Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2012, 12:02   #166
BHPian

Re: VW unwraps the updated Polo & Vento; launched at Rs. 6.94 lakhs & Rs. 9.89 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
Well it required an hell of an effort to get a new car that to paying approx 2 lakh extra.
I asked him not to pay a single pie but the dealer was ready for court battle and my friend was not.
OMG ! Speechless. This tops it all up ! For me, A.S.S is top most priority since it speaks about the commitment both from the manufacturer and dealer to the product. What a beautiful product wasted due to lack of love for machines.

Thanks for sharing your experience on power - i think the i20 is the best in this regard, but the driving experience is lack-luster.

I currently drive a Toyota Corolla, and i wanted a compact car for the bangalore traffic. But i guess, the decision is going to be tough keeping in mind my wonderful experience with Toyota.
Old 19th October 2012, 13:53   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW unwraps the updated Polo & Vento; launched at Rs. 6.94 lakhs & Rs. 9.89 lakhs

Whether one prefers smoked headlights or not, I despise these mere cosmetic changes. They are just marketing tricks.
Quote:
A.S.S is top most priority since it speaks about the commitment both from the manufacturer and dealer to the product. What a beautiful product wasted due to lack of love for machines.
Love of machines might help, but love of, or at least respect for the customer is what would make the big difference.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th October 2012 at 13:54.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 17:01   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP
Overdrive have reported sighting of VW Polo with a TSI badge at the boot. Link to ICB article on the same:

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/v...pending-63704/

It means that those who were looking for a hot Indian hatch could get a modern & efficient engine/ car instead of the heavier (& discontinued) 1.6L engine in the car.
If they happen to launch the tsi as soon as the start of next year, I would be really disappointed, I just got the upgraded Polo one month back.
The car does lack a punch unlike it's counterpart swift. Although it makes it up in the ride and handling department.
A tsi would make it perfect.
Old 20th October 2012, 01:42   #169
BHPian

Polo 1.2 petrol easily delivers 15+kmpl on highway drives & TSI being more frugal, I'd expect it to deliver 17+kmpl on similar conditions.
& If this really happens, the new era of Petrol cars is going to open soon here in India, with other similar launch of Ford 1.0 Ecoboost petrol(in Ecosport) & 1.2 Multi-air in FIAT cars.
Old 20th October 2012, 07:30   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
It was in mysore. The kids doing the service wanted to play and ended up with this.
The worst thing was they took an extra day siting more work left on the car and have worked the night out on the front and got it ready.
They have returned the car like a very normal service. When my friend started to drive back he has noticed that the car wasn't the same. Lack of power, vehicle pulling towards right etc. He got a doubt and started investigating initially they denied it totally.
He has literally investigated like FBI to find this proof.
That's very bad. How did you guys get that photograph?

I stay around the shop floor during service if possible. I have seen many instances where the SAs give the treatment. Not waiting for the check lights to start the car, hard braking all around the floor, or flooring the car every single time.
Old 20th October 2012, 09:09   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
Sure. The source of the information is me! I work for a VW dealer down south.

We will have to order the smoked lamps ourselves, that would be why your dealer does not have it in stock. They won't come as part of an Initial Stock Order (ISO) which is normally dispacted to dealers by the manufacturer whenever new models are launched, since this is only a face-lift.
I tested the Vento yesterday. It is a superb car, the diesel better than the petrol for power and the diesel rattle sounds more like a growl underneath the car and the car hints at a lot of reserve power. Take off from standing still is great.
I wonder why dealers in Maharasthra have collectively boycotted Canteen stores department vehicles. A tortuous process to get them from jaipur depot has to be followed with unknown consequences at the RTO end in Maharashtra.
The Highline Vento is good and the Garmin is like a tantalising freebie. The rear camera juts out at the back and is vulnerable to theft. After all if car emblems can be stolen what is so difficult about parking rear cameras?
I also wonder why the dealer is giving a massive discount on the lower two trim lines but none on the Highline considering precious little has been changed on it!
I am still debating whether to go for the Honda City SMT or the Vento Highline (more expensive by about 40K). The SMT has everything except fog lamps and cruise control and one can hardly use cruise control in India. The Honda petrol engine has a better rep, but the vento has a solid body a good engine and better seating position.

I would be glad to receive comments from the dealer's point of view to the remarks above!
Old 22nd October 2012, 16:17   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
That's very bad. How did you guys get that photograph?
Got from a SA after a lot pleading for more info on the event from them. He wanted his identity not to be disclosed.
Old 22nd October 2012, 18:50   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
I am still debating whether to go for the Honda City SMT or the Vento Highline (more expensive by about 40K). The SMT has everything except fog lamps and cruise control and one can hardly use cruise control in India. The Honda petrol engine has a better rep, but the vento has a solid body a good engine and better seating position.
We purchased the refreshed Vento Highline Diesel in March this year. Prior to this, for the past 14 years, we have been a Honda customer (first a 3rd generation Honda City VTEC and then a 4th generation Honda City VTEC).

I test drove the VW Vento Highline 1.6L Diesel (MT), Vento 1.6L Petrol (MT) and the Honda City V (MT).

The main decision in my case was whether I wanted a petrol or a diesel vehicle. If you want a petrol vehicle, go for the City which beats the Vento petrol hands down in drivability. If you want a diesel, go for the Vento.

If the fuel variant is not a deciding factor, then per my views:

- The face-lifted Honda City looks much better than the Vento in my opinion.
- Resale value of a Honda City is much more than a Vento in the current scenario.
- Coming to the interiors, I feel what Honda City offers is not of practical use. For example, I don't think I will use the cruise control much (Vento does not have this). The sunroof was not a deal breaker for me.
- What I did love in the City which I wish the Vento has are the turn indicators on the ORVM.
- What I love on the Vento are the little highly convenient features such as the remote boot opener, the on dashboard rear view parking visual indicator (I am a big fan of this feature and prefer it to a rear view camera). The Vento feels like a more modern car and the Honda seems aged in the interior aspect. Quality is top notch.
- In terms of sturdiness, based on my Honda experience, the Honda is also an equally safe car. Maintenance is hassle-free. In regards to the Vento, no issues yet (though I have driven only 4,000 kms. My average fuel consumption on the Vento is 14.88 km/l in the city. My Honda used to give me 12 km/l approx.

Coming to service, the service at the Honda dealership was top notch. I went for the City test drive and was offered a Civic test drive I well. I told them I wasn't interested in the Civic and there is no way I am going to buy that but even then the SA still insisted I take a test drive.

The VW service was good as well. I got the test drive immediately. I wanted a TD of the Jetta as well as the Jetta Trendline was within my reach but they said there was no Jetta available for TD and the waiting was 3 months and hence I dropped the plan to buy a Jetta.

Honda offered no discounts, VW was aggressive on pricing and offered a good deal (this was the time the VW once-in-a-lifetime offer was going on).

I got gipped on the GPS system though. At that point in time the website clearly stated that the Garmin Nuvi GPS was an integrated 'Click & Ride' solution which meant it would be integrated with the sound system, powered by the car etc. Hence I bought it and they just mounted it. When I questioned the dealership, they were unaware of the final details and therefore I contacted VW and for months they didn't reply on FB, email etc. Finally, I got a reply and said this is not a 'Click & Ride' solution model and I then showed them the VW page which was later taken down. Also, it has been more than 7 months since purchase but I have not received my extended warranty booklet which was purchased with the car itself and no response on this despite multiple emails.

Therefore, in terms of service, in my case, I felt the dealership was good, but its the company VW itself that is down right lethargic in catering to its customers. Honda on the other hand has always been exceptional in our 14 year relationship with them. We have never contacted Honda once as the dealership has always been empowered well enough to take care of our needs.

Thats my experience so far.
IndianGuardian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 23:35   #174
BHPian

I booked the Honda City SMT finally echoing your thoughts. The Vento Diesel is too good and I think is the best diesel sedan in this class. I am buying petrol as I dont have so much running. Still a better average in Vento is good. Could it be the lower bhp I wonder.
Old 23rd October 2012, 07:58   #175
BHPian

About the Honda City vs. Volkswagen Vento Petrol: I was in the same dilemma. I was also considering the new Ford Fiesta Petrol. I am in the process of booking a Petrol Vento.

I currently drive an Opel Corsa which is soft-sprung. My personal experience is that on highways at high speeds, the vertical bobbing movement causes car-sickness for my son and wife. In my test-drive, I found that Honda City had similar bobbing movement while the NFF and Vento were flat on the same stretch (K.R.Puram to Marthahalli on ORR, if you are familiar with Bangalore). That put me off Honda City.

The rear occupants in my car would all be shorter than 5' 6". So leg and head room is not a problem in either. However, due to the "arrowhead" and "kinetic" designs, the waistline rises which gives a claustrophobic feeling. My wife had to stretch to look out of the window in NFF, while the things get only slightly better in a Honda City. Again, no such problems for short people in a Vento.

I agree with points mentioned by IndianGuardian, with the exception about looks. For me, who likes understated elegant designs, I feel Vento looks best of the three. Vento looks very good in white, but I am booking the shadow blue
Old 24th October 2012, 17:07   #176
BHPian

Quote:
I would be glad to receive comments from the dealer's point of view to the remarks above!

Starting from the bottom, the Vento is most definitely a solid car, no doubt about that. And yes, the Honda's engine gets more brownie points in the street, with good reason. I prefer to do the driving myself while on official trips and I have taken diesel Ventos to most of the major cities in the south. Let's just say that I've done some insane speeds in those cars and the ride was rock-solid throughout.

The City feels light in comparision and depending on your perspective, that can either be a good or a bad thing. And I agree with the fact that cruise control is not very relevant for India. The Honda does have its own merits, not to mention a so-far unblemished track record.

Well getting on to your question about discounts, it's simply because most people are going for the HL Vento, irrespective of whether diesel or petrol. And discounting is a good marketing tool for pushing the sales of the lower trim variants and for enticing potential Polo HL customers to move up a segment.

You do have a point there with the reverse camera being susceptible to theft. Then again so are wheel caps, alloy wheels, tyres, mud flaps and a whole lot of other parts that are accessible from outside the car. If someone wants to steal, he/she is bound to find a way to do it. Isn't that how things work in the world?

Finally, no idea about whether our co-dealers in the west are boycotting CSD sales or not. We don't have much of that in our part of the state, but I'm sure if you write to VW customer care, they'll be able to give you a definitive answer on that.

Last edited by coloneljasi : 24th October 2012 at 17:09.
coloneljasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 17:51   #177
BHPian

Well I booked a Honda SMT - which has no Cruise Control and Fog lamps (the latter I would have fitted if they were not overpriced). Vento diesel is a great car - no question. Petrol is solid too and is the second choice after tried and tested Honda City. Moreover the three monthly service intervals of Honda will take quite a monetary toll! Vento Comfortline needs ABS and Airbags and EBD even if the price goes up a bit. The rear camera actually (being unique in the Vento) is like a juicy picking for robbers and wheel covers etc are not in the same class :-). I would have been tempted to go for the Vento HL if it had the same discounts as the Comfortline in petrol as it has all the features needed....

Last edited by frequentflyer : 24th October 2012 at 17:58.
Old 26th October 2012, 00:01   #178
PPS
Senior - BHPian

There are going to be some more variants for the Polo.
- Polo with 1.6tdi engine
- Polo cross, will be offered with the new 1.5 diesel.

These variants are expected next year. This was revealed in the scoop section of the Autocar show.
Old 26th October 2012, 01:05   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS
There are going to be some more variants for the Polo.
- Polo with 1.6tdi engine
- Polo cross, will be offered with the new 1.5 diesel.

These variants are expected next year. This was revealed in the scoop section of the Autocar show.
Why would VW sell two tdi variants like this? And what is a polo cross? Something like fabia scout?
Old 30th October 2012, 02:16   #180
BHPian

Quote:
I am still debating whether to go for the Honda City SMT or the Vento Highline (more expensive by about 40K).

I just read up on a new Honda City variant namely the 1.5V AVN Sunroof which has in addition to the 1.5V, an all touch screen navigation+bluetooth+CD/DVD player (in-built into the dashboard unlike the Vento), Leather Upholstery, Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel, Leather Gear Shift Knob and the Sunroof.

With the added features and the pricing, it looks like an extremely attractive proposition.

Last edited by IndianGuardian : 30th October 2012 at 02:22.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed