Team-BHP - VW unwraps the updated Polo & Vento; launched at Rs. 6.94 lakhs & Rs. 9.89 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   VW unwraps the updated Polo & Vento; launched at Rs. 6.94 lakhs & Rs. 9.89 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/126019-vw-unwraps-updated-polo-vento-launched-rs-6-94-lakhs-rs-9-89-lakhs-16.html)

:Shockked::Shockked:
VW if you are reading this, please don't spoil the classic looking Polo & Vento.

I certainly cannot imagine a 4 m CS version of Polo/Vento. Since Polo is already 3970 mm, what more can they do with it ?

Secondly the launch plan is after the year 2014, so its a lot of time and market would have matured by then to skip these 4 m CS.

May be they could develop a 4 m CS version of VW Up, but something on Polo/Vento seems too far fetched.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenren (Post 3059886)
...1.2 TSi is definitely going to carry a price premium on the engine, which could be more than the savings they would get with lower excise duty. If there is no price advantage, an ugly CS version is unlikely to attract any buyers...

My guess is they might try to price it decent owing to scale of productivity. We might see this 1.2L being widely used in all cars under 10L in both VW & Skoda stable.

VW Polo
VW Cross Polo
VW Vento sub 4m
VW Vento

Skoda Fabia
Skoda Fabia Scout
Skoda Rapid sub 4m
Skoda Rapid

This is my assumption though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3060053)
My guess is they might try to price it decent owing to scale of productivity. We might see this 1.2L being widely used in all cars under 10L in both VW & Skoda stable.

VW Polo
VW Cross Polo
VW Vento sub 4m
VW Vento

Skoda Fabia
Skoda Fabia Scout
Skoda Rapid sub 4m
Skoda Rapid

Though we are speaking about 8 models here, the total sales from all of them together might not be enough to get any advantage of mass production. 5 of them are already in the market and we know how much they sell each month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3060053)

VW Polo
VW Cross Polo
VW Vento sub 4m
VW Vento

Skoda Fabia
Skoda Fabia Scout
Skoda Rapid sub 4m
Skoda Rapid

Good point, but note that the Fabia Scout is not a sub-4m car. Due to the cladding on the bumpers , its length has increased from the exact 4000mm length of the Fabia.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenren (Post 3060075)
Though we are speaking about 8 models here, the total sales from all of them together might not be enough to get any advantage of mass production. 5 of them are already in the market and we know how much they sell each month.

Very true. I was in fact doing a calculation on that as well. If 1,00,000 units (per annum) is a good scale, then it boils down to each of these variants / models doing a 1050 units every month! :) Looks simple & doable as all the cars in these segments do that many petrol sales on an average.

With a sane pricing, they might achieve it, but with a premium, I don't think they will actually do any good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3060130)
Very true. I was in fact doing a calculation on that as well. If 1,00,000 units (per annum) is a good scale, then it boils down to each of these variants / models doing a 1050 units every month! :) Looks simple & doable as all the cars in these segments do that many petrol sales on an average.

With a sane pricing, they might achieve it, but with a premium, I don't think they will actually do any good.

I don't think 100k per annum might be significant enough, it should be much more to leverage an advantage over the competition. If 100k can give advantage, imagine the scale advantage Maruti would be having with the same K12 engine sitting on Ritz, Swift and Dzire. That is the competition we are looking at.

Off-Topic:
Quote:

Originally Posted by zenren (Post 3060149)
...If 100k can give advantage, imagine the scale advantage Maruti would be having with the same K12 engine sitting on Ritz, Swift and Dzire. That is the competition we are looking at.

For K-Series engines, Maruti India pay huge royalty to Suzuki Japan (basically it's their technology & R&D to develop the K-Series). This was disclosed in some financial reports or so and they say it's hampering the bottom-lines (to some extent) of the Indian division.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3059745)
Mostly the 1.5L TDi & 1.2L TSi from the Polo that would be launched long before this sub 4m long model.

A 1.2 TSI for sub 4 meter Vento with an output of 105 PS, which is same as current 1.6 Petrol (regular) Vento will eat away the sales of the latter. Unless they are planning to stop the 1.6 MPFI altogether on and offer petrol version only to sub-4m Vento. Or they are planning for a 1.2 TSI with a tune of 122 PS (which does not exist as far as I know) or a 1.4 TSI with a tune of 122 PS (in current Jetta) in the refreshed Vento in 2014. And all of these look unlikely. So a sub 4m Vento would possibly have a 3 cylinder 1.2 engine from Polo, if at all.

Mod Note: Sub-4m Vento rumour is being discussed here

Hi just took delivery of my petrol vento highline in the most sought after pepper gray. Drove it back from mumbai to pune. This is the first time i have driven the vento on the highway and felt it was a bit sluggish compared to my laura and fiat 500. However its amazing the amount of stuff that volkwagen has thrown in at this price. The car really has a premium feel compared to the competition.

Before buying the vento i test drove some cars. I loved the test drive of the verna but the interiors i felt were a notch lower than the vento and somehow i would have had to spend almost a lakh more to get the same interior feel as the vento which now has leatherette seats. The new ford fiesta was a blast to drive but its pricing is unrealistic for todays market. The sunny and the scala were just unappealing, though the testdrive was good. I did not consider therapid as for the same price as the vento highline, i was not getting leatherette seats nor steering controls.

Will post some pictures if people are interested, but i think there are too many already cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by the mole (Post 3082624)
Hi just took delivery of my petrol vento highline in the most sought after pepper gray. Drove it back from mumbai to pune. This is the first time i have driven the vento on the highway and felt it was a bit sluggish compared to my laura and fiat 500. However its amazing the amount of stuff that volkwagen has thrown in at this price. The car really has a premium feel compared to the competition.

Before buying the vento i test drove some cars. I loved the test drive of the verna but the interiors i felt were a notch lower than the vento and somehow i would have had to spend almost a lakh more to get the same interior feel as the vento which now has leatherette seats. The new ford fiesta was a blast to drive but its pricing is unrealistic for todays market. The sunny and the scala were just unappealing, though the testdrive was good. I did not consider therapid as for the same price as the vento highline, i was not getting leatherette seats nor steering controls.

Will post some pictures if people are interested, but i think there are too many already cheers

Congrats. I drove and sat in a Vento Highline TDI for the first time ever :p last week and i absolutely concur with you. The car is built so well, the doors close with such reassuring thud, the interiors (though looks dated now) are well put together, the NVH was more than acceptable and it drove pretty well. If it wasn't for the lousy VW network, the Vento was my choice given the current offers. Am just going to hold on for the Amaze else Vento it is for me as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 (Post 3082910)
Congrats. I drove and sat in a Vento Highline TDI for the first time ever :p last week and i absolutely concur with you. The car is built so well, the doors close with such reassuring thud, the interiors (though looks dated now) are well put together, the NVH was more than acceptable and it drove pretty well. If it wasn't for the lousy VW network, the Vento was my choice given the current offers. Am just going to hold on for the Amaze else Vento it is for me as well.

Hi Nilesh I bought the car in Pune from B U Bhandari, I found their service to be really first class, they arranged delivery of the car in three days flat. I was Amazed! But i tend to agree with you that VW service network hasn't picked up at all. But then the car I exchanged for the Vento my 2007 Fiat Palio 1.1 Fiat was totally unsupported by Fiat. :Shockked: I was glad to get rid of it even though it was a good car. You really can't get any worse than Fiat in my opinion. They just drop you like a hot potato. I am extremely worried about the future of my 500.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 (Post 3082910)
If it wasn't for the lousy VW network, the Vento was my choice given the current offers. Am just going to hold on for the Amaze else Vento it is for me as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the mole (Post 3082952)
But i tend to agree with you that VW service network hasn't picked up at all.

Rightly said. Updating models is one thing, but VW should do themselves a favor by trying to manage the current crop of dealers (after sales for e.g.,) and look to expand dealership bases, esp. to reach out beyond urban places. For the awesome cars they make, numbers are appalling.

From the time I test drove the Vento, I was convinced it had the basic thing right, that is needed to feel good about a vehicle, which I drive everyday, rest are details:D. Period.

In final stages of booking a Vento TDI Highline at Moradabad. Dealer has offered final price of 9.90L inclusive of Insurance and 25K discount. Add 46K for Road tax (Uttaranchal Registration) = Final on-road price of 10.36L. Will not be taking the Garmin unit (which is about 25K extra).

Is this a good offer? Any other suggestions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 3091292)
In final stages of booking a Vento TDI Highline at Moradabad. Dealer has offered final price of 9.90L inclusive of Insurance and 25K discount. Add 46K for Road tax (Uttaranchal Registration) = Final on-road price of 10.36L. Will not be taking the Garmin unit (which is about 25K extra).

Is this a good offer? Any other suggestions?

It sounds like a good offer and I really don't think there is any other good contender in this segment at the moment. I too am hooked on the Vento for my upcoming upgrade but the reports coming in of this failing and service guys being cheats and what not is making me hold back. Why can't the Japs put a Diesel in this segment is beyond me. Toyota is a slow coach at new launches if you ask me but never the less Dkaile putting two eggs in VW - Skoda basket. Well it goes to show there might be some hope for this brand after all. Do tell how it goes, more than anything await your review for the same. However I dunno if anything can trump your Superb review but one can hope.

Good Luck