Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 15:54   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda may postpone launch of new Civic, discontinue Accord in India

I'd say discontinuing the current Civic and not launching the new one was a good move. Let me elaborate.

The current Civic sales have taken a hit for the worse with the increase in petrol prices. So it wasn't really making Honda any profits.
And the brand new Civic has been launched internationally and doing very well in sales.
So i guess Honda's rationale for not launching the new Civic is that it would become another market dud (for example like the Mitsubishi Cedia) if launched now with the petrol engine.
So I feel their strategy is to perfect the 1.6L diesel engine they showcased earlier and launch the Civic with that engine.
And plus we all might have seen the scoop video of the diesel Brio in testing. And the same 1.6L diesel in a lower state of tune for the City will be apt.

I honestly dont know what they intend to do with the Accord and CRV. Unless they have started developing a higher displacement diesel engines for them, I dont think they stand a chance in our present market scenario.
Old 17th September 2012, 17:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

I do not thinh, the 1.6L Civic is far away. Honda are headed to Paris Motorshow with the 1.6L Civic hatch. Here, is Indiancarsbikes article on the same:

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/2...o-paris-62028/

Hopefully, this will be tested & introduced in the sedan as well & launched ASAP.
Old 17th September 2012, 23:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I do not thinh, the 1.6L Civic is far away. Honda are headed to Paris Motorshow with the 1.6L Civic hatch. Here, is Indiancarsbikes article on the same:

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/2...o-paris-62028/

Hopefully, this will be tested & introduced in the sedan as well & launched ASAP.

Can this 1.6 L Diesel handle Indias Diesel? Wasnt the quality of fuel an issue and the reason why honda didnt launch the engine in India?
Old 17th September 2012, 23:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:

True Honda plans to bring the diesel engine in the Civic to India in late 2013/early 2014 but whether that will be the 1.6 L i-DTEC remains to be seen. Currently the Brio diesel features at the top of Honda's priority list for India. In all likelihood, that will be a 1.4-liter oil burner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Can this 1.6 L Diesel handle Indias Diesel? Wasnt the quality of fuel an issue and the reason why honda didnt launch the engine in India?
No I do not think so. I think it could well boil down to the cost implication of deploying the 1.6L i-DTEC in India. In fact, there is talk that Honda is developing a brand new 1.5 L diesel for India. A 1.4L/1.5L diesel engine assumes much significance and makes a lot of sense for the Indian market since we have a mandate that diesel small cars cannot exceed an engine capacity of 1.5 L in order to qualify for the excise duty cut that cars under 4 meters currently enjoy.
Old 18th September 2012, 01:52   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
....And the brand new Civic has been launched internationally and doing very well in sales....
Do you mean to say the new Civic is doing good internationally? Sorry, but it's NOT!! It's been a terrific disappointment overseas including US, Middle East etc! The Honda head recently even apologized to the public for NOT making an interesting product like previous gen Civic.

You might also want to know that the new Civic is already on the operation table & undergoing some major surgery. Guess this is the first time in the history of Honda [or may be all manufacturers] that such a new product is due for a major refresh! I guess that's why Honda doesn't want to launch it in India now. We most probably will be getting the refreshed version only!

Between, I have driven the latest Civic in the middle East for short bursts!
Old 18th September 2012, 12:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I believe there could be a detuned version for India, unlike the 2.2 DTec, where they could not do much with the engine for some unfathomable reasons. Moreover, if they need to survive in India for long Diesel is a must, lest they will be remembered in folklore as freely revving, smooth engines with excellent petrol fuel economy.
Old 18th September 2012, 13:11   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Moreover, if they need to survive in India for long Diesel is a must, lest they will be remembered in folklore as freely revving, smooth engines with excellent petrol fuel economy.
Free revving alright. Fun to drive also agree with. But I do not agree with "excellent fuel economy" part with Honda. I have never heard any Civic users gushing about the fuel economy of the car. It gives on an average 8 km/l in the city and 11 -12 on highways if mildly driven. In bad traffic, the city crawl can drop to 6 km/l. How is that excellent?

I say this because I own a very well maintained Civic with averages mentioned above and I know innumerable Civic owners who vouch for the same consumption figures.
Old 18th September 2012, 13:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Free revving alright. Fun to drive also agree with. But I do not agree with "excellent fuel economy" part with Honda. I have never heard any Civic users gushing about the fuel economy of the car. It gives on an average 8 km/l in the city and 11 -12 on highways if mildly driven. In bad traffic, the city crawl can drop to 6 km/l. How is that excellent?

I say this because I own a very well maintained Civic with averages mentioned above and I know innumerable Civic owners who vouch for the same consumption figures.
, & you think whatever is there in folklore is 100% truth.

Anyhow, I believe, it it the Corolla which manages 10+ kmpl figures in city, otherwise most of Civic contemporaries give under 10 in metros. Thank you for the information.
Old 18th September 2012, 13:45   #39
BANNED

Quote:
I have never heard any Civic users gushing about the fuel economy of the car. It gives on an average 8 km/l in the city and 11 -12 on highways if mildly driven. In bad traffic, the city crawl can drop to 6 km/l. How is that excellent?
I have an AT and even I am getting better than that. So either I am lucky or things have changed.

One does not expect much better in a 1.8 engined car. My Civic is doing better than my earlier 1.5 Accent MT on the highway.
Old 18th September 2012, 14:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I agree. I have 1 terrifically maintained Civic AT and 1 Accord AT, the cars have never returned more than 8km/l and 6.5km/l. The whole fuel efficiency promise is a lie. I know many other Civic owners who find that their cars are too thirsty.
Engines are great to drive and free revving but certainly not fuel efficient.
Even BMW 523is and Merc E350s return 6.5-7 to a litre. (Petrol)
Old 18th September 2012, 15:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have an AT and even I am getting better than that. So either I am lucky or things have changed.

One does not expect much better in a 1.8 engined car. My Civic is doing better than my earlier 1.5 Accent MT on the highway.
+1 to that. My Civic MT is giving about 9 km/l in city b2b traffic and almost 17kmpl and above on the highway and this is much better than what my humble Esteem returns on the highway.

While I have seen quite a few posts stating that someone owning a car like a Civic does not care about fuel efficiency but I do care about it, in fact very much because I want to extract the best it can offer in a practical situation.
Old 18th September 2012, 16:00   #42
BHPian

Found the website for Civic hatch in Australia: http://civichatch.honda.com.au/. The car looks pretty much like the Chevy SRV. Its got a 1.8 liter i-VTec engine.

The interiors look real classy!!
Old 19th September 2012, 11:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

prices in PKR and pic of the Pak market Civic, recently launched in that market.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda may postpone launch of new Civic, discontinue Accord in India-b.jpg  

Honda may postpone launch of new Civic, discontinue Accord in India-c.jpg  

Honda may postpone launch of new Civic, discontinue Accord in India-.jpg  

Last edited by nickatnite : 19th September 2012 at 11:09.
Old 19th September 2012, 14:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
prices in PKR and pic of the Pak market Civic, recently launched in that market.
Where are the Civics sold in Pakistan made? Thailand ?
I dont think they could possibly have a production facility in Pakistan given the size of the market.
Old 20th September 2012, 05:09   #45
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur

Where are the Civics sold in Pakistan made? Thailand ?
I dont think they could possibly have a production facility in Pakistan given the size of the market.
Actually, Honda do have a production facility in Pakistan, though I'm not sure whether the Civic is manufactured there, assembled from imported kits or brought in as a CBU.

Honda Atlas Cars Pakistan Limited is a joint venture between Honda Motor Company Limited Japan, and the Atlas Group of Companies, Pakistan.

The company was incorporated on November 04, 1992 and joint venture agreement was signed on August 05, 1993. The ground breaking ceremony was held on April 17, 1993 and within a record time of 11 months, construction and erection of machinery was completed. The first car rolled off the assembly line on May 26, 1994. Official inauguration was done by then President of Pakistan, Sardar Farooq Ahmad Khan Leghari. Mr.Kawamoto, President of Honda Motor Company Limited Japan was also present to grace the occasion. The company is listed in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad Stock Exchanges.

Source: http://www.honda.com.pk/pakistan/index.html

Honda Atlas seem to be the third largest car company in Pakistan with a market share of ~6% behind Pak Suzuki with ~63% and Indus Motors (Toyota & Daihatsu partner) with ~30%, as of April 2012.

Last edited by RSR : 20th September 2012 at 05:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks