Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 17:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW considering Compact Sedan. New 1.5 Diesel codenamed EA189

I only hope they use the 1.5 diesel engine in their polo as well. The 1.2 is horribly underpowered. If it is incompatible there is always the option of the 1.4 tdi engine as used in other polos globally.

I don't understand this whole Indian obsession with the sedan but I guess VW has to follow local market trends and thus build cars. A perfect example is the original beetle they built for 50 years in Latin America.
Old 14th September 2012, 18:23   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Aplology, but, I didn't got your above point as the figures/ ratios are grossly incorrect. Verna sells more than 5K units & Vento & Rapid both manage 4-4.5K units on a monthly basis.
I had just taken an approach to explain the twin model sale. The numbers were just arbitrary and random, not real life based. It was only o give an idea.
negativeH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 19:16   #18
BHPian

VW seems to be totally confused with respect to brand positioning of VW and Skoda cars. I think it is futile for VW to try to compete with Maruti and Hyundai. It should rather let Skoda fight it out in that space. IMHO VW should create and occupy a relatively affordable premium slot by selling premium cars with good engines, features and premium service at say 25% premium over hyundai/honda. It may not fetch volumes right away, but i think this category will grow as the market matures.
Old 14th September 2012, 19:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakasse
We had enough of VW with it's branding, unique advertising and multiple pages of advertisement about their inventions. They have a gem of an engine though petrol - Volkswagen 1.4-litre TSI Twincharger and why they are not delivering it here. If you are serious about the market and need to place your brand as premium then you should also give us the best technology. If they do that then i would be their first customer to be driving away their car with TSI turbocharged engine.

Also there are talks that they will be delivering TSI with one Turbo charger and not two to reduce the costs which is not a good strategy.
I think twincharger implies a turbocharger and a supercharger, both forced induction, but different ways. A supercharger is more efficient and does not have the so called turbo lag, hence expensive. So they might be launching only the turbo version, if at all.

I think they also have a 1.2 TSI, though I could be mistaken here.
Old 14th September 2012, 20:26   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07

I think twincharger implies a turbocharger and a supercharger, both forced induction, but different ways. A supercharger is more efficient and does not have the so called turbo lag, hence expensive. So they might be launching only the turbo version, if at all.

I think they also have a 1.2 TSI, though I could be mistaken here.
The regular 1.4 TSI turbocharged petrol (122 ps) is what we have in the Jetta. The 160ps twincharged 1.4 TSI is available abroad (in Jetta, Golf etc.) but probably did not make it to our shores due to the inferior fuel quality in India.

They do have the 1.2 TSI (105ps) which is quite a standard engine for the Polo outside India.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 21:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakasse View Post
Also there are talks that they will be delivering TSI with one Turbo charger and not two to reduce the costs which is not a good strategy.
The TSI is not a twin turbo unit. It runs on one turbo.
Old 14th September 2012, 21:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
The TSI is not a twin turbo unit. It runs on one turbo.
Sorry i meant to say, it coming with no super charger and only turbo charger to reduce the cost.
Old 15th September 2012, 08:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Read in the newspaper today that VW is planning Rs.2000 crore investment in Kerala for an engine assembly plant. Maybe that's for their new 1.5L diesel?

Source
Old 15th September 2012, 08:50   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky
Read in the newspaper today that VW is planning Rs.2000 crore investment in Kerala for an engine assembly plant. Maybe that's for their new 1.5L diesel?

Source
Note, it is the government announcing this, not VW. Think of the fun with unions, bands, hartals!
Old 15th September 2012, 09:37   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky

Source
Kerala? Man, are they insane? I thought VW was mad for putting out a four page ad launching a car without letting dealers know pricing etc. but if this is true, that has been proved beyond doubt. Kerala is a great place for vacations, Ayurvedic spas etc. And Mallus make great factory workers in places where protesting or forming unions gets you shot (aka the Gelf). But Kerala is their vacation home - they are not going to work on an assembly line there. -

Before someone beats me up, let me confess that my Mom hailed from Kerala.
Old 15th September 2012, 10:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

Source
A plant in kerala. I hope it actually happens. That would set the ball rolling for south india's industrial hub, heck , even outbeating sipcot, hosur, bidadi etc.
Old 15th September 2012, 10:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Oops!

Spoke too soon.
Old 15th September 2012, 10:39   #28
BHPian

A little bit of the topic , it will be good to showcase Kerala heritage today(kerala bandh for diesel hike) to the investors.
Old 15th September 2012, 13:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

From my understanding,the article says this new 1.5tdi whenever launched, will be replacing BOTH 1.2 and 1.6 tdi engines. I'm not too sure if its a good idea to replace the 1.6TDi in the Vento/Rapid with a 1.5TDi.
Polo buyers will be mighty pleased with this news!So it is reasonabe expect the 2014 Polo to come with a 1.5TDi, good news. With the new fiesta hatch expected in 2013, Polo with 1.5Tdi will heat up the competition.

Good move by VW to decide on a 1.5Tdi!
Old 15th September 2012, 13:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Oops!

Spoke too soon.
Seems like all our CMs share the same genes . The one in mine is one short of sending a rocket to Saturn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
From my understanding,the article says this new 1.5tdi whenever launched, will be replacing BOTH 1.2 and 1.6 tdi engines. I'm not too sure if its a good idea to replace the 1.6TDi in the Vento/Rapid with a 1.5TDi.
Polo buyers will be mighty pleased with this news!So it is reasonabe expect the 2014 Polo to come with a 1.5TDi, good news. With the new fiesta hatch expected in 2013, Polo with 1.5Tdi will heat up the competition.

Good move by VW to decide on a 1.5Tdi!
I would say so. Hopefully they can carry over the characteristics of the 1.6 TDI to the 1.5 TDI and by that I mean the power and whoosh . I think cars with 1.6 engines and above attract a 27% duty after the recent budget announcement increased from 22% as far as I can recall. So a 1.5 should attract lower excise duty too. But its the time factor that matters and VW has been found to be very slow to react to changes. Unless the 1.5 arrives soon some more policy changes can create more hurdles for VW.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks