sell my Dzire for the next 5 years and even if I do , its still going to be an asset with lifetime tax paid.
nitishk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 17:32   #74
BHPian

I was able to pay the road tax of my 10 year old car at Salt lake PVD. As much as I have understood, the process is below.

Location: The lane parallel to Wipro in Sector 5, there is ample open parking outside.

Documents required:
1) Original insurance document that is valid currently - something that looks original, printouts and photo copies are not acceptable. If paying in advance, the insurance applicable in future will not help, do carry the current one.

2) Copy of the smart card

3) Printout of the road tax paid earlier (if paid online) or the original tax token.

Step 1: Get the annexure 1 form
You can get the form outside the PVD. A guy sits with a laptop and a printer. He charges Rs 5.

Step 2: Get the insurance updated
You need to go to the Enquiry counter. Someone will check the original insurance and other documents and will update the insurance details in the system.

Step 3: Get to know the amount to be paid
Go to the room beside the stairs (they don't have proper name plates). In my case, those guys were not interested and sent me to the Additional PVD officer. He was a nice guy and gave me the option of 5 year and life time. The life time option was cheaper since mine is a 10 year old car. Write the amount and select the appropriate option on the form (annexure 1)

Step 4: Go to the farthest counter (I think it is no. 1) to make the payment
This counter is open between 10 am - 2pm on weekdays. The guy will take the payment and issue a computer printed acknowledgement. It is as good as a tax token. You can keep photo copies of the paper in the car (in fact, they asked me to keep the original at home)

That's all you need. No palm to be greased and no tout (in fact, no one was even remotely interested in my business).

Generally there are a lot of people and their agents for car registration, driving licence and certificate of fitness. So it may be crowded.

I am happy I was able to do this on my own. Hope it helps team-bhpians associated with the salt lake PVD.

Cheers,
Aroop
Old 16th December 2017, 12:23   #75
BHPian

Hi
Can someone comment how long can one drive an out of state car in Kolkata without paying road tax. I am currently here and planning to get my KA registered car here. May not keep the car here for more than 3-4 months and hence the question.

In KA, the current rule allows for an out of state car to be driven upto a year without local road tax to be paid

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks