Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 23:22   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW unwraps the updated Polo & Vento; launched at Rs. 6.94 lakhs & Rs. 9.89 lakhs

If you look at it now, the Vento is almost as well equipped as the Jetta. Infact the Vento now gets climate control and bluetooth which the Jetta does not have!!
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 23:40   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
If you look at it now, the Vento is almost as well equipped as the Jetta. Infact the Vento now gets climate control and bluetooth which the Jetta does not have!!
Makes you wonder that similar price cuts/ additional features would be made to the beautiful jetta.
Old 5th September 2012, 23:58   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW unwraps the updated Polo & Vento; launched at Rs. 6.94 lakhs & Rs. 9.89 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
You mean in the creature comforts department right? I thought mechanically the Jetta has a lot more equipment (like traction/stability control etc.). Am I guessing right?
Old 6th September 2012, 00:47   #49
BHPian

Is there any news on whether the lower rate of interest would be available along with the reduction in prices and addition of features.
Old 6th September 2012, 01:25   #50
Team-BHP Support

I was under the impression that VW will update the engines and give consumers a wider range of engine-options to choose from. I guess this will happen once the model is ready for a complete overhaul i.e. an all new generation.

The current engines, although great, are outdated now and are not as refined or as efficient as they ought to be.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th September 2012 at 01:26.
Old 6th September 2012, 06:52   #51
BHPian

I just got the highline a week back. Dealer didnt confirm the new model (obviously). Not bothered about those alloys or black headlaps but new head unit would have been good. No discounts offered except for free insurance on the current model. May be I missed a bit on the bargaining without this information.
Old 6th September 2012, 07:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thanks for the pics.

The alloys look bad, and fragile too. Makes the older Vento alloys look much more understated and classy, IMO. I wonder if these new alloys added to the price cut, as they seemingly look cheap and might not last the distance as the older ones. (like what Honda did to the 2012 City - providing cheaper alloys to the V variant)
Older alloys were classier and were inported,if I am right. They used to cost a fortune as high as above 10K for each one.These new ones may be locally made to cut the cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Smoked headlamps look seriously cool, though. Makes you wonder why VW didn't offer them from the beginning itself - it could have added a few more numbers to Vento's monthly sales till now.
The headlights look cool but no where near the euro spec bifocals.
Attached Thumbnails
VW unwraps the updated Polo & Vento; launched at Rs. 6.94 lakhs & Rs. 9.89 lakhs-polo.jpg  

Last edited by poloman : 6th September 2012 at 07:33.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 07:36   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I was under the impression that VW will update the engines and give consumers a wider range of engine-options to choose from. I guess this will happen once the model is ready for a complete overhaul i.e. an all new generation.

The current engines, although great, are outdated now and are not as refined or as efficient as they ought to be.
The diesel is actually still one of the best around. Only the Verna betters it on performance and refinement.

I was really hoping that they would stop the 1.6: petrol and put the 1.4TSI from the Jetta.

The 1.4L TSI in the Jetta is not going to move at all but in the Vento it may work with very good FE, performance and refinement. The 1.4L TSI put out 120BHP which is already similar to the Verna and just a little more than the City.

If Hyundai and Honda can put in i-Vtec, VTVT and give modern petrol engines why can't VW plonk in turbo and direct injection (TSI) and price it on par. They already have the engine here in the Jetta and even have in the Polo cup car in an even higher state of tune. What's the point in flogging an old 1.6L engine.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 08:32   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Re-posting ex-showroom prices:

I took your post and made the pricing more readable:

VW unwraps the updated Polo & Vento; launched at Rs. 6.94 lakhs & Rs. 9.89 lakhs-vw_price.jpg

Hope that helps.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 08:35   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The diesel is actually still one of the best around. Only the Verna betters it on performance and refinement.
True, unlike the 1.6 petrol, the diesel motor is still going strong. Infact in Europe the same engine is even available in bigger cars like Jetta, Octavia, Superb etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
I was really hoping that they would stop the 1.6: petrol and put the 1.4TSI from the Jetta.
Yes, infact this was their chance to do a proper mid-life upgrade, rather than those countless cosmetic additions/deletions. If not the 1.4 TSI, they should have at least opted for the 1.2 TSI (which is the global successor for the current 1.6). The fuel efficient manners of that engine would have been ideal for those who are still looking at a petrol option.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 08:38   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
IMO, new gen engines and upgrades from VW can be expected in 2014.
That is when the 1.4/1.5TDI Polo too is rumored to be launched.

Cheers!
Old 6th September 2012, 10:03   #57
BHPian

regardless of Volkswagen projecting their vehicles as premium products with superior german technology
they have not been able to make a dent in the sales of Swift or even our home grown automakers
it would make sense for them to climb down the ladder and provision their products as what we Indians think is our birth right ' Value for money'
Old 6th September 2012, 10:09   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Understand that these new prices are likely to be effective from mid-September onwards.

At least in BLR, all the dealers are sitting on 100+ stocks of 'old' Polo and Vento and they are going to sell these at the old prices.

Dealers are not willing to confirm if any changes (at all) have been made on the CL and TL trims! They must be very worried about moving the old stock now :-)

Potential buyers can expect large 'extra' discounts during month-end to move these older models

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th September 2012 at 10:25. Reason: Addition
Old 6th September 2012, 10:16   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surajs View Post
The New Petrol Highline at the VW Cochin. They did not have the Diesel version yet.
@surajs
Thanks for the pics. white looks cool with those headlamps.
Did you check out the new music system with navigation? Any pics of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
surd_biker - I saw the Bridge Model yesterday in Agra and it HAS Alloys.
@vkochar
Did you check the shape of alloys in Bridge model? Lakeside or riverside?
And what about the music system in the Bridge model? Does it have navigation? Rear View camera?

Last edited by surd_biker : 6th September 2012 at 10:17. Reason: typo
Old 6th September 2012, 10:25   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The 1.4L TSI in the Jetta is not going to move at all but in the Vento it may work with very good FE, performance and refinement. The 1.4L TSI put out 120BHP which is already similar to the Verna and just a little more than the City.

If Hyundai and Honda can put in i-Vtec, VTVT and give modern petrol engines why can't VW plonk in turbo and direct injection (TSI) and price it on par. They already have the engine here in the Jetta and even have in the Polo cup car in an even higher state of tune. What's the point in flogging an old 1.6L engine.
Does the 1.2/1.4TSI run as well on normal "Indian" petrol as well or does it require the higher grade fuel? I am asking it as any fuel savings by virtue of higher mileage might be negated by the higher price of the fuel itself. The present 1.6 runs fine on normal petrol. But yes, the performance boost would be welcome.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed