Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:00   #16
BHPian

Re: That car you never thought you'd end up buying!

My current car, the swift Zdi.

Why? For starters, when i was searching for a hatch, swift was never in the picture. Wifey was dead against it as she had been driving the older model swift. besides, we were not considering a diesel and were sold on the Jazz.

Booked Jazz, flooded car, re-launch, cancelled and lots more drama later, along with spiraling petrol prices, went for a swift test drive. Loved the new interiors, the driving pleasure. Booked one and haven't regretted.
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

It was the Fabia for me , it was never in my consideration set till the last few weeks of the decision making process. In fact , the first time i saw the Fabia was 1 year before i bought it (the older design) , we happened to be in front of one of the showrooms and decided to take a look and i came away very unimpressed , add to it the stories on after sales etc and it looked like a lemon!

we then went on to buy my wife a Ritz , the Fabia did not feature at all in the consideration set , and when we decided to delay the purchase of a big car (the new Verna) , i was resigned to an i20 - a few days later the Fabia hit the list ( thanks to the many excellent write up's present here and the advice pouring in from fellow members and fabia owners) - and then it simply beat everything else in the context of what i was looking for , coincidentally the new design was out resulting in better pricing , better exteriors and the car just grew on me and that's what i went with in the end

Almost 1 year of ownership now and i am pretty happy!!
Old 3rd September 2012, 21:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Its the VW Polo Tdi for me. When we were looking for a hatch last year, this car was never in consideration thanks to the price.

Swift and Punto 90 were the top contenders, thanks to the never ending wait and Fiat being ruled out I ended up with a Polo diesel after VW offered discounts on 2011 models. Its troubled me a lot in the 6 months i've owned it, I just hope it remains reliable from now.

It may be noisy and under-powered but somehow feels better than some of the other cars in the market. If I look at the bigger picture, i'm happy with my decision
Old 3rd September 2012, 21:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Ford is topping the list.

We have been using only Jap/Korean cars all these years and never ever thought we would trade a Korean for an American.

Thanks to the ever rising fuel prices and our increased usage. Had to get rid of the i10 within 3 years of purchase and with less than 8K Kms on the ODO.

That made way for the Figo to enter our garage. A decision that we would never ever regret tho'.
Old 3rd September 2012, 21:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

It is a perfect thread for me.

I never thought that I will ever by an Alto and I never gave Swift any second glance before I bought it.

I always hated the first gen alto and thought that it is the deformed, disproportional, ugly and under powered version of the jellybean zen. But as luck would have it my 800's engine seized abruptly when I could not afford anything better. Got Alto Lx in 2005 and loved it for 5 years and 60k kms before I exchanged it for Alto K10.

Somewhere in 2008 I needed another car for my better half in 2008. I did a lot of search and TDs for cars of range of Estilos and Wagon R but she never liked any of them. SA advised me that since there will not be much difference in EMIs, I shall try a swift. Wife agreed instantly on the condition of getting Swift for me and passing on the Alto to her. I bought it without a TD and drive her now with same excitement till today.
Old 3rd September 2012, 21:48   #21
MAS
Senior - BHPian

My Ford Endeavour.

Was busy hunting for a pre-owned Fortuner when one fateful Sunday, I chanced upon seeing a well maintained Ford Endeavour run 2.31 Lakh kms. This was the first time I saw an Endeavour next to a Fortuner. I was floored by the Endeavour, a SUV that had never crossed my mind till that moment.

One thing led to the other and three days later I brought home a pre-owned Diamond White Dec 2010 Endeavour run 19 K kms.

I have posted the review of this wonderful SUV on this forum here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...automatic.html
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 22:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

TATA NANO

I always thought of nano as cheap and underpowered product, untill i took a TD and was impressed by the space and engine capability.

10K down the line , i am a happy nano owner
Old 4th September 2012, 00:30   #23
BHPian

Swift Dzire - with its Ugly Boot design , when it got released i was cursing it seeing a bill board 5 yrs back. within 3 months when hunting for a new entry sedan in the market for my brother's marriage and ended up with a Dzire, do not regret it except for the fact I was keen on buying The Ford Fusion at that time !

Cheers
Old 4th September 2012, 09:02   #24
BHPian

The Estilo does not figure in any list anywhere. When we were looking for a hatch 4 years ago, TML Vista was the top contender. Estilos were hardly seen on the road.

However, it does have a good amount of boot space, a chiller AC and decent drive characteristics. 4 years later - I see a significant increase in Estilos on the road - at least in Pune.
Old 4th September 2012, 10:04   #25
BHPian

I always wanted to buy Scorpio vlx AT. Nothing less or even more
But I ended up jumping segment to buy a butch - a red hot Cruze. Not regretting a teeny weeny bit, though Scorpio Test Drive indeed broke my heart big time.
Old 4th September 2012, 10:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
But I ended up jumping segment to buy a butch - a red hot Cruze.
Rahul mine is also similar pattern , except for the fact was in market for Linea T-Jet. The Pandit Automobiles stafff ensured to look away & give the beauty a miss.

In retrospective, no complaints as ended up in White Chevy Cruze. A more powerful, beautiful muscle car and Diesel on top (with 4L overbudget)
Old 4th September 2012, 10:23   #27
BHPian

Had my heart set up for the Swift (1st gen) when it was launched (in 2005 if I recall correctly). However petrol prices were a thorn even in those days so ended up buying a taxi (Indica DLG), which never even was given a thought - forget a test drive. Was the butt of all jokes amongst friends. It served me very well (almost niggle free) for 60k that I drove her.
Old 4th September 2012, 10:30   #28
BHPian

Nice topic,

For me, it was Fiat Palio 1.2 petrol. A close friend of mine was about to sell his Palio due to Tata A.S.S issues and low FE. I also had heard of may horror stories of being stranded on highways due to non availability of spare parts OR service centers.(Infact I was once stranded on Mumbai-Pune Express way due to radiator hose rupture and engine over heated.)

But, one ride in the car and I fell for it. I got it despite all the negative feedback and had it for about 2 years before I moved on to Honda city. Palio is, was and will be a great drivers' car.
Old 4th September 2012, 10:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

I was never keen to buy a Ford Fiesta and had my heart totally set on the Chevy Aveo since it had more gizmos than Fiesta. But a couple of test drives of Fiesta made my mind & brain go totally Fida over Fiesta. Have never ever regretted the decision.
Old 4th September 2012, 10:34   #30
BHPian

The Liva !

When we were hunting for a sedan last oct i absolutely hated the etios for its interiors and bought a city.

Fast forward to Feb 2012 and i ended up buying a liva, with the slightly refreshed interiors. Why so? Because it comes with ABS/Airbags, its VFM, its a Toyota, its got great interior space and the engine? Its to die for !

Most Viewed