Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2012, 17:23   #61
vij
BHPian

Re: Mercedes B-Class launched @ 21.49 Lakhs : Official Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

I wonder what the price will be once they start making them in India whenever that happens.

Personally I would look at the pricing abroad and compare it with the India prices before considering such a vehicle.
It seems the B class price will remain the same even after localization. Merc supposedly wanted to test the demand and kept the price sane(for lack of better word) even as a CBU.
Old 25th November 2012, 17:26   #62
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij

It seems the B class price will remain the same even after localization. Merc supposedly wanted to test the demand and kept the price sane(for lack of better word) even as a CBU.
Ah! So what would the equivalent price of a B Class be in say the UK or Europe or Australia?
Is the India price of approx. 25 lacs comparable?
Old 25th November 2012, 17:51   #63
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Ah! So what would the equivalent price of a B Class be in say the UK or Europe or Australia?
Little less than £23k will be the OTR I guess.
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cont...torisation_tag

It will be interesting to know the A class pricing. If they get the base petrol, great chance of it being priced about 18L ex-showroom. The diesel variant pricing could be pretty close to the B class.

Last edited by vij : 25th November 2012 at 17:57.
Old 25th November 2012, 18:02   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For the B180 Sports variant we have in India, the price is indeed comparable. Just tried the configurator on the UK website, and the price comes to around GBP 26.5K, which is close to INR 24 lakhs.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 18:23   #65
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Nice insights there vij and vb. If indeed the India price is similar to the UK or Eur price for similar spec levels, then it is indeed a good deal!
Old 25th November 2012, 18:30   #66
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
For the B180 Sports variant we have in India, the price is indeed comparable. Just tried the configurator on the UK website, and the price comes to around GBP 26.5K, which is close to INR 24 lakhs.
Thats great news actually - Indeed, one can expect a ~18L price for the A class petrol I hope they get that here.

Last edited by vij : 25th November 2012 at 18:32.
Old 25th February 2013, 10:42   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
My immediate family is considering to buy the B class and they wanted my opinion on it. I went thro' the T-BHP thread to get a head up on the B. In Chennai the OTR for the Sports Tourer Version is 32L. Delivery January 2013 onwards. Available in 3 colours. White Silver and Red. The only concern they have is that the B is available in the Petrol Spec as of now. The SA claims 10KMPL in city and 14KMPL in Highway traffic.

In my opinion this looks spacious than the C Class. Moreover they own the Jetta which is similar in size to the C. The B class will give them the satisfaction of owing the STAR badge which is an aspiration of many an Indian Family.

BTW the B is going to be the replacement for the Beat!! Some one in this thread mentioned a family replacing the Nano with the B.
Did they get it?

And is there some warranty included in this price? Or like we have for BMW, is there a service package?
Old 25th February 2013, 10:59   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Did they get it?

And is there some warranty included in this price? Or like we have for BMW, is there a service package?
The Petrol only variant in the B Class was a deal breaker!

They opted for the C Class Avantgrade, the dealership offered a substantial year end discount on this model which worked out to a few lakhs more than the B Class which was the deal clincher in this case!

Last edited by sameer sultan : 25th February 2013 at 11:15.
Old 25th February 2013, 11:34   #69
BANNED

Looks very interesting. A three pronged star for about 25L. The issue is what are the maintenance costs going to be? I am comparing it with my Civic.
Old 25th February 2013, 16:57   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Looks very interesting. A three pronged star for about 25L. The issue is what are the maintenance costs going to be? I am comparing it with my Civic.
I don't think comparing maintenance costs with a Civic makes sense. Forget the price of this car, cuz service charges are more or less same for any car from a reputed brand (correct me if I'm wrong). A normal oil change will always be costly at the authorised service centre. If this isn't the case, then maybe the A-Class will be cheaper in maintenance.

But going by the leg and boot space these cars offer, I'd rather settle for a Civic than spend more money and own a smaller car for the sake of a 3-pointed star.
Old 26th February 2013, 09:06   #71
Senior - BHPian

I think B class is quite spacious. I had been to Inox in Panjim on Sunday and saw a B class on display. Unlike the malls in Bangalore (where people are shooed away from touching the car), we were invited to sit inside the car and get a feel of things. The marketing guy explained all the features.
He did not even take our contact info, saying we'll visit the showroom anyway, if we are interested. And we spent about 30 minutes in the car!

I am 6 feet tall. I adjusted the driver seat for my needs and then saw the space at the back. It reminded me of the space in Cruze. I have never been in Civic's back seat, so I cannot comment.

Even the boot space is quite large. Note that, for size comparison's sake, it is much longer than Ertiga. Although bonnet of the B class is longer (as it has to pack in more mechanicals), I felt the boot space is a lot more than sedans of this length.
Old 26th February 2013, 12:57   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
The Petrol only variant in the B Class was a deal breaker!

They opted for the C Class Avantgrade, the dealership offered a substantial year end discount on this model which worked out to a few lakhs more than the B Class which was the deal clincher in this case!
Yes, it comes only in petrol. Will try to get info from dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Same doubt Its in the Fortuner/Santa Fe range and hence the idea of checking it out .

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th February 2013 at 11:32. Reason: Please avoid abbreviations of car names :)
Old 26th February 2013, 13:12   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Yes, it comes only in petrol. Will try to get info from dealer.
The diesel will be here in a month or two. Either the B180cdi or the B200cdi.
Old 5th July 2013, 23:38   #74
Senior - BHPian

Official: Mercedes Benz B-Class Diesel launch on 11th July 2013

Mercedes Benz India will continue its product onslaught with the launch of the diesel powered B-Class sports tourer. A large hatchback, the B-Class has all the trappings of a mini-MPV owing to its versatility. The addition of the diesel heart could make the B-Class a more attractive buy in the diesel-obsessed luxury car segment of India, in which over 80% of car sales come from diesel powered cars.

Mercedes B-Class launched @ 21.49 Lakhs : Official Report-mercedes-benz-bclass-1.jpg

The B-Class Diesel will feature the 2.2 liter-4 cylinder heart, the same unit that powers the A-Class diesel model. This engine will output 107 Bhp of peak power and 250 Nm of peak torque. Alhough this engine is available in a range of tunes, what with the same motor's powerful versions powering C-Class and E-Class car models, Mercedes Benz India seems to have chosen to detune the engine on its entry level luxury car models in order to create a better sense of differentiation.

The price strategy of the B-Class is expected to be similar to that of the A-Class, in that the diesel powered models could be priced lower than the petrol versions, through the elimination of a few features on the former. The B-Class Diesel will be a CBU import until 2014. Mercedes Benz has plans of commencing CKD assembly of both its MFA (modular front architecture) platform based cars from 2014. The same year will also see the launch of another MFA car, the CLA sedan.

Mercedes B-Class launched @ 21.49 Lakhs : Official Report-mercedes-benz-bclass-2.jpg

The CKD assembly will happen at Mercedes Benz's Chakan assembly unit, off Pune, where the brand already assembles the C-Class, E-Class, ML-Class and S-Class models. Soon, the GL-Class SUV will join the CKD brigade. Mercedes Benz is looking to recapture lost market share in the Indian car market, from rivals such as Audi and BMW. This explains the slew of launches that Mercedes has lined up for India, a launch program that's more aggressive than that of both Audi and BMW.

Mercedes Benz, which is stuck with the image of being a staid brand of sorts, when compared to its Teuton rivals such as Audi and BMW, has been trying to change its image. One such measure, spearheaded by former Mercedes Benz India head Mr Peter Honegg involved high performance AMG cars. AMG models were made available at most Mercedes India dealerships for a car buyer to touch, feel and drive.

Mercedes B-Class launched @ 21.49 Lakhs : Official Report-mercedes-benz-bclass-3.jpg

Through this measure, the brand wanted to convey its youthfulness, and its focus on high performance and driving pleasure. The MFA range of cars such as the A-Class and B-Class, priced well under 30 lakh rupees, is another move reaffirming Mercedes Benz's commitment to attract a younger crop of buyers. The brand is also highly active on social media outlets such as Twitter and Facebook, mediums through which it can connect to younger buyers and fans. On whether all these measures translate into actual success at the hustings remains to be seen.
JayPrashanth is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 15:17   #75

Hi,

I'm considering an entry level luxury badge with diesel engine. B class appeared (relatively) more value for money than A class considering this may be used for our frequent day and/ or weekend drives with family (wife, teenage kids and father - all 5'9" to 6'). In addition to seating 3 in the rear, B class has larger baggage space. I'm looking for inputs or pointers to objective reviews/ feedback (like team-bhp) which can help me make a decision. Considering activity on this thread on B class as one indication of interest - this vehicle obviously has'nt gotten enough attention. Should I be looking at other vehicles instead? I hear BMW is soon coming up with 1 series. Is it worth waiting for it or would that be a A class comparo? While I like great driving dynamics, on Indian roads I prefer safety, comfort, ride quality higher and needless to say "kitna deti hai"? :-) I'd greatly appreciate your inputs, suggestions, feedback. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed