Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:06   #1
BHPian

Skoda discontinues base variants of Fabia

Skoda India have silently discontinued the base variants of Fabia. The production of base Active and Active Plus along with mid variant Ambition has been stopped.

New Skoda Fabia Line Up

* 1.2 MPi Ambition Plus
* 1.2 MPi Elegance
* 1.2 TDi Ambition Plus
* 1.2 TDi Elegance

However safety features are still available on top model (i.e. Elegance only). It is clear that Skoda and VW are moving up the value chain.

Source:http://skoda-auto.co.in/ind/model/fa.../Features.aspx and http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/skoda-...ants-of-fabia/

Mods: Please merge to an appropriate thread if required. Thanks
sarthakgupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda discontinues base variants of Fabia

Whatever the action maybe, they are not just getting it right in ringing decent sales figures. A potentially solid car ruined by perceived premium image and A$$ nightmares.

Even this move may not do any good but actually bring down the sales further. They could have followed cues from Toyota and kept a base version with optional safety pack.
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:55   #3
BHPian

Quite a good move, as the Active and Active Plus were really very stripped down. Not even power windows or central locking in the Active. Nobody would've bought them anyway. The sad part is that only the top variant of the Fabia, as in the Polo, gets ABS and airbags. Apparently, Skoda believes the tank-like build is protection enough.
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:58   #4
BHPian

I have heard that Skoda is going to phase out Fabia from Indian market. And they would be concentrating in getting a good hold of market for Citigo.

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 4th September 2012, 10:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

as the sales numbers dip, it makes sense to rationalise the product lineup.

By the way, what happened to the Fabia SCOUT that was being talked about ? Has it been finally launched?
Old 4th September 2012, 11:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
By the way, what happened to the Fabia SCOUT that was being talked about ? Has it been finally launched?
Launched 4 months back.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-79-lakhs.html
Old 4th September 2012, 11:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
I saw one at the showroom for sale, so it was definitely available. I don't think it would have done well given the price difference from regular Fabia.
Old 4th September 2012, 16:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if the 1.6 is still of offer or if that has been phase out along with these changes as well. I did hear from someone a few months back that it would be , they were simply not managing to sell enough of it , quite a shame one of the few big engines that we have available in this segment.
Old 4th September 2012, 16:54   #9
BHPian

I would think it's a good move!

The Fabia numbers are anyway low for base variants (not that it's significantly high for the mid- or top-variants). Maybe the citigo would a be a good replacement at those levels, especially since the citigo will be one of the first from the Skoda fleet not having the 'built like a tank'-build quality as per the recent Skoda announcement.

My only prayer is that they don't kill the brand here totally. Instead, give the market a good diesel plant that can take on the punto/figo. And for those performance oriented buyers, a TSI motor!
Old 11th September 2012, 09:48   #10
BHPian

Skoda set to reduce prices of Fabia and work on reducing the expensive upkeep costs.

Quote:
The firm, which has identified service and cost of ownership as its biggest weakness, is also changing its organisational structure as part of a new strategy devised after a series of meetings with the company chairman at its headquarters in Czech Republic.

"The immediate focus is to create the right organizational set up and changing or rather improving our perception (in the marketplace) on cost of ownership," Sudhir Rao, MD of Skoda Auto India, said. "An all new highly localized Fabia will be cornerstone of that strategy," he told ET.

... It is expected to make or source 80%-90% of its parts in the country. At present, the localised content in Fabia is about 50%. Skoda's owner Volkswagen has already announced plans to build an engine plant in the country.

Rao says the new Fabia will be very competitively priced and the company expects to sell 75,000-1,00,000 Fabia cars a year. .....

To address the cost of ownership issues, Skoda recently appointed Charles Stroud, a veteran in after-sales service, as head of after sales.....

"Right now, the focus is on service, sales and marketing in that order, as we build our portfolio," Rao said.
I have only one thing to say - All Hail Competition!!!!!!

Link:http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16345128.cms

Last edited by sarthakgupta : 11th September 2012 at 09:50.
Old 11th September 2012, 09:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

I know that VW has discontinued Polo 1.6. Is Fabia 1.6 also stopped?
Old 11th September 2012, 10:54   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Fabia 1.6 also has been discontinued. I enquired about this at the Skoda showroom during my Fabia TDI test drive. He said the last Fabia 1.6 was sold last month, and they have stopped receiving Fabia 1.6 stocks after July. That marks the end of the petrol hot hatches.
Old 11th September 2012, 11:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
In the report by Motorbeam they have specified that Skoda has also discontinued the Fabia 1.6.
Old 11th September 2012, 12:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am sure the Skoda Fabia rear seat is a better place to be in in for tall passengers rather than the sloping roof Rapid rear seat and resultant compromised head room. So the Fabia has it's place in India and so does the Rapid. All the latest offers are on Rapid, they have some 9999 offer or such, but there seems to be no offers on the Fabia. Are they missing a trick or two here ? The Rapid cabin does not really suit every type of buyer and that's where the Fabia should ideally step in.
Old 12th September 2012, 17:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think the rapid needs it more right now , but even if there is no offer out i am sure the dealerships would be happy to negotiate .

"Rao says the new Fabia will be very competitively priced and the company expects to sell 75,000-1,00,000 Fabia cars a year."

Wow! That's quite a jump - from selling 30,000 cars in total in 2011 they are aiming at tripling that in just the sales of the Fabia - translated that means about 8,000 a month. Far cry and very ambitious given the numbers right now.

Also i hope that localization is not going to bring down the build quality of the car either - thats one of the strong points for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
All the latest offers are on Rapid, they have some 9999 offer or such, but there seems to be no offers on the Fabia. Are they missing a trick or two here ? The Rapid cabin does not really suit every type of buyer and that's where the Fabia should ideally step in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks