Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 22:25   #31
BHPian

Re: August 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thanks for the effort guys. Wonderful thread.

Maruti undoubtedly suffered due to the whole Manesar incident. Not surprised at the drop in sales of Swift, Dzire. Alto sales though is somewhat baffling. Has it run its race or is it at the end of it lifecycle. Maybe the impending launch of new Alto is prying on the buyers mind.

The new Elantra seemed to do the trick for Hyundai. But barring this most of the other models are either flat or negative MoM. Hyundai needs to pull up their socks quickly as once the excitement of Elantra dies down it would be difficult to hold market share.

TML springs in a surprise with Safari and that too with news of all new Storme scheduled to be launched soon. Wonder if the discounts here are too mouth watering.

Good to see Brio & City notching up some gains despite being "all petrol". Surely the "Honda" brand still hold lots of value in the minds of the Indians. It surely has hit the sweet spot in the sub-10 lakh segment especially after the cuts. Maybe the free insurance scheme worked pretty well.
Old 4th September 2012, 23:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

I am wondering about Fiat Nos as in the recent interview Mr. Enrico Atanasio mentioned that the Fiat exclusive dealership has tripled (or doubled) the sales in that city. Maybe its the proverbial back step before the leap.
Tata Aria - 39, Linea -75, A-Star - 114 and Alto - 10488 are simply too shocking.

Suggestion : In Body Style Distribution table, if a new column 'Price Range' is inserted between 'Segment' and 'Body' which can show the price range or the average price of each car (in that case the column heading should be 'Price'), then it would make the chart complete and the reader can have a better idea of each car's potential.
Old 5th September 2012, 00:02   #33
gemi_kk

Excellent!!!

Duster sales are amazing.....
What would happen, if a rebranded duster is launched from the Nissan's portfolio? Nissan would overtake Renault for sure.....

They are competing against each other and moving up the charts step by step. Clearly they are dusting the charts and showing others how to run a company.

VW might be taking some lessons from Skoda, so following suit.

Fiat..... Only god can help. Recently they were charged with 400 Cr fine for evading tax. They never made any huge profits (Like Japs) their main products GP and Linea sold < 450 having the national Engine in hand. What would happen if they had only petrol portfolio?

The way the things are turning around is amazing... Thanks GTO for the charts...

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th September 2012 at 01:23. Reason: Please read the note in your post carefully, thanks

Old 5th September 2012, 01:31   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
much awaited update GTO, thanks!

GM screwed up on the new Cruze pricing and its gloriously obvious on the sales. a 32% decline clearly indicates that Cruze is clearly lagging when it comes to expectations from customer. Looks like Elantra will decimate the entire segment, including Corolla.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
GM ignored one of the two USPs of Cruze that made it a market hit: its engine and the VFM proposition. Concentrated on the former but totally forgot about the latter.
The VFM gauntlet has now been picked up Elantra in that segment and that's showing in the numbers.
Completely agree with you guys. The only reason the Cruze was doing well earlier was because of the pricing.

With the engine change, the price shot up by 70-80K putting the Cruze on par with the Laura and closer to some variants of the Jetta.

Hyundai carefully positioned the Elantra so as to undercut even the Cruze and now GM are left nowhere.

The new Cruze costs as much as the Laura and the Elantra is lesser than both. Even the Cruze AT which was popular now is the same as the Laura DSG which is a huge disadvantage for GM. The Cruze was the most VFM car in the segment and the pricing blunder has resulted in that advantage being lost to Skoda and Hyundai.
Old 5th September 2012, 08:57   #35
BHPian

Excellent write-up, as usual! I see that the Team-BHP sales analysis is becoming a widely cited one, my relatives who are in the automobile sales field post the charts on their Facebook pages to show-off their products' performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
UVs (MUVs & SUVs combined) had only just overtaken sedans in the Indian car space; they’re now 75% ahead in volume. At 46,810 units, the UV category has also recorded its best month in history.
Here, my personal theory is that UV sales trend is a reflection of consumers' pessimism towards the quality of road infrastructure. Somewhat like "If you can afford it, go for a high ground-clearance vehicle, so that you need not worry much about the pot-holes". Not sure how many of you would agree with this. Large size of average Indian families is also contributing, I guess.
GS300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 09:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Long live (sic!) automobile sales. The 2 lac (approx.) vehicles we are putting on the roads every month, not to mention the heavy tonnage vehicles and 2 wheelers, is beginning to take its toll on our roads, especially the Delhi NCR area. I was stuck yesterday on a 10 lane (believe me) stretch of an highway just opposite Commonwealth games village in Delhi for more than 30 minutes. There was no breakdown, no police check-posts, just plain traffic. I have been on this stretch many times and this is one of those that was supposed to ease things up BUT never have I seen it this bad.

Coming back to relevant matters, it has been a bad month for some manufacturers. Toyota needs to up the ante and breakout from its MUV frame of mind for India. It needs to pump in some enthusiasm in its products with better interiors and exteriors. Skoda, on its part, still fails to regain the customer confidence lost by years of fleecing after sales from its dealers. It needs to go overboard with that single point agenda and it will see its sales growing. Renault Nissan need to be careful not to loose their newly acquired edge just for the same reason as Skoda.
Old 5th September 2012, 10:36   #37
Team-BHP Support

Looking at the Swift's dismal figures (thanks to the Manesar episode), I actually expected the diesel hatch segment sales to be turned topsy turvy last month, with the 10,000 odd Swift buyers shifting to other brands, but it looks like that hasn't happened at all!

Neither the i20 nor the Punto gained massively from the Swift's absence in the market last month. In fact the Punto has fallen drastically, for some weird reason. Fabia, Polo and Beat haven't managed to snatch Swift's market share either. I guess all the people who booked for Swifts are just staying put with their bookings, to wait and watch whether the situation improves.

Fiat needs to pull up its socks, roll its sleeves and concentrate on marketing the brand and cars better. At the moment, it looks like neither is the company bothered about selling/pushing its cars, nor are buyers bothered about looking at the products. Described best as a deadlock situation. I can't for the life of me understand what stops them for marketing/advertising their cars aggressively.

Elantra is one car to watch out for. That is a very decent sales number for a car which was launched just a month back.

I completely agree with GTO about the Etios siblings. It looks like the party is starting to get over for them now. Brand image worked during the initial months, but now it looks like the overpriced cars with pathetic plastic quality and interiors finally woke up customers (no offense meant).

Last edited by KarthikK : 5th September 2012 at 10:40.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 10:38   #38
BHPian

If there is one thing that disappoints me, it is the fact that Team-bhp has completely stopped reporting the sales of brands like BMW, Audi, Merc and JLR. In the early days they were reported. But suddenly, its been done away with altogether. Please try and add those details too.
Old 5th September 2012, 10:39   #39
BHPian

Great review. clean crisp and precise
The most surprising thing for me is that the Vento is doing better than the Rapid. Rapid is the same car as the vento, its cheaper, it has a better suspension and the engine is tuned better. Also we can see that Skoda is really looking at the A S S by trying to have 2 dealerships in every major city to reduce monopoly and improve service.
I guess the reputation that Skoda has created in the past is now coming back to haunt them.
Old 5th September 2012, 10:47   #40
Team-BHP Support

@scuderiamania - I believe Team BHP has yet to get hold of sales figures of the premium brands you have mentioned as well as others. Once it reaches, I believe it shall be duly published. Wait a bit...

Cheers
Old 5th September 2012, 10:51   #41
Team-BHP Support

Its early to comment, but Elantra has taken the lead in D1 segment sedan class.
Lets see if this lead holds.
As usual, the XUV leads. I am quite surprised that nobody else is jumping onto the 12-14L SUV bandwagon.
Old 5th September 2012, 10:52   #42
BHPian

Happy that Renault seem to have found their footing. The Duster is very impressive (though really not photogenic).
The Superb having a superb run, nearly up there with the lower segment Laura.
The shock of the month for me was the Elantra, it really looks awesome, but given the segment it is in, either Hyundai have broken through the ranks or it is just new launch hysteria, time will tell.
The success of the verna is inexplicable, it is a nice car but there are competitive alternatives, I just cannot understand the large gap back to its rivals.
Old 5th September 2012, 10:53   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
If there is one thing that disappoints me, it is the fact that Team-bhp has completely stopped reporting the sales of brands like BMW, Audi, Merc and JLR. In the early days they were reported. But suddenly, its been done away with altogether. Please try and add those details too.
Don't blame us, these manufacturers do not disclose their figures
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 11:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
NOTES:
1: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.
This should not be applicable for the D+ segment as their figures will always be low.
Old 5th September 2012, 11:03   #45
BHPian

Excellent report and analysis!

I find this very informative - don't know if our regular magazines like Autocar and Overdrive report with such depth. The issues that I have read do cover a few of these figures but I think this has good depth.

I believe that the Auto industry is a good barometer on how the economy is doing in general - these reports help us understand it in more detail.

Reading these monthly reports is now a regular activity for me. Keep it up GTO!!

Thanks.

Most Viewed