Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2012, 12:57   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes B-Class launched @ 21.49 Lakhs : Official Report

I have a feeling this will be a big dud for mercedes.
This just does not have enough presence from the side, full view.
Front is all too familiar,but quiet sub-10 lac hatch from every other angle.
Old 19th September 2012, 13:03   #32
BHPian

the rear seat looks a little too upright to me, not a comfortable slouching seat and definitely not a sedan replacement seat for chauffered people. When you have a 21 lakh car, especially with all that boot space, these guys are missing out a big trick by not having reclinable seats in the back.
Old 19th September 2012, 13:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

IMO, i they have already sold out the 250 vehicles earmarked for India, they won't be anymore concerned about the future sales. After all, India is not a big market for vehicles priced above Rs.20 lacs.

Moreover, I do not think they plan to launch the diesel in near future, unless they would be really concerned with the numbers in India. Sales numbers lost in India can be recovered elsewhere, even China, which is a much bigger market for luxuries as compared to India, & is not diesel dominant demand market.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 18:24   #34
BHPian

This will be a great pre-worshipped deal. A petrol Mercedes MPV, is not going to be used as the primary car, nor as a high miler or an enthusiast's choice.
Also, the first owner profile will be one who is using it as a second / third car, so it will be replaced within 3-4 years.

A 4 years old B Class might be available in Mumbai for 10 - 12 lakhs pre-owned, and hardly used.
Old 19th September 2012, 23:50   #35
BHPian

Can we have the Golf now please?
Actually the Golf will be a segment lower than this. The A-class will be its competitor but no harm in wishful thinking, right?

I really like the B. Its something refreshing. Hopefully i will see one on the road. The road presence could be decent.
Old 20th September 2012, 00:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Can we have the Golf now please?
Actually the Golf will be a segment lower than this. The A-class will be its competitor but no harm in wishful thinking, right?

I really like the B. Its something refreshing. Hopefully i will see one on the road. The road presence could be decent.
The Golf would be in the 15+ lakh price range, given it is priced similar to the Jetta the world over. A golf TDI would ring up a 20 lakh price for sure if equipped with all the bells and whistles!
Old 21st September 2012, 14:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
The Golf would be in the 15+ lakh price range, given it is priced similar to the Jetta the world over. A golf TDI would ring up a 20 lakh price for sure if equipped with all the bells and whistles!
You mean the Golf GTI will be 20 lakhs right?
TDI is what they have as the badging for normal diesel variants.
GTI is the one that causes incontinence.
Old 21st September 2012, 15:40   #38
BHPian

It might have the quality, but I still can't come to terms of it being called a "sports tourer"! It just doesn't have anything remotely close to being called "sports".

I think this is a good option only for rich wives, period.
Old 21st September 2012, 17:38   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
This will be a great pre-worshipped deal. A petrol Mercedes MPV, is not going to be used as the primary car, nor as a high miler or an enthusiast's choice.
Also, the first owner profile will be one who is using it as a second / third car, so it will be replaced within 3-4 years.

A 4 years old B Class might be available in Mumbai for 10 - 12 lakhs pre-owned, and hardly used.
You just mentioned my thoughts here I like what i see here. Infact, this seems better than X1 (even though it's not a diesel one). The exterior and interior design are spot-on, however, not a great fan of the alloys shown here. Like someone mentioned an AMG styled would look great!! Personally would like to see this do well in India, since I will be on a lookout for a pre-worshipped one 2-3 years down the lane as a replacement for my Skoda Fabia. Hope MB will provide an extended warranty for 4-5 years.
Old 21st September 2012, 18:05   #40
BHPian

Demo cars have arrived pretty fast. White B class on TC plates spotted in Mumbai by a friend. Sadly, no pics :(
Old 21st September 2012, 19:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
You mean the Golf GTI will be 20 lakhs right?
TDI is what they have as the badging for normal diesel variants.
GTI is the one that causes incontinence.
Wishful thinking. GTI will be 20+! Anyway, we are veering off topic here. Merc B class.. So they planned to sell 250 a year? I thought B and C class are Merc's volume models. Why would they restrict the numbers if there is demand?
Old 21st September 2012, 20:21   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Wishful thinking. GTI will be 20+! Anyway, we are veering off topic here. Merc B class.. So they planned to sell 250 a year? I thought B and C class are Merc's volume models. Why would they restrict the numbers if there is demand?
That's the plan. But not for now.

Mercedes will obviously look at volumes, but they can't hope for much with only a petrol variant. In time, they should introduce a slew of variants including a few diesels.
Old 21st September 2012, 21:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

I seem to love this vehicle. this is a good option for entry into the luxury brand car club. for around 27 lacs OTR we should have a Merc. The X1 and Q3 are too far away in price.

unfortunately i cannot afford this in first hand but yes, will wait till it hits the second hand market and buy a good example at 12 lacs after 4-5 years. Petrol will touch 1500/175 per litre and so prices would drop drastically (2007 accord is available for 4 lacs) and i would bit it.

There would be some enthusiast who would look to buy this for the brand then probably would think that an SUV or a sedan might suit him better or maybe one could not fuel the petrol owing to rising petrol prices or someone is moving abroad. I will target some people.

Yes - as someone mentioned, it would be for my wife.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 21st September 2012 at 21:37.
Old 23rd September 2012, 13:09   #44
BHPian

A question :
My friend is looking to buy a B class. In one of the pictures on this thread, the fuel tank flap shows 95 Octane rating. Is it true? Does this car need 95 Octane petrol?
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:09   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
A question :
My friend is looking to buy a B class. In one of the pictures on this thread, the fuel tank flap shows 95 Octane rating. Is it true? Does this car need 95 Octane petrol?
the octane rating in germany is way different its 95 ron which is prolly 87 or 89 oct realistically. most new cars these days can run lower octane fuel if required. for example when i worked for audi we used to put 89 in the R8 sometimes if speed 97 wasnt available. the engines ecu just de tunes the engine and puts it on a less powerful map on the ecu that would prevent it from knocking.
i<3turbo is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks