Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2007, 19:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
lets give credit where its due its not 100% Fiat engine agreed Fiat developed it but with help from GM finance and Suzuki's technology
From where did Suzuki come in between???

JTD engine was produced jointly by Fiat and GM!

Check the details here:
JTD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fiat MultiJet Diesel Wins Engine Of The Year Award
Old 9th October 2007, 20:07   #47
BANNED

Hello! whoever said that Suzuki was involved in the JTD project, Fiat boys are not going to take it very lightly. So, beware!

It was jointly developed by GM and FiAT. If GM means GM alone or not is another matter for discussion. I had read somewhere that some manufacturer from Japan named Suzuki also was involved in the R&D of the JTD project. They were also praised when this engine won some awards. But I dunno if this will take some credit out of FiAT. I don't think so.
Old 9th October 2007, 20:33   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
From where did Suzuki come in between???

JTD engine was produced jointly by Fiat and GM!

Check the details here:
JTD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fiat MultiJet Diesel Wins Engine Of The Year Award

Quote:
Technological help from Suzuki Motor Corporation, Japan has been taken in the development of this engine. The JTD Engine: A Breakthrough In Diesel Technology
This is quoted from wikipedia which you can find in the very link you posted.

This pretty much ends the debate about suzuki involvement in JTD engine, doesn't it?

Last edited by burnt. : 9th October 2007 at 20:42.
Old 9th October 2007, 21:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I had read somewhere that some manufacturer from Japan named Suzuki also was involved in the R&D of the JTD project. They were also praised when this engine won some awards. But I dunno if this will take some credit out of FiAT. I don't think so.
yep i have read the same and lets not get back to this same discussion. It has been discussed hell lot of times earlier. Also i read somewhere on forum posted by BUSA that SX4 maybe 1.6 JTD
Old 9th October 2007, 22:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Well i feel the more people who have helped in development the better. Let all vehicles around come with simmilar engines. Ithe companies can cut costs and if at all they decide to pass it on to the customers, its a win-win situation. After all as far as its a well performing engine and if we get it at low costs who complains about who really owns it.

Right now, if i have a Swift VDi, I own the engine too!!!
Old 9th October 2007, 22:22   #51
BHPian

Maruti makes best small cars and Fiat makes engine Swift VDi is very good example of such joint venture its the best for the customers win-win situation
Old 9th October 2007, 22:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Look at it this way : Atleast, their balance sheets will look better . Selling 15,000 engines a month ought to be more profitable than selling 200 cars.
But dont you think it would become even more difficult to sell your 200 cars since you cant differentiate anything related to the engine. This means more accessories/comfort equipments for differentiation and more money for making people really know that you have something more than just the engine!!!
Old 9th October 2007, 22:31   #53
BHPian

The more the JTD engine sells more the Fiat becomes stronger. I hope it happens.

The Car line up discussed does not have the Adventure listed. That's another to watch in 2008. So Fiat has all segments (No SUV so Far) on JTD. That would be the key for success.
Old 9th October 2007, 22:35   #54
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure that the same 1.3 engine is to be used on the swift as well as the SX4 ? I don't think so.
Old 9th October 2007, 22:38   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
Maruti makes best small cars and Fiat makes engine Swift VDi is very good example of such joint venture its the best for the customers win-win situation

Well saying Maruti makes the best small cars is highly disputable. IMO, they make good VFM small cars and back it up with good A.S.S. But their cars are hardly the best. For one, the build quality of the Swift can definitely improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
But dont you think it would become even more difficult to sell your 200 cars since you cant differentiate anything related to the engine. This means more accessories/comfort equipments for differentiation and more money for making people really know that you have something more than just the engine!!!

Even right now, IMO people buying Fiats are buying them for the incredible built quality and the value they provide.

Well, other cars with the same engine are surely not going beat Fiat in those parameters and with the Grand Punto and Linea coming there sales can only increase.

Last edited by Zappo : 11th October 2007 at 00:39. Reason: posts merged
Old 9th October 2007, 22:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Fiat will never be able to compete with Maruti diesels. Even if their After Sales improves, Maruti will still rule the sales charts. With all cars having the same engine, Fiat will have to educate buyers about their strengths. Good build quality, very good suspension set up with good ride and handling and sharp steering are Fiat fortes. Unfortunately, Indians by nature are not a race that likes or loves to drive. Almost all Fiat strengths appeal to the heart and emotions and will impress people who prefer/love to drive. Neither Fiat has the ability to educate people about their fun to drive cars nor Indians, in general, understand the concept of 'fun to drive'.

Sadly, though, the GP maybe a far superior car to all the hatches in India today, it will be no match for the Swift, Getz, UV-A or Indica on the sales charts.
Old 10th October 2007, 04:41   #57
BANNED

In India (atleast), FiAT screwed up their good name themselves. And it will take them a while to get it back on their crown (I am sure that is possible if FiAT decides to try). So, it's not easy to outsell other manufacturers' cars. But if FiAT does deliver the Linea and Punto promises, then the sales will rise.

It's put perfectly! Atleast it's better to sell 15000 engines a month than selling less than 200 cars a month.

SERVICE! A very important factor which will differentiate these cars from one another. Ultimately, it'll be the customer who wins! :cheering:
Old 10th October 2007, 09:34   #58
BHPian

yaa the only way FIAT can have a comeback is to have fully planed launch, sales and serivce strategy.
There should be some nice advertisements
People should be encouraged to have test drives
they should tell people about the relative compariosons and how they stand above rest of others
There websites should be updated, they should have atleast few contact No. on there websites
Generic people dont know how big brands like Ferrari are asociated with Fiat, informing about such things will create confidence in its potnetial customers
Then they should give training to there sales and serive guys properly, the whole *** part should be overhauled.
Like it should be a rebirth of FIAT in india, if they want to succeed this time.
Old 10th October 2007, 18:50   #59
Senior - BHPian

fiat is hiring new advertising agencies and this time FIAT will do it right. you can easily expect Palio D, Adventure D, punto D, and linea D to give some serious competition to everyone else around. now if tata could only buck up the service part it ll be a world lot better
Old 10th October 2007, 19:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Technically, this is a win win situation for FIAT as well.
Since all the cars will have the same engine, consumers will now start looking at other aspects such as A.S.S, space, comfort, handling, looks, etc. and most of these are Fiats strengths.
Lambo you were kidding, right??

Most Viewed