Old 5th September 2012, 11:35   #46
BHPian

Re: August 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Don't blame us, these manufacturers do not disclose their figures
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Is there absolutely no way of convincing them? I mean, it can only be good for them. With fast growing sales figures of such brands, highlighting them would only increase their popularity i guess. Anyway, if they don't want to tell us about their growth story, its their loss.
An year ago or so, BMW used to sell between 700 - 900 units / month.

Not sure how not disclosing how much they sold helps them! In fact, it might create a negative impact for the buyer. Simply put, I might read it as poor sales / less than expected sales and that is why they reject to reveal the numbers.

Thanks,
C_
Coolman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 11:37   #47
BHPian

Thanks GTO for detailed analysis!

While Mahindra is 4th in terms of sales figures, if we look at the margins, believe Mahindra would easily overtake Hyundai and Tata, as all their products are high value and high margin ones (example, heard from an internal source that an XUV costs less than 6 lakh to manufacture, if that is the case one can imagine what would be the costs/margins for older products Bolero, Scorpio, Xylo). With sub 4-meter Xylo to be launched Mahindra would only strengthen their position.

Good to see Renault/Nissan doing well.

Being a FIAT owner I can't say how proud and satisfied I am with FIAT product. It has wonderful products, still FIAT continues to disappoint with sales. FIAT Management and Marketing is solely responsible for disappointing show. Heard a new Head for FIAT India has been appointed. Few months got an e-mail about plans to setup new dealerships, since then wonder if/what they are doing.
Old 5th September 2012, 12:29   #48
BHPian

The Elantra success story (may be premature but the trend is good) shows that manufacturers should focus on packaging cars well.

The Jetta is a better car but lacks features that are standard on the Elantra. Wake up VW...
Old 5th September 2012, 13:11   #49
BHPian

Wow, this thread should be one of the ready reckoner for any management team in the auto industry. I am sure a lot of the industry guys use it as a reference in sales analysis and strategies.

Our country is simply obsessed with SUVs. Renault would never be in an average buyer's shortlist before it launched the duster, and now every one is talking about Duster. I think the product range (7-12 lakhs) added to our SUV obsession , the same trick that worked well for verna. You can attract buyers from different segments if you position you product in a wide range.

What a whopping gap in D1 & D2 Segments!! XUV sells 3979 units and the next best performer is Corolla with just 492 units. Similarly the Forturer sells 1289 units and the next best thing is the pajero sport with 172 units. From a market perspective, there is ample room to grow here rather than fighting it out in the crowded <10 lakh segment. Didn't i mention about the ready reckoner in the starting of this post
Attached Thumbnails
August 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-146152.jpg  

August 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-146153.jpg  

pedalpoint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 13:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the charts GTO and Parry

I have a query regarding the classification of hatches. Shouldnt Brio, i10 be labelled as A2 segment category? I dont think i10/Brio and i20/Jazz should fall in the same segment. Also, shouldnt Duster be classified under Utility Segment?

Regarding the sales, kudos to Renault with their aggressive launches and giving the market what it wants. I suppose sales of Duster and Scala will give them the boost they need.
Old 5th September 2012, 14:49   #51
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sedan 18%
SUV+MUV 32%
Hatch 50%

So if one uses a broad-brush, one can say that for every sedan sold, there are 2 UVs sold and 3 hatches sold.

Sedans definitely seem to be taking it on the chin. Premium hatches are providing almost similar space & features on one side and the new breed of affordable SUVs are eating into the sedan sales from the other side.

How would the sedans fight back?
Old 5th September 2012, 14:59   #52
BHPian

A humble suggestion.
I feel we need to have a crossover segment with the likes of XUV, Duster, Etegra and Yeti in it. I guess this is where the competition would be and surely we could see a large set of people going to this segment in the near future
Old 5th September 2012, 15:24   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
A humble suggestion.
I feel we need to have a crossover segment with the likes of XUV, Duster, Etegra and Yeti in it. I guess this is where the competition would be and surely we could see a large set of people going to this segment in the near future
I think the classification is quite right for now. With the limited players we have, cars like XUV, Duster, Yeti etc. are rightly tagged as SUVs. A buyer normally takes these cars as one segment. For e.g.; if someone is shopping in this segment s/he may have Fortuner and Yeti as the possible options, even though the latter is a softroader/crossover.
And Ertiga anyway is a MPV, not a crossover.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 16:06   #54
BHPian

Awesome report as usual GTO and company. I look forward to this report every month and this is the source for me guiding people for their next buy.

I acknowledge the effort involved in the compilation of this thread and am sure the same is followed by the manufactures as well.

I urge all the manufactures to share their respective sales figures in the interest of the Indian Consumer.

Last edited by Ahmed : 5th September 2012 at 16:07.
Old 5th September 2012, 16:40   #55
BHPian

It is that time of the month again!

Great work as usual GTO and parrys.

Gotta say very very impressive debut performances by the Elantra and the Duster. Renault seems to have hit with magic formula with their compact SUV on the back of duds like the Koleos and the Fluence. Good for them!

Absolute bloodbath for the Swift and the Dzire - each dropping more 70% volumes from July '12. Hope Maruti can put those plaguing issues at Manesar behind them quickly. Like you said GTO, we need Maruti to lose the 'cold' fast!

The auto industry in India is mirrors our economy so closely, I do hope better times are around the corner soon.
Old 5th September 2012, 16:55   #56
BHPian

Very informative as usual. A lot of folks look forward to this every month and excellent job by all folks invovled in bringing this out.
Am glad to see Honda recovering. The product they have is very refined and durable. Wonder why they are focussing only on City and Brio. Jazz needs aggressive marketting. Was taking to the MD of PCH group and he believes a diesel CRV that is rightly priced is on the cards. This should provide good competition in the D2 segment.
Japanese guys show that the quality stuff still rules the market. Glad to see XUV continuing the lead as well.
Old 5th September 2012, 18:24   #57
BHPian

Thanks GTO & Parrys for figures, charts & analysis.

Was anticipating i20, Figo, Polo, Micra, Punto, Fabia gaining (in that order) from production issues at Manesar.
Nothing of that sort has happened. Swift/Maruti loyals are seriously loyal folks.
I wonder what would be the waiting period of Swift/Dzire now, it must easily be more than a year.

Why is i10 losing its ground. I remember it consistently used to sell more than 10K a month about 6 months ago.

D2 segment looks interesting. Avg monthly sales of around 2k of which 60% is Fortuner & balance 40% (800 nos) shared by 17 products. Are these manufactures making any money here.

Sad to see FIAT numbers. Waiting for their exclusive dealerships facelifts/new products go live.

Honda City has maintained its supremacy over Vento.
Apr-Aug period, petrol only City (11478 nos) leads by 1678 over petrol+diesel Vento (9800 nos).

Last edited by S.MJet : 5th September 2012 at 18:39. Reason: Phrase correction
Old 5th September 2012, 20:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Interesting trend of the SUV + MUV thumping Sedans nearly 2:1. The ones that are driving the volumes are cut throat priced , it would be interesting to see how long the auto companies ( and more importantly the component suppliers) can sustain the thin margins . Given the overall state of the financials of the auto component suppliers, this squeeze cannot last too many quarters - either margin has to increase through increase in price, reduction in raw material cost and reduced cost of financing .
Given that diesel usage is even more skewed in the SUV/MUV segment ( as compared to sedans) I guess knives will start sharpening for controlling diesel vehicle sales .For the sake of auto industry and jobs, I hope they increase diesel prices significantly and not resort to a retrograde step such as putting a penal levy on diesel vehicles .
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 22:01   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Audi sale figures in August.

Quote:
The luxury carmaker registered total sales of 726 units in the month of August 2012 that has set a growth rate of 42 percent over the same period last year that stood at 510 units.
http://www.gaadi.com/blog/audi-india...or-august-2012
Old 5th September 2012, 22:02   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the data. Does anyone know what is happening at the VW Chakan plant? It delivered over 11,000 cars (Vento, Polo, Rapid and Fabia) in March but only 5500 cars this month. But they don't seem to want to produce petrol Ventos for months on end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks