Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 17:44   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

August 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

2: A big shout-out to parrys for preparing these beautiful charts & graphs!
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 17:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: August 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

August 2012 Sales Analysis

If Maruti sneezes, the entire auto industry catches a cold. It’s unfortunate that worker issues at Manesar resurfaced, hitting Maruti’s volumes very hard. This episode resulted in the industry recording its lowest ever cumulative sales in over 2 years @ 171,668 units. Despite that, and the subdued market sentiment, 4 manufacturers had a reasonably good August 2012. Details below.

UVs (MUVs & SUVs combined) had only just overtaken sedans in the Indian car space; they’re now 75% ahead in volume. At 46,810 units, the UV category has also recorded its best month in history.

For other manufacturers, a 50K month would mean year-long celebrations. For Maruti, it’s a completely forgettable result. I must add, the company’s labour relations are shockingly unstable for a market leader in one of the most important industries. A damaged manufacturing base saw their production turn topsy turvy. The Alto is made at Gurgaon and should have been unaffected. However, your cheapest product is rarely a priority when times are bad. Maruti clearly pushed the production of other cars. Gurgaon products like the WagonR, Ertiga, Eeco & Omni experienced no hiccups and brought the volumes home, despite 3 of them being petrol-only models. Whatever limited production Maruti had at Manesar was routed to the facelifted Ritz that was launched yesterday. Regular heroes like the Swift & Dzire had their wings clipped due to obvious reason. Maruti recently let word out that it intends to focus on “bigger cars”. Well, ZERO customers for the overpriced Grand Vitara & Kizashi ought to have woken someone up.

Some of that Verna magic must be rubbing off on the Elantra. The Team-BHP Review spoke of the car’s neutral nature. That combined with the snazzy looks, high equipment levels and low pricing strategy see the Elantra take the lead in the D1 sedan segment. Quite an achievement when every other 10+ lakh Hyundai has ended up as a failure. Has the product matured, or is it the brand? I think it’s both. The Verna & i20 are the other Hyundai’s who continue to run while the market walks. On the flip side, the 2012 Sonata is a dud just like its predecessor, while the Eon & Santro are feeling the heat of the economy. Potentially first-time car buyers are sticking to their motorcycles, I suppose.

Tata takes back the No.3 spot from Mahindra, it’s an absolute fist fight in here! The Indica sisters put up a good show, while the cheaper + repositioned variants keep the Sumo above the 3,000 level. The all-rounded Manza is performing way below what it should; proof that Tata’s brand & marketing work against it.

The Bolero, Scorpio & XUV500 continue to dominate their respective segments. It just amazes me how a 15 lakh product like the XUV sells 4,000 units for the 2nd month in a row. It’s equally amazing that Mahindra – and not Maruti or Hyundai – has proven that an economy brand can succeed in the premium segment. Ignore the Verito passing the 2K level. It’s still cheap, outdated and puts people off. The car will be back where it belongs soon.

Toyota was primarily a utility vehicle company in India and, 15 years from the time of entry, its real performers are still UVs. The Innova & Fortuner have a superb August. A matter of huge concern : the sedans & hatchbacks simply aren’t selling as much as expected. Even with a diesel engine option, the Liva can’t reach the 2,000 milestone. The Etios barely manages to outrun the Indigo and hasn’t been able to capitalize on the Dzire’s lack of supplies either. The market makes it obvious that it won’t buy cars on brand name alone.

The Figo makes a noticeable recovery with a ~30% spike over the May – July average. Yet, there is not much else to cheer about at Ford. The Eco-Sport could be the next big thing here, if priced realistically of course.

Chevrolet also has only the Beat (diesel) making its cash registers ring. By gross turnover however, the Tavera might be the most significant product to Chevy. In my Cruze facelift review, I wrote how it’s a mediocre sedan, save for that awesome diesel engine. The market appears to agree while the competition has also upped its game. No surprise that the Cruze has its worst month ever (except for May 2012 when production was being moved over to the facelift).

Honda remains as unpredictable as ever. The City has a decent month at 2,500 cars and, along with the Brio, gives the company ~90% of its sales volume. Strange how the grossly overpriced CRV overtakes the Accord for perhaps the first time and comes within an arms length of the Civic. This shows how flawed their 10+ lakh strategy is. The irony : their sub-10 lakh cars are now all well-priced, but they just aren’t able to move enough metal.

VW wouldn’t have imagined that the nobody’s of yesterday (Renault & Nissan) will be a mere 300 – 400 cars behind so soon. Also, the Renault-Nissan combine has overtaken VW-Skoda. In my books, the Vento is still the C2 diesel sedan to buy, yet the car sold merely 1,500 units (for the 2nd month in a row!!). The 3-cylinder Polo isn’t doing much better either, and has hardly dented the Swift & i20 in the manner it intended to. On the other hand, the Jetta has its best month in 6. Just like the Sonata, the new Passat is a dud as its predecessor was. A sheer genius from Hyundai – Arvind Saxena – has recently taken charge at VW sales. It will be interesting to see what changes he brings.

Renault overtakes Nissan & Skoda, both, and has VW firmly in its sight. The competent Duster is clearly enjoying its USP as the only monocoque (SUV) game in town, even if the higher variants are steeply priced. If the Scala is launched at a good price this Friday, Renault seems all set to overtake VW & Honda. What a difference one quarter – or rather, two relevant products – can make. Renault should forget about the Fluence & Koleos, focussing entirely on the Pulse, Scala & Duster instead.

Nissan has the Evalia just as Renault has the Duster. If priced competitively (read = significantly cheaper than the Innova), the Evalia can make serious inroads into the commercial segment. The Sunny has a decent month, albeit the Micra needs serious attention from its mother. 1,100 units is a flop show by a petrol + diesel hatchback with a 4.xx lakh starting price.

The only manufacturers that Skoda is ahead of are Fiat & HM....that’s not saying a lot, is it? It’s an absolute bloodshed at Skoda. Sure, the Fabia & Yeti have done poorly as always. But even regular performers like the Laura & Superb don’t impress. The Rapid is such a competent sedan and is sold at a VFM price too. It’s unthinkable that the sales should be any less than the more-expensive-and-identical Vento.

Fiat looks like that terminally ill patient whose condition deteriorated even further. HM, well, have its oldest (Ambassador) and newest (Pajero Sport) to talk about. The Pajero Sport is the second best selling Rs. 20 lakh vehicle this month.

Last edited by GTO : 6th September 2012 at 16:28.
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 17:47   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 17:47   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 17:48   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 17:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
VW wouldn’t have imagined that the nobody’s of yesterday (Renault & Nissan) will be a mere 300 – 400 cars behind so soon. Also, the Renault-Nissan combine has overtaken VW-Skoda. In my books, the Vento is still the C2 diesel sedan to buy, yet the car sold merely 1,500 units (for the 2nd month in a row!!). The 3-cylinder Polo isn’t doing much better either, and has hardly dented the Swift & i20 in the manner it intended to. On the other hand, the Jetta has its best month in 6. Just like the Sonata, the new Passat is a dud as its predecessor was. A sheer genius from Hyundai – Arvind Saxena – has recently taken charge at VW sales. It will be interesting to see what changes he brings.

The only manufacturers that Skoda is ahead of are Fiat & HM....that’s not saying a lot, is it? It’s an absolute bloodshed at Skoda. Sure, the Fabia & Yeti have done poorly as always. But even regular performers like the Laura & Superb don’t impress. The Rapid is such a competent sedan and is sold at a VFM price too. It’s unthinkable that the sales should be any less than the more-expensive-and-identical Vento.
You talk about changes and here it is. The prices of the Vento & Polo Highline variants have been slashed! Bluetooth as a festure has been added!

Here's a snapshot of the new prices courtesy economic times.

Herewith is the refreshed price list (all prices ex-showroom New Delhi) Polo
New Price Current Price

Petrol Trendline
Rs 4,89,000 Rs 4,67,253

Petrol Comfortline
Rs 5,38,400 Rs 5,30,200

Petrol Highline
Rs 5,84,400 Rs 6,24,409

Diesel Trendline
Rs 5,99,000 Rs 5,79,255

Diesel Comfortline
Rs 6,48,400 Rs 6,42,000

Diesel Highline
Rs 6,94,400 Rs 7,36,407

Vento
New Price Current Price
Petrol Trendline
Rs 7,29,000 Rs 7,18,376

Petrol Comfortline
Rs 7,75,805 Rs 7,64,831

Petrol Highline
Rs 8,74,805 Rs 8,95,000

Petrol AT
Rs 9,74,805 Rs 9,97,186

Diesel Trendline
Rs 8,44,000 Rs 8,43,308

Diesel Comfortline
Rs 8,90,805 Rs 8,89,659

Diesel Highline
Rs 9,89,805 Rs 10,20,171

You can read the full article @ http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16249142.cms

Sorry about the formatting of the prices. Couldn't copy the table as it is.

Last edited by naut : 4th September 2012 at 18:00.
naut is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 18:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO and parrys for the much awaited thread of the month. As expected Maruti's decline in sales due to non production of their biggest block busters the Swift and Dzire. It is very surprising to see Alto drop to such low levels which is a third of its sales in its hay days. If it is indeed temporary production cuts to accomodate other models then ok, else they have to take some drastic steps to update / upgrade the Alto or bring on another model to flank it (may be the new 800 is the answer).

The only bright spot seems to be the Utility and the C2 segment such as Verna selling in good numbers for an other wise forgettable month. Good to see the Vista and Nano holding fort with some decent numbers but Manza slipping from its past gains. Seems like September would be low as well till the production at Maruti comes back to any semblance of normalcy.

Last edited by girishglg : 4th September 2012 at 18:15.
Old 4th September 2012, 18:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent and timely report as usual. Rating thread a very well-deserved 5-stars.

What a leap by Renault, I must say! Goes to show how a well-priced, sensible and a need-of-the-hour product like the Duster can turn the tables of fortune for a company. From out of nowhere, Renault now has the might of VW & Honda set in it's sights! I believe the Scala should cement this position further, since it is getting good reviews all around as a (slightly) better option than the Sunny, at least external looks-wise.

And at the other end of the spectrum, what a dip for Fiat! In spite of all the hullaballoo of the Fiat Caffes and revamped versions of the Punto & Linea, Fiat is going nowhere unless they do something really drastic to improve their position. Looks like they will end up supplying engines to every other Indian auto company, and just might have to close shop for their cars. A shame, really, because the Punto & the Linea are extremely well-engineered products.

Strange to see a dip in Skoda's sales as well. The Rapid should be their trump card but looks like it isn't working as well as it should. With the festive season ahead, Skoda really needs to pull up their socks and push in some good offers, maybe introduce some novel features in the Rapid as well. Heartening to see VW holding it's own over it's sister concern, with the Vento and Polo racking up decent numbers, albeit lesser than the previous months.

A lesson to learn from Toyota by all - practical products sell, and sell well. The plain-jane Etios & Liva are selling strongly, the Innova continues to hold it's own, even the Altis is racking in good numbers. People still prefer no-fuss ownerships, a major reason behind Toyota's strong showing.

Honda needs to bring in their diesels much sooner than anticipated. At least before Budget 2013, which should be a much-needed shot in their arm. The CNG move might be partly due to Gujarat government's announcement to CNG-ify all cars, or a stop-gap arrangement till their line-ups star the diesels. Either way, judging by the pictures of the Malaysian CNG-ified City, it looks like they will surely make a considerable impact on their City sales.

August 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-421418.jpg

Interesting times for Honda India ahead, now that they have 100% control of their Indian operations.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 4th September 2012 at 18:15.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 18:09   #9
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Excellent work GTO and thanks parrys for the charts.

Ford - Figo seems to have hit a sweet spot (Turbo boost?) with good sales second best to March 2012. New Fiesta & Endeavour, the two cars in my garage, have sold in small numbers. The brighter side of this low sales is the exclusivity i enjoy on the road when driving these rear cars.

Except for Beat & Tavera, nothing has moved from Chevy's factory.

Fiat's lowest sales yet. No way this is going to work for them.

HM-Mitsu - Big joke. What is happening here?

Look at the sales of Duster. Good job Renault. I just hope they are able to maintain the sales when the initial excitement rubs off.
Old 4th September 2012, 18:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Fiat looks like that terminally ill patient whose condition deteriorated even further.
you summed up beautifully GTO . thanks for sharing the result's. FIAT Is More or less like a Patient admitted In ICU With life support system. The Moment you take out that life support , patient is dead. I hope it never happens .

Skoda is a Surprise or is it so that the A S S horror stories has really reached the folks on street .

MSIL got a great hit due to strike. Hopefully they will be back with a bang next month. Just worrying about alto . it has tanked almost to 10 K ( almost half ) and as for as i know they are made in gurgaon plant, which is working normally. ( i could be wrong as well ) .What could be the reason ?

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 4th September 2012 at 18:15.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 18:16   #11
BHPian

It'll be really interesting to see how Renault performs in the coming months. Better dealer network and after sales is what they should concentrate on now.
Old 4th September 2012, 18:17   #12
BHPian

Tata has regained number 3 spot for now, although by a meager margin. They are in need of some serious strategy for Aria, even with the cheaper 4x2 variant the numbers look bad, XUV 500 has won hands down here. When i bought my nano last month i was told that all showrooms have been asked to focus on bringing up the nano sales to the pre launch expected numbers, wonder if this is hurting the sales of other vehicles in their stable.
Old 4th September 2012, 18:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:

VW wouldn’t have imagined that the nobody’s of yesterday (Renault & Nissan) will be a mere 300 – 400 cars behind so soon. Also, the Renault-Nissan combine has overtaken VW-Skoda.

Renault overtakes Nissan & Skoda, both, and has VW firmly in its sight.
Now that is immensely interesting! As a possible prospective Duster buyer, it hits me like a kool-aid flavored bomb to see that Renault is only a tiny fraction behind VW. More interesting is the fact that Renault is a tiny fraction ahead of Nissan, especially keeping in mind that the Sunny is a well-received product which isn't really a newcomer any more.

That is why I think maybe sharing manufacturing facilities might be a bitter-sweet deal for both members of the Renault-Nissan Alliance. On the one hand it makes good economic sense to reap and sow collectively. On the other hand, having to share manufacturing facilities when both have one in-demand vehicle each could be a sharing nightmare. Especially when competing products roll off the same line (Micra/Pulse now and Sunny/Scala in the very near future).

Isn't that the reason why the Duster is seeing such long waiting periods?
snkjr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 18:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot GTO and parrys for the much awaited monthly sales analysis. All the hussle-bussle at Maruti's Manesar plant was the main reason I was waiting for this thread. Wanted to see how market responds to the chaos at the market leader's production facility.
This might be the first month after the launch of the Swift and the Dzire when they didnt make it to the top 20 cars. (The reason to this is obviously known to all of us.) While the steep increase in sales of Eeco left me shocked.
Anyways good to see Tata regaining its number 3 spot. Am also happy about the performance of Renault (obviously the Duster). Hope the new launch Scala helps the brand to establish in the market prominently.
Old 4th September 2012, 18:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

much awaited update GTO, thanks!

Rapid decreased 25%! Despite not having a diesel, and in this petrol market, the City is ignificnatly outselling Rapid or Vento. That counts for something. A well priced Sunny and good looking & well specc-ed Verna is clearly the eladers here. Cut that to the thread here on here: VW adds more features to Vento/Polo , but reduces prices by 30K - clerly customers have benefited.

GM screwed up on the new Cruze pricing and its gloriously obvious on the sales. a 32% decline clearly indicates that Cruze is clearly lagging when it comes to expectations from customer. Looks like Elantra will decimate the entire segment, including Corolla.

Renault hits the jackpot with Duster. Finally!

Most Viewed