Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:46   #46
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Honda to Launch BRIO Automatic by Diwali EDIT - Clear Pics on Pg 7 & 10

My wife's i10 AT (the newer one with Better AT kmpl) give 8-10 Kmpls in Thane city driving. It is not too dense in traffic terms and this is quite disappointing. My Cielo AT used to give 7 kmpl with a 3 speed box in a much heavier and bigger car. Also the i10 AT box reacts to kick down mode a bit too slowly for any rapid speed gain (about 3 secs) so the speed build up needs to be gradual.

Feel Brio AT will be a better option due to the really low standard set by the Hyundai box. i10 AT is definately fine for someone who wants to do really sedate driving all the time, but it's lack of urgency at all times is a major -ve for someone like me, though OK by my wife - but then she does not like the Brio rear end. - One can't win all the battles in life.
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
No AT badging?
Havent seen AT badging on any of Hondas cars; city, civic, accord or CRV. Why should Brio have AT badging?
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:30   #48
BHPian

My bad, I didn't know the other Honda's don't have AT badging. I've seen AT badging on the Hyundai's and on the A-star too (if I remember right), so I assumed the Honda's would have it as well.

Last edited by johnjacob : 23rd September 2012 at 22:35.
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:10   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
My wife's i10 AT (the newer one with Better AT kmpl) give 8-10 Kmpls in Thane city driving. It is not too dense in traffic terms and this is quite disappointing. My Cielo AT used to give 7 kmpl with a 3 speed box in a much heavier and bigger car. Also the i10 AT box reacts to kick down mode a bit too slowly for any rapid speed gain (about 3 secs) so the speed build up needs to be gradual.

Feel Brio AT will be a better option due to the really low standard set by the Hyundai box. i10 AT is definately fine for someone who wants to do really sedate driving all the time, but it's lack of urgency at all times is a major -ve for someone like me, though OK by my wife - but then she does not like the Brio rear end. - One can't win all the battles in life.
+1 to that
Wifey's i10 AT has given only 10kmpl in Udupi-Manipal runs where traffic is nowhere like our congested metros. If caught in the middle of an overtake and want sudden acceleration, nothing happens. I10 AT take its own sweet time to respond. After driving the Figo with its excellent steering feedback as well, i10 AT is a pretty pain to drive.My wife though is quite happy.
Hope the Brio does better.
Old 24th September 2012, 09:36   #50
BANNED

Just saw a post on another forum with interior and exterior pics of most probably the V. What was interesting was D3, 2 and 1 settings on the shifter. Conforms that it ia a four speed. Possibly a CVT with Presets. Cannot wait.
Old 24th September 2012, 10:59   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

The AT box of the Brio.

Honda to Launch BRIO Automatic by Diwali EDIT - Clear Pics on Pg 7 & 10-untitled.gif
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 11:19   #52
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

But then the i10 too is 4 speed. That by itself is not sufficent in todays times. Hope the Brio box is much more responsive (read fast changing to inputs).

A 5 speed box would have meant better fuel effeciency, but probably added too much to the price for this segment.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:20   #53
BANNED

Thanks RavenAli for confirming my news. Is it India specific shot or not?

A five speed box with a taller fifth may have helped. But then cost goes up, and also do Honda think the engine has enough juice to support this ratio!

Last edited by sgiitk : 24th September 2012 at 11:21.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:46   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Thanks RavenAli for confirming my news. Is it India specific shot or not?

A five speed box with a taller fifth may have helped. But then cost goes up, and also do Honda think the engine has enough juice to support this ratio!
It is the India-specific one. There were rumors earlier that it would have a 5-speed CVT but Honda probably decided against it due to the cost factor.

For this 4-speed variable one, expect a pricing of about 5.40L for the S and 6.15L for the V, ex-showroom, give or take about 5K on either side.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 24th September 2012 at 11:48.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 13:59   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
It is the India-specific one. There were rumors earlier that it would have a 5-speed CVT but Honda probably decided against it due to the cost factor.

For this 4-speed variable one, expect a pricing of about 5.40L for the S and 6.15L for the V, ex-showroom, give or take about 5K on either side.
Thanks a lot for the information. As I have mentioned on another thread I will not be surprised if the Brio AT is more efficient than the i10 Manual. It should definitely have the best fuel efficiency in its class.

Any idea as to when it will be announced. I cannot wait.

Please excuse me for mis-spelling your name.
Old 24th September 2012, 14:08   #56
BHPian

Its not too bad. The competitors A-Star and i10 are also offering only 4 speed AT, right? I think it is a smart thought to keep the cost in check and be on par with the competition in terms of both cost and specification. I think most folks opting for an AT will be happy they have an option of AT in the Brio. It being 5 speed would have been good, but not a necessity.
Do we know when the bookings will potentially start? Given that the cars seem to be ready looking at the pics? Will they be available off the shelf?
Old 24th September 2012, 14:27   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
But then the i10 too is 4 speed. That by itself is not sufficent in todays times.
I think we cannot strictly call it 4 speed AT as in realty it will operate through infinite gear ratios, and providing best/optimum performance/FE. It seems to have 4 preset speeds which come in to picture only if one wants to use them on a specific occasion (like climbing steep incline).
Old 24th September 2012, 16:02   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Thanks a lot for the information. As I have mentioned on another thread I will not be surprised if the Brio AT is more efficient than the i10 Manual. It should definitely have the best fuel efficiency in its class.

Any idea as to when it will be announced. I cannot wait.

Please excuse me for mis-spelling your name.
2 dates are being mulled over - either the 17th or the 19th of October. I should have a confirmed date by Thursday.

Got news that the gear ratios are excellently tuned. Expect the AT to be nicely peppy off the blocks and fuel efficient at the same time. It should be a driver's delight, and a perfect city commuter.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 00:51   #59
BHPian

Guys, I think the Brio too have a 4 speed gear box because a 5 speed one will increase the cost by at least 20-25%.
Old 25th September 2012, 02:40   #60
BHPian

bad move if its a 4 speed. It would reduce my interest in buying one to near zero
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks