Team-BHP - New Mahindra scorpio.. again
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   New Mahindra scorpio.. again (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/12618-new-mahindra-scorpio-again.html)

Mahindra R&D and AVL are jointly developing a new engine which will actually use the now cosmetic hood scoop. The highlight of the engine, well its 70Kg lighter than the current one, so that changes made at the rear for handling will now actually have some effect.

Yeah i heard about it on some automobile programme on tv. But any idea when its coming?

Drifter

I dont think anyone will want to buy a Scorpio when theres permanently a new, improved one in the wings.

But anyway, developement is good!!

70 kgs off? How much then does the current one weigh!

GTO

The GVW is 2510kg and the engine is very very heavy, infact a major reason for the horrible handling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979
The GVW is 2510kg and the engine is very very heavy, infact a major reason for the horrible handling.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't GVW include the full complement of passengers and luggage that a vehicle can carry?

If I remember correctly, the unladen weight of the scorpio is about 1900 kgs.

You are right. But Scorpio website does not mention unladen weight. Actually 1900kgs is also too heavy for such a small SuV. It should not be more than 1600kgs or so. Shaving of 70kg of the engine and 50-60kg odd from here and ther should bring it down to around 1800kg or so.

Quote:

Shaving of 70kg of the engine .

doesnt it look like too big a task.... what it would be like in % terms...any idea of weight of the engine...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
doesnt it look like too big a task.... what it would be like in % terms...any idea of weight of the engine...

Yes. But if they manage to pull off this coup the results will be eye popping. Not only will the handling undergo a sea-change but the vehicle will become even more nimble and agile. And if in the process they manage to extract more juice from the engine god only knows what kind of a hotrod will this scorpio become! :Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't GVW include the full complement of passengers and luggage that a vehicle can carry?

If I remember correctly, the unladen weight of the scorpio is about 1900 kgs.

Yes thats right the Scorpio is about 1900KG. The Safari is said to be over 2000KG. The Honda CRV is about 1600KG.

@GTO; the current 2609cc crde engine, with F.I.P and 7.5 litres of oil, weighs in at about 350 kgs+.

the scorpio is rumoured to be undergoing a sea of changes. if the sources are right, the "new" engine is supposed to be twin cam, with around 135 ps+. an all new platform is expected in late 07', along the lines of tata's X2 platforms (X3 is on the same design lines, which would probably be the "finished" product. the X2 was displayed as tata Xover).

it seems mahindra plans to go places, what with the logan coming up to compete with the indigo et al...and at about 4.5-5.0 lacs, the 1.6 litre petrol and 1.3 litre diesel mills from renault is going to give tata nightmares... hail competition...

Looks like Mahindra & Mahindra are trying to outdo Maruti and Hyundai with their new improved products. A 'new' Scorpio was brought out hardly a month or two back and we already have a 'newer' one! And there is a 'still newer' one about to come out in 2007? Wonder whats going to happen to resale values if they keep doing that. Wouldn't be surprised if a few weeks after the still newer one in 2007, they come out with a 'still still newer one'.

Why didn't they make these engine improvements before bringing out the current new Scorpio?

I think it is good that Mahindra are not sitting on their laurels and are making an effort to keep products looking fresh externally and also looking at developing things on the mechanical side by the way of new engines.

It is better than have a manufacturer sitting back and taking it easy.

>>Why didn't they make these engine improvements before bringing out the current new Scorpio?

Everyone was complaining about the handling etc so it made sense to get the product out as soon as soon as it was ready.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigman
Yes thats right the Scorpio is about 1900KG. The Safari is said to be over 2000KG. The Honda CRV is about 1600KG.

It is 1880 Kgs to be exact.

Quote:

You are right. But Scorpio website does not mention unladen weight. Actually 1900kgs is also too heavy for such a small SuV. It should not be more than 1600kgs or so. Shaving of 70kg of the engine and 50-60kg odd from here and ther should bring it down to around 1800kg or so.

Petrol engined softraoder Honda CRV weighs 1550 Kgs,, Endeavour and Safari tip 2000 Kgs .. So 1880 Kgs for Scorpio is not way off the mark..Still a reduction of 200 kgs if possible will do wonders

And Tuscons power output is 112 PS and 25 Kgm against 115 BHP and 26.3 Kgm of scorpio , both are crd , turbo and tuscon costs almost twice as much