Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2013, 18:20   #76
BHPian

The Accord Hydrid is going to end up like the Civic Hybrid. The good part of the new Accord is that it's a pretty looking, so if Honda concentrates on giving India a sensibly priced car with features just enough to do justice to the price tag somewhere in the 20 - 25 lakh (on-road) bracket, Honda can definitely clock decent sales figures. The Skoda Superb is a perfect example!
Old 29th December 2013, 23:52   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda may postpone launch of new Civic, discontinue Accord in India

They need to plonk diesel engines and re-launch the accord and civic. As simple as that.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 00:20   #78

HI All,

Maybe I am a tad too late to post on this topic, but I wanted to know if anybody has any news of new accord and civic launching. I had always been a fan of honda, and specially liked accord, and though I cannot afford a brand new accord, I was contemplating a used one, but with accord and civic completely discontinued, I am skeptical, whether buying a used accord would be a wise thing to do.

Also went through the post of fellow BHPians, and I guess all of us are of the same opinion that this has been a baffling move by honda. We all know Maruti and Hyundai have a perception of being the mass vehicle manufacturers, a tag that though augurs well for their volumetrics does not give them the edge in the premium D segment. Thats evident from their sale numbers of Kizashi and Sonata. That leaves us with Passat, Superb, Camry and Accord in the D segment, within which I felt ACcord and Superb were the forces to reckon with. Camry was way too simplistic for a D segment vehicle and Passat was hugely overpriced. And If I as a layman understand that I fail to see how Honda missed this Simple thing. Their real competition was only one and that was superb. I am Sure honda could have handled that much competition instead of shying away like they have now.

Similarly I always felt Civic was a notch above its competitors, where Altis was again Mundane, Jetta was overpriced, as was Laura (new Octavia was yet to be launched when civic was discontinued).

And Now honda's offerings are Brio (In a space overcrowded by everybody but for the 3 germans), Amaze (A Sedan on Brio's Skeleton), and now mobilio (an underpowerd minivan). I am totally at loss to understand why Honda with its such a fine stable of premium vehicles to compete with the best in the world, decide to discontinue all of that and compete with the marutis and hyundais where they dont even enjoy the competitive edge. Moreover with the ever growing middle and upper middle class in india, easier financing schemes, and hugely aspirant young indian generation, Honda's sales figure had only one way to go and that was up.

An extremely Disappointed and Baffled Honda Cars Fan :(

P.S - Looking an answer from the experts on my question still. Should I or should I not think about purchasing a used accord. When i say used I mean 2010 and above.
pmbdcoe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 08:31   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbdcoe View Post
I was contemplating a used one, but with accord and civic completely discontinued, I am skeptical, whether buying a used accord would be a wise thing to do.
If you are a hardcore Honda fan, go for it. It's true that the spares are taking a lot of time to arrive even in authorized dealerships, but you should be able to find a competent independent garage to maintain the car. Given that you are looking at a post-2010 example, you shouldn't be having any problem in terms of service or maintenance. All things considered, Hondas are extremely reliable.

A piece of advice though - However tempting it might be, avoid the super-powerful but gas-guzzling Accord V6 (If you are in the market for a pre-owned Accord, let me warn that this thought will strike you atleast once).
Quote:
I guess all of us are of the same opinion that this has been a baffling move by honda.

An extremely Disappointed and Baffled Honda Cars Fan :(
I was, and still am, as baffled as others in the forum on what seems to be a stupid move by Honda. But the fact is, with their petrol-only lineup, they were going nowhere. With the petrol engines making a strong comeback of late, Honda might be forced to reconsider their decision. Who knows, the next-gen Civic and Accord might find their way to India!
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 10:58   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post

A piece of advice though - However tempting it might be, avoid the super-powerful but gas-guzzling Accord V6 (If you are in the market for a pre-owned Accord, let me warn that this thought will strike you atleast once).

!
Thanks for the advice. I was anyways thinking 2.4 MT. V6 mill is way too powerful to drive on indian roads howmuchever i love that engine . And off course MT because I love the response from any manual versus an automatic. I have driven automatics, and its just not half the fun of a manual.
pmbdcoe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 13:11   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have driven automatics, and its just not half the fun of a manual.
Pls drive a good condition Accord V6 and you will change your opnion about automatics. That thing is a wolf in sheep skin. Before other cars driver is fumbling with manual 3rd gear, V6 will be gone in horizon.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 09:39   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Pls drive a good condition Accord V6 and you will change your opnion about automatics. That thing is a wolf in sheep skin. Before other cars driver is fumbling with manual 3rd gear, V6 will be gone in horizon.
You might be right, since till now my limit unfortunately has been the 1.2 ltr engines. So a 3.0 ltr V6 automatic might be a different ballgame. My statement was based on my experience .

BTW any thoughts about the superb AT?
Old 7th September 2014, 12:03   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You might be right, since till now my limit unfortunately has been the 1.2 ltr engines. So a 3.0 ltr V6 automatic might be a different ballgame. My statement was based on my experience .

BTW any thoughts about the superb AT?
Skoda? If you are willing to take chances and bold enough to take the plunge despite so many horror stories of Skoda, then go ahead. I, for one, prefer Japanese. Plus with fuel price difference narrowing down, I strongly feel you should pick up a good Accord V6 which are selling for a song in used car market ( to the delight of our kind ), thanks to our skewed fuel pricing policy. Just the heck of owning a V6 in itself is a strong reason. I think it will be the last of the V6 breed with engines getting smaller and with power-sapping (intially) turbos being added.

Accord V6 has neither turbo nor DSG gear-box. But what it has is displacememt, 6 cylinders and 220 BHP / 290 Nm torque which is enough to propel this car to dizzying speeds in the blink of an eye. And it does.
Old 7th September 2014, 12:12   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
HI All,

Maybe I am a tad too late to post on this topic, but I wanted to know if anybody has any news of new accord and civic launching. I had always been a fan of honda, and specially liked accord, and though I cannot afford a brand new accord, I was contemplating a used one, but with accord and civic completely discontinued, I am skeptical, whether buying a used accord would be a wise thing to do.
The all-new Accord might come in by the third quarter of 2015.

Related thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rd-2015-a.html

The Civic has been discontinued for good. According to the VP of Honda Cars India, Jnaneshwar Sen:

Quote:
Civic is not being revived because the segment it plays in is showing no signs of growth, he pointed out.
Details in my post here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3493164
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 13:18   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Skoda? If you are willing to take chances and bold enough to take the plunge despite so many horror stories of Skoda, then go ahead. I, for one, prefer Japanese. Plus with fuel price difference narrowing down, I strongly feel you should pick up a good Accord V6 which are selling for a song in used car market ( to the delight of our kind ), thanks to our skewed fuel pricing policy. Just the heck of owning a V6 in itself is a strong reason. I think it will be the last of the V6 breed with engines getting smaller and with power-sapping (intially) turbos being added.

Accord V6 has neither turbo nor DSG gear-box. But what it has is displacememt, 6 cylinders and 220 BHP / 290 Nm torque which is enough to propel this car to dizzying speeds in the blink of an eye. And it does.
I was asking about superb purely from the reviews I read here as well as the sales figures of superb. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html
I do have heard of pathetic after sales and service and spares that might rob you of a fortune in the case of skoda. But i was inquiring about it purely from the perspective of a car. But yeah if I have to purchase one, then these are also parameters one should look at.
Old 25th September 2014, 21:50   #86
Team-BHP Support

The old Honda Civic website still seems to be live, but made to redirect back to homepage. Can anyone confirm if its the old car indeed, with the specifications?

Here's a screenshot just when it started loading - but was soon redirected to Honda India home page.

URL - www.hondacarindia.com/civic/specifications.html

Honda may postpone launch of new Civic, discontinue Accord in India-civic.jpg
Old 10th November 2014, 17:40   #87
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if this is the right thread,but this just got imported into India.A diesel Honda Civic with the 1.6L iDtec engine for "R&D purposes".
Attached Thumbnails
Honda may postpone launch of new Civic, discontinue Accord in India-civic.jpg  

avishar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 19:29   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I am not sure if this is the right thread,but this just got imported into India.A diesel Honda Civic with the 1.6L iDtec engine for "R&D purposes".
, can we see the diesel civic back. Hope sooner.
Old 11th November 2014, 14:59   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
This is indeed is a good news. I have been searching for a D1 segment sedan for quite a while now. The choices in this segment are very limited. I was inclined towards Jetta 1.4 TSI. I test drove it for couple of times. The engine is a gem but rear seats are not meant for 5 people. Middle seat is good only for a kid and that too for a short distance. Octavia looks good but dealership experience in Ahmedabad is pathetic. Corolla seems to be the only sensible choice and monthly sales figures are proving it.

I have been a great fan of Honda and think they have missed a trick by not launching 9th generation Civic here which was launched in the year 2011. I believe they plan to come out with diesel engine and that will not happen until they are ready with 10th Gen Civic. There is no sense in launching a new car when it is due for replacement in near future.

This import seems to be for testing purposes. Recently Honda has been replacing its model range every five years and seems that they are preparing for launch of 10the Gen Civic in India may be in late 2015 (wishful thinking!) or 2016.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic
Old 11th November 2014, 15:51   #90
BHPian

Honda management needs their head examined for not selling Civic Diesel and CRV Diesel in India. Two whole high-margin segments where they have given a walkover to the competition.
chncar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed