Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2012, 00:03   #91
BANNED

Re: The Maruti Way : Worker's side of the story

My god!!! What a truck load of lies and manipulative statements!!!!!!
Bouncers???Short Circuit??????Call me biased as one of my best friends got injured during this "unfortunate incident". Its true that Maruti's PR machine has been relentlessly presenting their side of the story, but what the heck??? The so called "innocent workers" hit even their own supervisors who at times lived in the same place and same pathetic conditions as them. So much for sensitivity towards such people??
Old 10th September 2012, 09:36   #92
BANNED

Why does the govt have to "simply support foreign managements " ? Fear ? Are we Indians afraid of slowing down "growth " ? The same type of incidents had happened at Honda as well earlier .

Poor hapless farmers who give in their land for a "mega project " who are led to believe that their lives would change after factories were set up . Terms like "india shining , India conquering " etc are used and the poor hapless , helpless farmer is led to believe that he , his offsprings would be the biggest beneficiary of growth once the factory is set up .

He is promised jobs , where he would be paid monthly whereas any crop takes a minimum of 3 months for yeild .

Given this backdrop , the govt acquires the land and cheap prices , promises power , water etc to the company .

The company starts production hires the farmer or his sons , daughters etc . Until they start work they are in a honeymoon period , basking in happiness, glory thinking of the "wisest" decision that they have made . Once when they start working then the realisation dawns upon them . They have been robbed of their land and made slaves . They have no where to go , nothing else to do .

Whoever is comparing a software job , accounting job , or a management job to a job at an assembly line is simply an intelligent fool , who assumes things on hindsight . I do not seriously know how many of them have given their lands , to get a software job or was promised a job if he /she parted with his /her land .

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 10th September 2012 at 09:38.
greatmana2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 09:59   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post

Whoever is comparing a software job , accounting job , or a management job to a job at an assembly line is simply an intelligent fool , who assumes things on hindsight .
i guess i am the intelligent fool as i have related these. kindly read and read my post again to understand what i am trying to say.
you are literally comparing the jobs/background/gullibility. i am comparing the mindset of a salaried employee who works under supervision and is answerable for his mistakes. they can never be 100% satisfied with the policies of management. i may come 'an hour late for' work and think "just an hour late, the company wont collapse because of it. but if my supervisor/boss admonishes me for my tardiness do i accept my mistake or resort to violent/non-violent protests.

it is the mindset that is similar not the circumstances/education background. please donot intentionally misunderstand my posts just for the sake of argument.

if that wasnt directed at me .then ignore this post.

also consider that when land is sold by a farmer for the sake of industry , employment is not just for him and his family members but even for those in that area who have no land/ means of sustenance .
as perfect as we want this world to be, necessary evil and unwanted compromises have to be done.
system is flawed because we choose to make it flawed.
Old 10th September 2012, 10:13   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshaguduru View Post
i guess i am the intelligent fool as i have related these. kindly read and read my post again to understand what i am trying to say.
you are literally comparing the jobs/background/gullibility. i am comparing the mindset of a salaried employee who works under supervision and is answerable for his mistakes. they can never be 100% satisfied with the policies of management. i may come 'an hour late for' work and think "just an hour late, the company wont collapse because of it. but if my supervisor/boss admonishes me for my tardiness do i accept my mistake or resort to violent/non-violent protests.

it is the mindset that is similar not the circumstances/education background. please donot intentionally misunderstand my posts just for the sake of argument.

if that wasnt directed at me .then ignore this post.

also consider that when land is sold by a farmer for the sake of industry , employment is not just for him and his family members but even for those in that area who have no land/ means of sustenance .
as perfect as we want this world to be, necessary evil and unwanted compromises have to be done.
system is flawed because we choose to make it flawed.
OOpss! I was not comparing your post or any other post . I just got a chance to read through the whole thread and felt that most of them needed a background on how factories come up and what are the promises that the govt , companies give the farmers or the poor in that area to usurp their land .

Villages do not necessarily constitute farmers .. there are potters , dhobi , saloons , grocers etc . There are lakes , where landless farmers either work on farms for daily wages or they might even go fishing and sell their goods to the farmers .

If compromises are necessary , then where are we heading to ? Isnt growth inflated ? are we not merely being sheep ? If Maruti had been doing things right , why has the govt not taken up the enquiry ? why has it left things to the local police station ? why has the union labour minister not ordered an investigation ?

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 10th September 2012 at 10:14.
Old 10th September 2012, 10:17   #95
ike
BHPian

All companies do promise employment while acquiring land. MSIL did too and gave zero jobs to locals, the people who used to own the land despite even the haryana govt. requesting them to employ at least some locals. Local people only have ancillary jobs like catering etc.
Old 10th September 2012, 10:50   #96
BANNED

Glad that I'm able read the other side of the story as well. Official press releases are Joke especially at the time of crisis management. Whether this happens in Government level or in Private Organization.

Media reports which is most suitable to them and can make profit out of it. Yes i do work in this 'Media' so i know how it works. Many top level heads rolled in the recent past because of biased reporting.

Glad that Independent Journalists / Freelancers are growing in numbers.

As many said our system is flawed as the makers of the system and us choose to make it flawed.

http://www.framepool.com/en/play/533306334

Last edited by wildon : 10th September 2012 at 11:03. Reason: Adding a video
wildon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 11:16   #97
BANNED

The case with Singur was also similar . The people were better informed and not as gullible . There was a movie as well by the name of "shangai"
Old 10th September 2012, 11:27   #98
Senior - BHPian

I have been in a factory - with ITI workers, helpers etc. I have seen the way they are made to work, and the restrictions they have.

Also, been staying near the industrial estates for ages, aware of the problems the labors face.

The points mentioned in the article are very easy to cross check.

1. Tea time of 5min. May be its just that they should not have tea time all together. Let them have in batches.

2. Lunch : Easy to check how far the canteen is from the work floor. Ofcourse, they cannot have the huge canteen inside the floor for so many people. But, if every workers walk, go to the canteen, and wait in queue to get the stuff. Imagine the amount of time is wasted in just getting the food. So, again, management should think of extending the lunch breaks, or put them in batch.

3. Toilets, there would have been incidents of workers lazying around in toilets, and returning late. Lame excuses, so, this is both side needs to correct.

For who compare IT and other soft companies with such factories, i do not think the supervisor uses harsh words, question you embarrassing in front of everyone etc etc. as they are happening in factories.

As for salaries are concerned, we cannot justify any salary. All these MNC have completely changed the pattern. Nokia, when started in TN, they were paying 10K - 12K for 10th and 12th pass. This was couple of years back. They provided bus transport, lunch etc. Slowly after a year, this become a common and workers started saying they are paid less. So, now what? This is an never ending story.
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 11:41   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
All companies do promise employment while acquiring land. MSIL did too and gave zero jobs to locals, the people who used to own the land despite even the haryana govt. requesting them to employ at least some locals. Local people only have ancillary jobs like catering etc.
Are you sure? We living in Gurgaon have a different feeling. As per my information, Maruti, directly or indirectly, is huge employment generator in Gurgaon.

IMO, whatever Gurgaon is today, it is because of Maruti and DLF.
Old 10th September 2012, 12:41   #100
BHPian

If the writings in this blog are true, then Maruti's management is insensitive and inhuman. How can they stop water and lock up toilets. This shows that their intention is to inconvenience the workers (and force them out of the company) and not reconciliation. Such things may not happen even in unorganized sector. I'm no fan of workers' unions, they harm workers' interest more than taking care of them. But here, the workers need an honest union.

I feel bad that a car I once owned was made by Maruti by humiliating their workers.

Is Maruti practicing another form of crony capitalism?

Modi has been inviting Maruti to setup plant in Gujarat. I'm sure he will be privy to this kind of information. It will be interesting to see if Maruti will be given a free hand to continue this kind of despicable practices?

Last edited by sa_kiran : 10th September 2012 at 12:45.
Old 10th September 2012, 13:04   #101
BHPian

Author of the Article is a school friend of mine.
Knowing him, this must be a true story.
I am planning to buy a car, now after reading all this, one thing is for sure! It won't be a Maruti Suzuki.
abhijeetsng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 13:18   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Are you sure? We living in Gurgaon have a different feeling. As per my information, Maruti, directly or indirectly, is huge employment generator in Gurgaon.

This is true . When the land was acquired by maruti for manesar plant . there was a provision in the agreement that they will employ locals from whom the land is acquired ( Part of compensation package ) but MSIL refused for it straightway fearing labor unrest. The than haryana govt removed the clause fearing Maruti will move out of Haryana .

Yes, they have created indirect employment in the region. there is no doubt about that.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 10th September 2012 at 13:19.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:06   #103

There is another interesting read...And this time, its a Professor telling about the adversities of Japanese management theory..And why do they even exist ??

Please read along..

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/a-lean-pr...289232-55.html
Old 10th September 2012, 14:07   #104
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure? .
I read it somewhere. And I was talking about Manesar. Maybe the Govt. professed that only locals would be employed while acquiring land and company refused later. But still we should not let foreign managements treat workers like this.

Quote:
A Maruti, directly or indirectly, is huge employment generator in Gurgaon.

I think you are referring to people who moved to gurgaon because they were employed by MSIL. Locals are employed indirectly mostly. And if the clause about employing locals was removed later by the Govt., it means MSIL from the very beginning were hell bent on mistreating workers. It also shows the Govt. never cared about the workers.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th September 2012 at 14:50. Reason: Use EDIT option in future.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:51   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I read it somewhere. And I was talking about Manesar. Maybe the Govt. professed that only locals would be employed while acquiring land and company refused later. But still we should not let foreign managements treat workers like this.
I do not know about other parts of the country but I have seen the unions in factories of NCR and they are worse than mafias. The Union leaders are backed up by political parties and they have interests in everything else except work.

It is not about the foreign management treating workers. Maruti (and many other companies) is working like this since the time when the majority of the shares were with Indian government. Its the young generation who want to get even more while doing less.

And I do not get the relationship between the removing of clause and Maruti's intention of mistreating the workers. I believe that the clause wuold have been removed to reduce the chances of having a 100% hooligans being hired as workers.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 10th September 2012 at 14:56.

Most Viewed