Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2012, 09:05   #211
BANNED

Re: Honda to Launch BRIO Automatic by Diwali EDIT - Clear Pics on Pg 7 & 10

I have had a chew over the information overnight and have come to the following:

1. Brio AT is a 5-speed TC type with an ultra slim TC unit. The override (where engine braking is available) is on 3, 2, and 1. Not on 4. No Paddle Shifter either. So either you have full Auto (D) with 1-5 or overide with only the three lower gears available.

So Honda has save some moolah with this design and the average user will not feel the difference.

2. One issue which has been rqaised is the comparison with the Hyundai 3+1.

Honda has 1-5 on D and 1-3 on Manual Override with engine braking.
Hyundai has 1-4 and 1-3 on D (switch off the OD), and 1-2 on Manual Override.

I have seen my Hyundai hunt on the highway at about 70kph depending on slight variations in the throttle setting and terrain. Honda 4-5 we will have to see.

What are the obvious pluses of Honda are low extra cost of AT (58k or so only), better economy and (hopefully) a better AT unit.

Let us see the scene and then decide. As soon as I get my hands on it for a TD and then my Brio V AT I will post the experience.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 10:33   #212
BHPian

^^^
A good sum-up sgiitk. I look forward to your TD experience.

My wife's Santro AT is 5-years old now and it might be time for an upgrade. I'd especially interested in the real-world FE of the Brio AT - if it manages 15kmpl in city, it would be a 50% improvement over the Santro. And of course I expect the Honda AT to be in a different league in terms of refinement & performance.

Cheers.
Old 5th October 2012, 10:48   #213
Senior - BHPian

Honda will launch the Brio Auto on 18 Oct 12, as per Indiancarsbikes:

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/h...er-2012-62713/

So the 3rd weekend of Oct-12 will be busy one for auto companies, journos & enthusiasts. Moreover, the festival season will bring reason to cheer for the auto sector like always .
Old 5th October 2012, 11:03   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
^^^
A good sum-up sgiitk. I look forward to your TD experience.

My wife's Santro AT is 5-years old now and it might be time for an upgrade. I'd especially interested in the real-world FE of the Brio AT - if it manages 15kmpl in city, it would be a 50% improvement over the Santro. And of course I expect the Honda AT to be in a different league in terms of refinement & performance.

Cheers.
Not even the manual Brio gives 15 in the city! That would be unrealistic expectations.

I'd still expect something between 10-12 depending on traffic and your city roads. As per ARAI ratings, manual Brio is 19 kmpl and Brio AT is 16 kmpl (so down by about 15% compared to the manual one). Most users have reported between 12-14 for the manual Brio.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:07   #215
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
My wife's Santro AT is 5-years old now and it might be time for an upgrade. I'd especially interested in the real-world FE of the Brio AT - if it manages 15kmpl in city, it would be a 50% improvement over the Santro.
I also barely get 10kpl on mine - seven plus years old. I will not expect 15 but definitely 12+ from the Brio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Honda will launch the Brio Auto on 18 Oct 12, as per Indiancarsbikes:

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/h...er-2012-62713/
As posted earlier the period before the 15th is verboten - Pitra Paksha. 18th looks good. Dealers will have cars before then, and some privileged customers will get a chance to have a dekko. Already, there is one in each state capital for the local RTO permissions.

@joslicx; The ARAI figure is a piece of fiction in real terms.

Last edited by sgiitk : 5th October 2012 at 11:08.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:22   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I also barely get 10kpl on mine - seven plus years old. I will not expect 15 but definitely 12+ from the Brio.

@joslicx; The ARAI figure is a piece of fiction in real terms.
I agree sir. Thats why I just did the extrapolation.

ARAI of 19 for the MT translates to 12-14 in real world (read city conditions). Thats what most Brio users report (and ours is even less for some reason )

ARAI of 16 for the AT will translate to 10-12 roughly. I dont expect it to match A* AT.
Old 5th October 2012, 13:53   #217
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
ARAI of 16 for the AT will translate to 10-12 roughly. I dont expect it to match A* AT.
Exactly. we should know soon. Also, I just got a tweet from Hormazd confirming my judgement of the Brio AT shifter. I guess until I get my paws on it that is the last word.
Old 5th October 2012, 14:14   #218
BHPian

Heck, why the Brio? Why can't they put this thing in the Jazz? After all, it is the same engine. If it got into the Jazz, I could have stopped waiting for the Ecosport.
Old 5th October 2012, 14:35   #219
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Heck, why the Brio? Why can't they put this thing in the Jazz? After all, it is the same engine. If it got into the Jazz, I could have stopped waiting for the Ecosport.
Given the sophisticated nature of the AT, I will not be surprised to see it in the Jazz in the not too distant future. Remember Honda has just got rid of SIEL and is busy making a transition from a small scale manufacturer to on with larger volumes, so they may take time to digest this before touching the Jazz. I hear that Jazz X also has queues.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 15:39   #220
Senior - BHPian

Overdrive review of car (http://www.overdrive.in/details/2171...ia-first-drive) puts some interesting figures:

- 0-100 kmph @ 17.1 seconds
- Top speed of 140 kmph (restricted I believe)

But, there are no mileage figures , & as per them the torque convertor is of conventional type (3rd para, last line).

Moreover, the automatic option will be available in S(O) & V variants, & not the S variant. It would be costlier than the i10 by Rs.30-40K if auto is priced higher by Rs.60K, if we compare the feature on offer on both cars.

Additionally, if we consider 2-3 kms difference in real world mileage of Brio (advantage) & i10, you would recover the cost in around 20K kms.

I feel one is better having the A-Star auto over i10 & Brio, both in this situation.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 5th October 2012 at 15:41.
Old 5th October 2012, 15:45   #221
BANNED

Quote:
Moreover, the automatic option will be available in S(O) & V variants, & not the S variant.
I would have been shocked if Honda had picked the base S, since any AT is much harsher on the brakes, so the S(O) was the logical choice.
Old 5th October 2012, 15:51   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I would have been shocked if Honda had picked the base S, since any AT is much harsher on the brakes, so the S(O) was the logical choice.
I quoted the versions specially, because I wanted to highlight the difference in the cost of small automatic cars, I haven't driven any automatic yet, & only driven a Civic at most (which could be the costliest car I have driven... or maybe the Safari VX 4x2).

My intention is to share information & learn from your (& other guys') arguments. Probably this can help me make mind for an automatic car someday.
Old 5th October 2012, 15:52   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Overdrive review of car (http://www.overdrive.in/details/2171...ia-first-drive) puts some interesting figures:

- 0-100 kmph @ 17.1 seconds
- Top speed of 140 kmph (restricted I believe)

I feel one is better having the A-Star auto over i10 & Brio, both in this situation.
I was actually looking forward to this car as it would give me a wider choice than the restricted set of i10 AT and A star AT. You are actually saying that the A star AT is a better choice irrespective of the constrained rear bench ? Why do you think this i.e. Brio AT wil not measure up to the A Star AT?
Old 5th October 2012, 16:06   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
I was actually looking forward to this car as it would give me a wider choice than the restricted set of i10 AT and A star AT. You are actually saying that the A star AT is a better choice irrespective of the constrained rear bench ? Why do you think this i.e. Brio AT wil not measure up to the A Star AT?
My point is that you would be carrying 5 people at most (3 in the rear) on any of he 3 cars you buy. If you go through another thread on why A-Star did not sell well, you would observe that one member has actually measured the seats of the A-Star with i10 & concluded that the there is small difference in the bench size of the cars. I bet there wont be much difference in A-Star bench as compared to Brio bench (say 2-3 inches), & there is no difference in the boot size @ 170 liters each. But, there could be over a lakh difference in on road price. The choice is yours, but in case you feel A-Star is not for you, you could still go for i10, & save Rs50k on the on-road price difference.

In the city, you won't find much difference in the performance either (since you are based in Delhi).

But, love is never based on logic... so the choice is yours.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 5th October 2012 at 16:07.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 16:11   #225
BHPian

Quote:
My point is that you would be carrying 5 people at most (3 in the rear) on any of he 3 cars you buy. If you go through another thread on why A-Star did not sell well, you would observe that one

In the city, you won't find much difference in the performance either (since you are based in Delhi).

But, love is never based on logic... so the choice is yours.
Valid points. Sorry I am not the kinds who falls in love at such a high cost.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks